• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

24 850 NA Build

M
Nov 5, 2012
Sicamous B.C
Morning guys, Not going to rely on my 24 boost showing up before december hah, anyone in Canada have theirs built yet on the website?

But onto the topic, going to be building my 24 NA that's at the dealer pretty extensive.

Whats everyones best bang for the buck recommendations , likely will go with the TRS clutching and alignment, want to go with a stage 1 or 1.5 kit don't know if I wanna swap the head around maybe just full pipes , not to keen on twin unless u can sell me on them , just no experience with brands for pipes and tunes ect. is the NA worth doing an ecu tune or is it a waste of money! cheers!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Gear down and then ride it to see what clutching is required. Use acceleration tests to see where it falls short and chase those. eg. off the line, midrange, backshift etc. There are decent gains to be had over stock. The stock setup is slow to react and runs farther from the exhaust valve opening rpm than I like. If you run just under that rpm it is quick to react when you hit the throttle.

M
Nov 5, 2012
Sicamous B.C
Gear down and then ride it to see what clutching is required. Use acceleration tests to see where it falls short and chase those. eg. off the line, midrange, backshift etc. There are decent gains to be had over stock. The stock setup is slow to react and runs farther from the exhaust valve opening rpm than I like. If you run just under that rpm it is quick to react when you hit the throttle.
shouldn't the 2.75s all come with QD2 now? which is Pretty well the best gear down available, Did do pro gears on my Axys and for sure 100% needed, but the QD2s are even lower

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
shouldn't the 2.75s all come with QD2 now? which is Pretty well the best gear down available, Did do pro gears on my Axys and for sure 100% needed, but the QD2s are even lower
QD2 wasn't low enough for me. I went with a TKI, geared down 10% more. The spare belts are 25% of the cost of the QD belts so if you feel you should carry a spare belt you have almost paid for the TKI kit if you sell the QD2 gears and belt.

M
Nov 5, 2012
Sicamous B.C
I would also add balancing your churches to your list.
we do have a reputable company in town for that, haven't had an issue on my axys tho.
QD2 wasn't low enough for me. I went with a TKI, geared down 10% more. The spare belts are 25% of the cost of the QD belts so if you feel you should carry a spare belt you have almost paid for the TKI kit if you sell the QD2 gears and belt.
oh good info! i was eyeing a QD2 for my Axys and could only get into pro gears! so re sale should be super easy! thanks!

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
Best upgrades are clutching, skidoo track, and geardown. Have built many axys 850's and matryx 850's with this set up. Depending on bugget, but, some ZRP light weight parts for the primary along with my clutching. ( which has been tested and tuned all over BC.) then a Team tied secondary, Kurts gear down (2.38 ratio and comes with 2 belts), drivers, and the new 2024 skidoo free ride track. Send me a PM if you want some more detail.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Best upgrades are clutching, skidoo track, and geardown. Have built many axys 850's and matryx 850's with this set up. Depending on bugget, but, some ZRP light weight parts for the primary along with my clutching. ( which has been tested and tuned all over BC.) then a Team tied secondary, Kurts gear down (2.38 ratio and comes with 2 belts), drivers, and the new 2024 skidoo free ride track. Send me a PM if you want some more detail.
I only would recommend a track that hooks up better for a guy who rides agressively and likes to climb. For anyone who desires easy handling, a track that slips a bit makes a huge improvement in initiation to putting the sled on edge. It is important to know what the rider is trying to achieve when quantifying "performance".

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
I only would recommend a track that hooks up better for a guy who rides agressively and likes to climb. For anyone who desires easy handling, a track that slips a bit makes a huge improvement in initiation to putting the sled on edge. It is important to know what the rider is trying to achieve when quantifying "performance".
Each to their own opinion i guess. I prefer having a mountain sled hook up and move forward instead of "slipping" and waiting for enough track speed to move forward. A better track allows less throttle input and eliminates any sudden forward lurches as the "slip" finally hooks up but because of high track speeds it puts you out of position. Additionally, any climbs and ground speed needed are greatly increased. This is a calculated increase in "performance".

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Each to their own opinion i guess. I prefer having a mountain sled hook up and move forward instead of "slipping" and waiting for enough track speed to move forward. A better track allows less throttle input and eliminates any sudden forward lurches as the "slip" finally hooks up but because of high track speeds it puts you out of position. Additionally, any climbs and ground speed needed are greatly increased. This is a calculated increase in "performance".
Best plan is to have one of each ? That is what I'm doing this season.

M
Nov 5, 2012
Sicamous B.C
pretty aggressive rider, bow ties , steep terrain Ect, last sled was silber turbo'd and such, i'm sure ill be okay with the 2.75 if not i can get my hands on lots of power claws for cheap i could 3" swap it easy,

so no one recommends an ecu tune on the NA really then eh?

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
pretty aggressive rider, bow ties , steep terrain Ect, last sled was silber turbo'd and such, i'm sure ill be okay with the 2.75 if not i can get my hands on lots of power claws for cheap i could 3" swap it easy,

so no one recommends an ecu tune on the NA really then eh?
I have done a few Silber 850 NA tunes and they do run strong. They claim some decent HP and the cost is very reasonable.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
I have a tied sitting in the shop, be curious to know what setup you'd run. can pm me if you like..
Ride around Sicamous / Kamloops / McBride area. All 7000' and below. Not super aggressive rider these days, but always looking to get the best outta the old gal ! '19 Axys 850 w 155 2.6"

F
Jan 3, 2008
Hey Teth-Air,
Are you running turbo or NA? Also what track length? Should longer tracks (165") use lower gearing and shorter tracks (155") use higher gearing given the same power plant.

Premium Features