• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wanting a Carbon Fiber Helmet - Suggestions?

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
To what standard is it rated? I've been thinking about this one too, but haven't been able to find a rating.

Here is some info copied directly from one of the websites that sells the exact helmet i purchased

2012 Suomy MR Jump Motocross Helmet - Monster Replica
Features:

Completely removable and washable cheek pads are available in different thicknesses for complete customization of the final product.

Completely removable and washable internal shell is available in different thicknesses for complete customization of the final product.
The removable internal shell has been ergonomically designed for a uniform and controlled fit of the entire head. The visible aeration slots ensure that incoming air thermo-regulates the inside of the helmet and that the flow of hot air is easily discharged from the rear.

The internal elements (cheek pads and internal shell) are made entirely of COOLMAX® ACTIVE fabric with INTERPOWER treatment:

Wicks sweat away from the body;
Keeps the user fresh, dry and comfortable;
Lightweight, soft and breathable fabric;
Performance verified and certified by ADVANSA.

Ventilation:

Polystyrene, with grooves to direct the incoming air flow.
Air intakes (front, upper and rear) that control the helmet’s internal ventilation.
Chin-guard air intake to control the helmet’s front ventilation.

Aerodynamics:

External shell besides the aesthetics aspect, have veins that carry the air flow from the front to the back of the helmet
Peaks have the lowest aerodynamic impact possible.

Safety:

For maximum safety MR JUMP must fit tightly and be correctly and securely fastened, so it cannot be taken off neither by pulling it nor by rotating it around the head.
If it is too big it may slide down over the eyes or turn in a lateral direction due to movement during riding, thus blocking visibility.

Shell available in two sizes (M, L), and handmade in Italy. The new composite material is combination of carbon and aramidic fibre.
Internal polystyrene protective liner, available in two sizes (M and L). The special shape and construction featuring differentiated density increases mechanical resistance in the event of accidental shocks.

The particular shape of the interior shell, was studied so as to reduce impact angles with the rider’s body while permiting the use of most of the modern Neck Braces.

The D-RING retention system is designed and patented by Suomy: this reliable and tested double D ring system ensures stability, safety and resistance.

Standards:

ECE 22-05 Europe
DOT America and Canada
QAS Australia and New Zeland
JIS Japan
INMETRO NBR 7471 Brasil

M
Feb 28, 2011
MT Lassen
Here is some info copied directly from one of the websites that sells the exact helmet i purchased

2012 Suomy MR Jump Motocross Helmet - Monster Replica
Features:

Completely removable and washable cheek pads are available in different thicknesses for complete customization of the final product.

Completely removable and washable internal shell is available in different thicknesses for complete customization of the final product.
The removable internal shell has been ergonomically designed for a uniform and controlled fit of the entire head. The visible aeration slots ensure that incoming air thermo-regulates the inside of the helmet and that the flow of hot air is easily discharged from the rear.

The internal elements (cheek pads and internal shell) are made entirely of COOLMAX® ACTIVE fabric with INTERPOWER treatment:

Wicks sweat away from the body;
Keeps the user fresh, dry and comfortable;
Lightweight, soft and breathable fabric;
Performance verified and certified by ADVANSA.

Ventilation:

Polystyrene, with grooves to direct the incoming air flow.
Air intakes (front, upper and rear) that control the helmet’s internal ventilation.

Aerodynamics:

External shell besides the aesthetics aspect, have veins that carry the air flow from the front to the back of the helmet
Peaks have the lowest aerodynamic impact possible.

Safety:

For maximum safety MR JUMP must fit tightly and be correctly and securely fastened, so it cannot be taken off neither by pulling it nor by rotating it around the head.
If it is too big it may slide down over the eyes or turn in a lateral direction due to movement during riding, thus blocking visibility.

Shell available in two sizes (M, L), and handmade in Italy. The new composite material is combination of carbon and aramidic fibre.
Internal polystyrene protective liner, available in two sizes (M and L). The special shape and construction featuring differentiated density increases mechanical resistance in the event of accidental shocks.

The particular shape of the interior shell, was studied so as to reduce impact angles with the rider’s body while permiting the use of most of the modern Neck Braces.

The D-RING retention system is designed and patented by Suomy: this reliable and tested double D ring system ensures stability, safety and resistance.

Standards:

ECE 22-05 Europe
DOT America and Canada
QAS Australia and New Zeland
JIS Japan
INMETRO NBR 7471 Brasil

Thanks!

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
It feels light but I think its a carryover? It dosnt feel as light as it should or the guy from eBay lied to me and its just poly. It was 70 bux and was listed as a remedy cf?

2012-10-04_21-34-58_781.jpg

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
nice set up...just need the blue aviator lens (or is that the blue...hard to tell)

Pretty sure that is not a carbon fiber helmet.

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
X

XxXModRods

Oct 7, 2012
Spokane WA

INTRODUCING THE NEW 509 FULL CARBON FIBER HELMETThe full Carbon Fiber 509 Evolution helmet is perhaps the most anticipated helmet in the history of the snowmobile industry. With a starting weight of only 1240 grams, it weighs in at less than 2.75lbs*. It’s stealth look, highlights the beautiful carbon fiber weave, protected by a durable glossy clear coat finish. The liner is an all new premium jet black, washable liner made of only the best materials.The Evolution Carbon also comes standard with a snap in cold weather breath box to keep you perfectly warm in even the harshest winter conditions.Beauty and lightweight aside, the Carbon Fiber shell construction provides one of the strongest, most durable helmets on the market.

Last edited:

92 coupe

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2009
IL
What does the Large sized 509 weigh??

Went to the snow show yesterday with no intentions of buying a helmet.....until I picked up the mf lid. Knew I just cost myself 250 bucks haha. But talked myself out of it knowing I need some new boots. Now today sitting at home kicking myself for not snatching it up, show special of $220. Does the little carrying case/bag thingy come with it normally, was a nice looking little bag? And the camera mount adapters? Is there a sizing chart somewhere online, unfortunately I didn't try one on and now I have to order one haha.:pout:

MotorFist

Lifetime Membership
Mar 11, 2012
Motorfist headquarters
www.motorfist.com
Went to the snow show yesterday with no intentions of buying a helmet.....until I picked up the mf lid. Knew I just cost myself 250 bucks haha. But talked myself out of it knowing I need some new boots. Now today sitting at home kicking myself for not snatching it up, show special of $220. Does the little carrying case/bag thingy come with it normally, was a nice looking little bag? And the camera mount adapters? Is there a sizing chart somewhere online, unfortunately I didn't try one on and now I have to order one haha.:pout:

Yep you get all of it. Heck the bag alone is worth $50 by some companies billing. AND and breath box AND a GoPro mount. $250

Or $220 at the show.

Should a got it!! You could be playing with it right now! Imagine the ecstasy.

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
My buddy bought one at the milwaukee show, very very nice helmet. I am hoping that MF makes an orange version for 2013, when it comes in orange, I will buy one!

Monty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wet Coast
Are the show specials going to be at the Puyallup show? I'll buy one there for sure, in black:)

T

Techsledder

Mar 10, 2009
I've had a Klim helmet for 3 years now and that has been the most comfortable one for me thus far. I have trouble finding comfortable helmets. I tried on that Carbon Fiber 509 Evolution helmet at the snow this year and I am hoping I can get it for next season. By far the most comfortable / best fitting helmet I had on ever. It's got my large head's vote. :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features