• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

When it comes to FIT and WEIGHT, what do you prefer?

Do you Prefer to Ride a Vest or Pack style, for Avalanche AirBag Protection?

• I Prefer to Ride the VEST!

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I Prefer to Ride the Traditional PACK!

Votes: 63 50.4%
  • I dont Ride either, but this POLL may Help me Decide.

Votes: 35 28.0%

• Total voters

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
I would not buy that pack/vest just because of how exposed the shovel handle and probe are. Way to many of mine laying somewhere in the backcountry because of a pack I used to have like that. I know that doesn't have anything to do with fit but if you (blown motor) want to give snowpulse some feedback that would be mine.

You'd be wrong then
2 yrs of this pack and probe and shovel....I'm in the trees all the time with this vest/pack I feel that bag getting nailed by branches as I spin around and blast through and over trees I also jump with it on as well as re-entry jumps and fall all over the place with this on...if you lose something...that's on you...not the vest

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Not trying to offend you, just my experience with similar looking shovel/probe holders. IMO a bag or vest should have a fully contained sleeve with a hood that buckles or chinches down over the top of the handle or have them fully contained inside the pack making them impossible to lose while riding... Someones life may depend on them being there.

Last edited:
S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
My vote is leave the shovel , handle and probe right where they are. Gotta an awful lot of miles on 2 different packs, never lost a shovel or a handle. Opening the whole thing or undoing a bunch of flaps and crap is a pain, and actually the flaps can open just as easy as the securing straps. I would never buy any pack without shovel, handle, and probe accessible from outside.

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
I like the backpack better. Have not worn a vest but I like to pack a lot of stuff and they are easy to carry. Vest seems more complicated to me.

As far as the shovel goes id dump that cheap HMK one anyway and get a nice one that collapses down more and is stronger. I use this one with my ABS pack and with it stored in the shovel pouch on the outside the handle barley sticks up above the top of the pack. Ive never bumped it with my head and its never snagged a branch and is way faster to get out than having to mess with that style. I had that same shovel for a few years.

ortovox-kodiak-3.1-shovel.jpg

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
I like the backpack better. Have not worn a vest but I like to pack a lot of stuff and they are easy to carry. Vest seems more complicated to me.

As far as the shovel goes id dump that cheap HMK one anyway and get a nice one that collapses down more and is stronger. I use this one with my ABS pack and with it stored in the shovel pouch on the outside the handle barley sticks up above the top of the pack. Ive never bumped it with my head and its never snagged a branch and is way faster to get out than having to mess with that style. I had that same shovel for a few years.

ortovox-kodiak-3.1-shovel.jpg

The HMK is one of the best shovels out there period.

I ride in a pack. The vest felt too short and odd for my long torso. I have asked snowpulse to make the vest in a long/tall style for us taller dudes. Also it takes far too long to get out of the vest and get to your shovel probe.

The new packs have much better buckles to hold shovels and handles on the outside of the pack. Hooking the handle on a tree till pull you off the sled before it breaks the new buckles/straps. (dont ask me how I know) :face-icon-small-blu

Last point, and this is more FYI. But shovels on the outside are easier to get to and quicker to assemble. 30 seconds to 1 minute may be the difference between life and death. Also, get rid of your covers for probes. Fiddling around trying to open the probe cover and pull the probe out will cost you precious time as well. Again, another 30 seconds to 1 minute getting cover off probe may not see like a lot of time, but could mean the difference between life and death.

Always wear your crotch strap too!

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
I am a huge fan of the vest after wearing one for 50+ days so far this season. Personally, I like the fit of it and how it disperses the weight. I have a minimum of essential gear that I carry and experience with 5 different airbag models. Of those, I prefer the vest. I'm not very broad and the wider shoulder straps fit me very well. I also wear the vest for all jumps and drops and have not felt like it effects me negatively in any way. The vest of my choice is the new one from SnowPulse. It has been redesigned for this season(along with their entire HIGHMARK line). I really like the level of adjust-ability to create a custom fit. I love the large front pockets and the organized storage setup within the pack. I like the option of armor as well, but I still wear my evs snow vest under my jacket. Phatty mentioned a longer version, I would like to also see a small shorter version for ladies and younger riders. Regardless of what brand or setup you prefer and go with, make sure you are wearing it in the proper position and familiar with all features(including the crotch strap). Most people that I see are wearing their packs hanging down their back. Not sure how that is comfortable, but more importantly there is a recommended position in the user manual of where to have the pack positioned. On our other SnowPulse packs, that position is so that the top of the pack is level with the top of your shoulders. Here are some updated photos of the new vest.

attachment.php

attachment.php

DSC01226.jpg DSC01227.jpg

lucasMX358

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
Dickinson, ND
Last year my buddy and i bought avy gear, we both bought snowpulse highmarks, i bought the "pack" and he bought the "vest", hands down both great products and in my eyes, anypack is better than no pack!!! He loves his vest and i love my pack, but as stated above, the vest distributes the weight through out and doesnt feel likes its hanging off of you. If i was a to buy another, i honestly dont know what i would buy, vest or pack. But reguardless, i'll have some sort of avy protection on my back!!! HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT, instead of NEEDING IT AND NOT HAVING IT.

B

boondocker155

Sep 5, 2013
I rode all last season with the SnowPulse vest. I love the fit of it. I don't even notice the weight of it. It is like wearing an extra layer though. I usually just wear a t shirt and a non insulated jacket under it. I also really like the chest pads that come with it. I don't worry as much about getting skewered by a tree..

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
I'm new to both styles, just in the process of getting a BCA pack. I like lots of room to carry "stuff" and it looks like the vests don't have the room in them. From the guys I've spoken to that are selling their 25L or smaller bags, the reason they say they're selling them is because they are to small and are going bigger. I'm not sure why the packs feel heavy for some, most of the weight is supported on your hips, if they are properly adjusted. Anyways, I guess I'll find out this season with the pack. One thing the guys always said that sledded with me, if they ever had to spend a night in the bush they'd want it to be with me because of all the "stuff" I have and they don't! At least I think that's why they want to spend the night with me???????????????? Sherm

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
i have a 30L snowpulse ski pack. Its heavy, i use to fill it and put a hydrapak in it.... now just emergency stuff, the weight does wear on you.

i like the shovel and avy gear in the bag, i dont touch it ever, its only for avy stuff. Ive seen my friends highmark bags have HUGE snow chunks stuck in between the shovel and bag.

I am thinking about the vest......seems like it would be just as fast to get out of, my waist clip freezes up all the time and i have to warm it in my bare hand to get it open time to time. Seems like the padding in it and the distributed load on your body would be well worth it to have the vest.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Where's the gear for tall and/or fat people?

When I bought my avi-pack for skiing a few years ago, Mystery Ranch was the only one that made something that would fit me.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Where's the gear for tall and/or fat people?

When I bought my avi-pack for skiing a few years ago, Mystery Ranch was the only one that made something that would fit me.

Capulin,
Message us your measurements so we can help you out!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have a north face guide abs vest. They are BY FAR the most comfortable out there. They are also the most expensive. Easy in and out. I can shrug my shoulders and tighten the waist belt and it takes all the weight off your shoulders. I bought it through snow big deal. I pack avalanche gear only. The rest goes on the sled. I don't know why anyone wants to carry 30 pounds on there back. Phatty is also spot on about having your shovel and probe exposed.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
hmm

North Face makes some pretty good stuff, ,,,, However, they are not at all sledder friendly, check out the organizations they donate to, NOT GOOD FOR US...

Jus sayin..

vincebarnett

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2010
Fairbanks Ak
I have the Highmark vest and really like it. Fit and finish is top notch with snow pulse. Extremely comfortable, I can do all the maneuvers I used to do with a pack no problem. Weight is a little on the heavy side until I put it on then like everyone else says, you don't feel it cause of the dispersion. BUT it has enough storage to make me feel like I'm Carrying around a snap on tool box and a 30 pack of coors (only made that mistake once) so I keep it light and simple.
Front pockets are awesome. It's so nice to grab the small things you use frequently without taking off the pack or un packing the sled.
I also find the vest to be much easier and faster to put on/ take off. Because
1. HUGE arm holes and large flaps to easily slide each arm into without the skinny pack straps becoming twisted or somehow glued to your back while you desperately reach around and grab at a strap that isn't actually there.
2. No long chest and waist buckles to become wrapped and lost on the shoulder straps just 3 quick buckles and a zipper for the vest.
3. Can easily be slipped on and off in full riding gear. Never have a problem.

Also I can now drop a base layer because the vest is, well a vest. Warm layer with added protection.
This is only my point of view and my opinion on why I like the vest over the back pack style, everyone is differnt. One ridding buddy wants a vest like mine, another still wants a pack. To each his own I'm only stating why I like them.

Side note: on any avy pack be double sure the puncture needle is FIRMLY back in the reset position before screwing a new air canister in otherwise the night before a ride you might have a nice surprise red balloon explode in your face.
:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
North Face makes some pretty good stuff, ,,,, However, they are not at all sledder friendly, check out the organizations they donate to, NOT GOOD FOR US...

Jus sayin..
Yeah I know. I was giving my wife a bad time about her north face coat and then I bought the abs vest so I am a hypocrite. I tried them all on and it was so much nicer than snow pulse or the avi vest that I folded. It completely takes the weight off my bad shoulder.

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
I have had 2 BCA packs and this year at haydays I purchased a BCA vest. I haven't had a chance to ride with vest so I won't vote ...... ,,,, however it does feel great throwing those killer moves in the shop!:D It has pocket for beacon and radio. I can't wait to try it for real.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
With adding the BCA Mountain Pro Float Vest to the discussion, more people are starting to see that niche of product.

I've worn a vest for about 14 years.
Worn an avy pack for the past 3.
This year with be my fourth year with an avy vest and I combined the best and backpack.

170 miles this season and I'm totally happy with my MtnProFloat this season so far.

Premium Features