• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Well I've convinced myself.... Now what

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
Well I finally got to ride a buddies 2013 pro 155. I absolutely need to have one. I've been on the fence about switching ever since the pro came out. Still riding the 10 summit 800 146. It's a nice sled, don't get me wrong. But after riding a 40 pound lighter machine that does exactly what I want with less effort I need one.

My one issue is still the reliability factor. I've read all kind of mixed reviews and I just want someone to try and clarify what I'm getting myself into.

I for sure will not be getting an 11 or 12. So with that said what would be my best bet? 13, 14, 15?

B

bigbone

Nov 26, 2007
Iowa
14 would be the best. With that fact out of the way I will sell you my 14 pro 800 155 track. Let me know if interested $8400

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
If you are looking at new I would buy a holdover 15, that's going to be the best of the pro-ride machines. I love buying the last year of a model, smokin prices on hold overs and the most refined version of that sled to come off the line. I am sure the new Axys is going to be a awesome sled also but someone else can work the bugs out. There are some good used sleds out there also but if your not going to mod the h*ll out of them it's hard to beat a warranty.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Personally I wouldn't take a chance on an '11 or '12 for the motor but there is a compelling case for wanting the chain case and steel lower a-arms of the 11-12.

I think you had better be looking at the motor of an 11-12 by 1500 miles of mountain riding. The improved cylinder of the 13+ machines seems to have eliminated most failures. They all still benefit from 1500 mile top end intervals IMO.

I put 1300 miles on a '13 last season and have close to 1000 on my '14 this season. I will probably sell the '14 next Dec and buy a new '15. So I love the sled, love it, but accept that it may not be very "long term durable". You need to keep an eye on ALL of the driveline bearings on the driveshaft and jackshaft. The machining on some shafts causes them to spin in the bearings race grinding the shaft down, usually leaving a perfect bearing. It is bad enough that the jackshaft was and may still be on a 2-3 week backorder. Poor driveshaft spline tolerances seems to have caused a rash of lower quickdrive bolts breaking off. My buddies '13 with almost 2000 miles on it needs lower a-arms due to glue failure. I have not had an a-arm failure but put a decent bend in one 300 miles ago with no ill effects yet. They are pretty tough unless the glue lets go... I keep the track tight, the skid greased, the clutches/belt clean. I check the plugs, clean the carbon build up out of the caps, LOTS of little things on a regular basis because it is like a very high maintenance girlfriend, lots of work but worth it. LOL

I think if you neglect a PRO it deteriorates more quickly than the others. I think if you understand the PRO and its weak points they are not difficult to work around and it is a very enjoyable sled to own and ride. If you like it after one ride, it will probably take you to school and later you will be amazed at where it comfortably takes you.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
If you buy a 13 couple things you want to be cognoscente of.... the QD belt was prone to failure and the a-arms had glue issues.....these were corrected in 2014.

There are some steal deals right now to be had on 13, 14 and 15's, can't go wrong.

If you don't want the belt drive then limiting yourself to Assaults, standard RMK's and 2015 Snowcheck models built with chain.. Pros and Cons to both, chain is easy and cheaper to change gear ratios. Belts work well, are lighter, less rotating mass, but can't adjust ratio for less than $600 (new parts).

Welcome to the dark side!

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
Thanks for all the info guys. I found a few 14's tonight when i was browsing. Some even have warranty left so thats a bonus. Still going to keep the doo just in case lol

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
If you're buying used, first choice would be a 15 snowcheck RMK, with upgraded shocks, front cooler, and chain, etc. Some were ordered with a 163, too. Guessing they'll be some for sale this fall when the Axys has to get paid. They were a hot order last spring. Any 14 or 15 pro, or RMK, too, for that matter, would be next. 13 Pro's had the teething pains with the driveshaft, glued arms, QD, and carbon overstructure. 11/12's do not have the better boards, thicker cylinder skirts, better pistons, better seat, improved harness, some 11's had injector challenges, too. JMPE from owning a 11 Pro and 14 RMK for about 6k miles between the two.

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
I ride a 2012 pro. Absolutely love it, keep up on maintenance, you spend good money on It so keep it nice! 1500 miles and I'm going to do all the updates this summer just for the reliability and the positive feedback from doing the proper updates!

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
If you're buying used, first choice would be a 15 snowcheck RMK, with upgraded shocks, front cooler, and chain, etc. Some were ordered with a 163, too. Guessing they'll be some for sale this fall when the Axys has to get paid. They were a hot order last spring. Any 14 or 15 pro, or RMK, too, for that matter, would be next. 13 Pro's had the teething pains with the driveshaft, glued arms, QD, and carbon overstructure. 11/12's do not have the better boards, thicker cylinder skirts, better pistons, better seat, improved harness, some 11's had injector challenges, too. JMPE from owning a 11 Pro and 14 RMK for about 6k miles between the two.

i have one of those for sale. :p

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/snw/4919169805.html

Premium Features