• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

We had things going our way. not now!

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Dang EPA! Yes all the sled companies could be building a sled that will be an improvement, but not for the regs. The M-sleds were good, then the fat Cats came along.
The Pros could have been the answer, But no, can't hold together and be '' clean''. If only we had the old engine.
Yamaha won't even try on their own.
Doo is struggling with it all. Not as bad as others, but still not good enough.
And the cost! Good grief '' the cost''!!!!!!!

It happened, we went backwards and it don't look good into the future.

All I wanted was a two hundred HP light weight sled with a warranty. We almost made it, didn't we?

Owen

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I wouldn't lose faith, to be honest! Well, other than the cost part....screwed there.

All of a sudden, it's 2014 and you can buy a Corvette with damn near 500hp that gets 30mpg! Who would have ever believed that? Sled stuff moves slower, because there's not as much $$$ flying around. But I think we will ultimately get more HP AND lower emissions....just like the auto world.

rmk8000

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2013
saskatchewan canada
I don't think we have much to complain about. We are getting a lot of sled for our money. Polaris engines are the most reliable that they have been since fuji stopped making their engines or have people forgotten about the early 800s with their 1000 mile cranks and less power than a modern 600! Emmissions laws drive innovation, if it weren't for them we would have a lot less efficient/powerful engines in our sleds and cars! Back in the 70s sled manufacturers were building junk because people bought it anyways now they have to earn our business by building faster, lighter sleds for a somewhat reasonable price.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
I agree RMK8000.

The sleds being made today are the best there have ever been. A lot of guys around here have gotten Freerides last season and just rave about how maneuverable they are and how much power to weight they have. The E-Tec engines are proving to be reliable power plants. The Pro chassis is arguably the best mountain chassis out there and I understand that they have worked on the reliability issues. A few guys around here got new Cats last season and have nothing but good things to say about them. I really think the Yamacat Viper Mountain with a turbo may be ticket. Close to 200 hp with a warranty, less weight than their earlier offerings and an engine that should last for 10K miles. If you don't care about the warranty, you can get 240 out of those motors real easy without sacrificing reliability.

From what I can see, everyone is making good sleds right now. I'm not seeing as many breakdowns as I did five years ago and people are going places and pulling lines that no one was able to do before. I'm not sure I understand the issue here.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I'm still waiting to be able to buy a sled like a motocross bike. Eliminate the frills, extras, weight, warranty....and the cost of some of that stuff. Just sell me a ripper right from the factory.

Premium Features