• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is the best color for our riding gear?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
My riding gear from head to toe is black, gray and a little silver. I would think white would be the worst and a fluorescent orange would be the best. Deer hunters wear orange and the life jackets I grew up with were orange. Facts? Opinions?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I have looked straight at my bud with black gear and blue/black Summit against trees and not seen him.
Personally, I glow, sled and gear. I would prefer having a neon jacket if I get in an avalanche and people are looking for me, even if it means I am more visible under only a couple inches of snow.
I am on the right. Wear sunglasses, lol.

11-18 Powder.jpg

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
I notice a lot of safety equipment, signage, and clothing has gone from orange to fluorescent green. I'm sure you could see it from a good distance, or in foggy conditions pretty well against the snow, if that's what you're looking for. Must be a reason they've changed, I sure see a lot of it on the flight line, etc.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
This is what I want to be wearing if I'm ever buried in a slide:

hardwear-jkt-m-realtree-aphdsnow-13118-033_r%5B420x550%5D.png

Seriously though, anything is better than white.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I had all black gear and so did a bunch of my buddies. You can't see black in the trees well at all.

I bought a bright orange Klim Powerxross jacket for this season.

I want to be seen. Who cares if I look like I'm headed to the deerstand!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I had all black gear and so did a bunch of my buddies. You can't see black in the trees well at all.

I bought a bright orange Klim Powerxross jacket for this season.

I want to be seen. Who cares if I look like I'm headed to the deerstand!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yes, I have a hard time with black in the pine trees especially with overcast skies. I think bright orange with a contrast of a few other colors would be beneficial. I am just looking at it from a search and rescue point.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Several years ago had a buddy get stuck in a tree well with a black M7 in all black Klim gear, I wasn't even 50 yards away and could hear him but couldn't see him. Took about 5 minutes of riding around stopping and asking him where he was to finally find him. Orange or green is what I buy now, if your stranded and someone is looking for you it sure would be nice to be found:)

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Sat in a survival safety class a couple years back that was given by a park ranger. We never got into color of gear per say, but he did mention flagging trees when going into an unknown are or when lost and marking to a safe spot. Oddly enough, he recommended doing a red flag in the tree's. Many of the class thought orange, but apparently red sticks out better in flat light. Myself, I have a black jacket with a pair of almost baby blue pants. Had a few comments from my group that the pants really stuck out when playing in a meadow or while up on a hill. Helmet color can also be a big factor as well. It's the highest point, as well as something that is always out of the snow unless burried in an avalanche.

C
Dec 24, 2014
The people that care about you may disagree.

No... they don't want to talk to the wood cops either.

Besides, safety is an illusion. Nothing is safe and you can't make it safe by wearing bright clothing. Use your heads to keep each other safe. I just do not see where day glow clothing helps us anymore than it does highway workers. Just do gooder marketing IMO

B

Bcorn

Dec 29, 2013
South shore Lake Superior
Black everything, helmet, pants, jacket, sled... Thought the sled still has some red on it. I would prefer not to be extremely visible, thanks anyway.

Same with me everything black,never thought about it from a safety point of view just don't like to stick out to much besides my riding skills would never be able to back it up.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
For me I guess my perspective has changed over the years on this. Black always looks good and is easy to take care of. My only reason for bright colored helmet, coat, sled had to do with my son. When we are in a group I want him to easily know which one I am and I want to know which one he is. Friend I ride with bought his son a florecent yellow helmet last Christmas. Everything else including sled is black. He is much easier to spot. Nice to look back and know the kids are there. One of your buddies is stuck for an hour by himself when you find him you all laugh. It's a different thing entirely when it's your kid.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I personally am a fan of a bright blue.

In this day and age; fluorescents are so over used, no one even notices the signs and the workers wearing the day glow vests anymore.

If caught in an avalanche a dark color will stand out better than any day glow fluorescent will, as they are too close to white, IMO.

It would be an interesting test to see what colors can be seen in what depth of snow pack, but I think you will find unless within an inch or two of the surface, no color will show thru.

SO ALWAYS WEAR YOUR BEACON! My $0.02

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
For me I guess my perspective has changed over the years on this. Black always looks good and is easy to take care of. My only reason for bright colored helmet, coat, sled had to do with my son. When we are in a group I want him to easily know which one I am and I want to know which one he is. Friend I ride with bought his son a florecent yellow helmet last Christmas. Everything else including sled is black. He is much easier to spot. Nice to look back and know the kids are there. One of your buddies is stuck for an hour by himself when you find him you all laugh. It's a different thing entirely when it's your kid.

Agree. It totally depends on the situation. I wore bright blue pants last year and got comments that everyone knew exactly which one was me when riding in open bowls. Even though I've been riding for 10 years now, and have progressed tremendously compared to rest of the group, I know my dad still worries when I'm stuck and can't be found. I'm physically fit, and able to dig myself out most of the times, but it's the peace of mind thing knowing he can pick me out of the group easily that he enjoys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features