• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

When it comes to FIT and WEIGHT, what do you prefer?

Do you Prefer to Ride a Vest or Pack style, for Avalanche AirBag Protection?

• I Prefer to Ride the VEST!

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I Prefer to Ride the Traditional PACK!

Votes: 63 50.4%
  • I dont Ride either, but this POLL may Help me Decide.

Votes: 35 28.0%

• Total voters

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
It has recently been brought to our attention, both here locally and with some online sales that people have either seen, and are educated on, or have not seen, and know nothing about, the option to get a VEST avi-pack VS. the traditional backpack option.

In our industry the two companies that carry both options are WARY, and SNOWPULSE. Both of which have been in the industry for a while now, atleast a couple of years, and continually are pushing the limit with new ideas and industry firsts.

This is not to become a brand vs. brand war, as we carry both of these brands and also carry BCA and ABS products too.

We are more or less curious to see which option you choose and why??

What makes one better than the other?

What sold you to make your decision?

We took the liberty to compare in a quick image the two options from each brand that are most similar, so that you can see size, and layout etc. The two pack options are both 23L or smaller, and both Vests hold similar amounts.

We are excited to hear what you guys have to say!!

Bag_Comparison_zpsefa26d7b.jpg

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Where does shovel and probe go on the vests?

Seems like a good idea and I know you, Mim and Whit rock them, just never thought to ask.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Where does shovel and probe go on the vests?

Seems like a good idea and I know you, Mim and Whit rock them, just never thought to ask.

X,

On the Wary there is a seperate compartment that you enter from the top for the shovel blade, saw, handle and probe. You can also get an attachment this year from WARY that holds the blade of your shovel on the outside. For the Snowpulse everything is contained on the inside as well.

Ya we sure do love the packs, I didnt state my opinion on here because I did not want the thread too off topic since I sell them, but ya, more or less the reason I prefer the vest is lb for lb, vest vs. pack if you have a 50 lb vest and 50 lb pack, the pack feels like it is hanging off of your back and the vest just makes your body feel 50lbs heavier.

O

oscar680

Jan 29, 2010
Alberta
if you have a 50 lb vest and 50 lb pack, the pack feels like it is hanging off of your back and the vest just makes your body feel 50lbs heavier.

I went to a vest style pack last year and I totally agree, you hardly notice the weight and you never feel it pulling on your shoulders. The other reason I went to a vest is for the built in armour. I now have a bit of protection without adding another layer of gear.

Here are the down sides to the vest, I've noticed Recently that I have been getting pretty fat and i find the vest fits poorly especially when im sitting down, another downside is if you need to get into your jacket or take a piss it can be a bit of an *** pain to get off, where's a pack you don't have to mess with it.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Blown motor thank you again for another interesting topic and bringing things like this to the attention of people like myself that never really explored vest option before. Has me thinking a little since I have a bad back (rods & screws kind of bad) and have always worn a backpac. A vest might be the ticket for both protection and storage for me. I think i will look into this a little more now.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Blown motor thank you again for another interesting topic and bringing things like this to the attention of people like myself that never really explored vest option before. Has me thinking a little since I have a bad back (rods & screws kind of bad) and have always worn a backpac. A vest might be the ticket for both protection and storage for me. I think i will look into this a little more now.

Absolutely! It is funny to see how conditioned people get to what their options are based on what the local shop has on the shelf. These vests have absolutely flown off the shelf for us, but for many, like yourself we have heard that they didn't even know they existed!

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Id be willing to try a vest, how much protection do they offer ? I now wear a b wear protector, would the vest offer similar protection ? As I'm not to keen on wearing my protector and a vest.

Without selling BeeWear's product we have no real world use with one, but from our experience they are similar to TekVest correct? If so, to answer your question the plating in the front is a dual density foam/plastic material that is slid into six panels on the chest. It measures about a 1/4" thick, and because of the pack being in the rear it only covers the chest. Do we think it would work and save your ribs, it would probably definitely help out with a large hit, and would definitely disperse the energy well (Really all depends on how hard you hit, we see people break ribs with tekvest's on all the time). But without real world testing of exact materials and thicknesses, all we can speak for is it is not as thick as a tekvest...does that make it less effective? Guess we need people to bash the bars with there chest to try this out, any takers?!?

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Got A WARY Avi Vest this year and so far realy like it. It does seem heavy just holding it but once you put it on you never notice the weight riding.

Same here. I also like having all the stuff I need to get to in the front pockets where I can get to it rather than having to take my pack off to access it. All I ever carried in my pack was a shovel and probe, so the vest is ideal for carrying that.

The only thing I think the vest is missing is a burly D-ring for a tether.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Same here. I also like having all the stuff I need to get to in the front pockets where I can get to it rather than having to take my pack off to access it. All I ever carried in my pack was a shovel and probe, so the vest is ideal for carrying that.

The only thing I think the vest is missing is a burly D-ring for a tether.

Would you like to see an aluminum version? The one on them now seems to be at least up to industry standard of a hardened plastic. We always are cool with taking suggestions to the MFG for our customers!!

For those that do not know, the AviVest sports approx 14L of storage in the two rear pockets.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013

X,

On the Wary there is a seperate compartment that you enter from the top for the shovel blade, saw, handle and probe. You can also get an attachment this year from WARY that holds the blade of your shovel on the outside. For the Snowpulse everything is contained on the inside as well.

Ya we sure do love the packs, I didnt state my opinion on here because I did not want the thread too off topic since I sell them, but ya, more or less the reason I prefer the vest is lb for lb, vest vs. pack if you have a 50 lb vest and 50 lb pack, the pack feels like it is hanging off of your back and the vest just makes your body feel 50lbs heavier.

With the Snowpulse vest the shovel is on the outside.....

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Bought a Snowpulse vest and tried it for the first time Saturday. I love it, it doesnt move around on your back. Very comfortable,happy with the purchase

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
How does a vest effect over all breathability of outerwear? I know my back can get a hot spot from a backpack..I would imagine it would have a similar effect on the entire torso.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
How does a vest effect over all breathability of outerwear? I know my back can get a hot spot from a backpack..I would imagine it would have a similar effect on the entire torso.

I was thinking the same thing. After using it for a day I didnt notice any temp difference from my pack style.

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls

I ride with the snowpulse vest the back has pretty big/deep grooves in it I don't get any hotspots...
the front if you start to get a little warm you can pull the armor pieces out to help
I havnt ran into the issue of the vest being the main problem with being to hot I'm either good with it on with base layer, jacket and vest or if it's warm I ditch the jacket and ride just base layer and vest

FYI
Shovel is on the outside pocket and there's a spot for the shovel handle/probe on the outside as well I'm able to squeeze both in there, beacon in one of the front pockets and radio in the other it really couldn't be anymore convenient

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010

I would not buy that pack/vest just because of how exposed the shovel handle and probe are. Way to many of mine laying somewhere in the backcountry because of a pack I used to have like that. I know that doesn't have anything to do with fit but if you (blown motor) want to give snowpulse some feedback that would be mine.

Premium Features