• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Walked out of the mountains Xmas Eve

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
I carry vasaline soaked cottonballs in my pack. They are supposed to be excellent fire starters. I haven't tried them though. I should probably give them a shot BEFORE I actually NEED them. I also carry a small amount of cloths line rope and a space blanket in my pack just in case.

Ya stuffing things in your pack that you think will work isn't the best idea.

I've seen the cotton ball method in uses and I think it is a poor choice considering all the other options.

You can get a brick of magnesium and a striker for around $4.00 online.
tampons work Awesome for getting fuel from your tank.
A 9v battery and some steel wool is also a great source and very light weight

Just a few options I've used with great success.

S

Shelfrost

Nov 28, 2007
Chetwynd, BC, Canada
Thanks for sharing your story! Aside from a few spelling and grammatical errors, it was very well written and entertaining. Glad you made it out okay, otherwise I would have gotten a call for Search & Rescue on Christmas Eve! I hope you learned from past mistakes and go out well prepared in the future. It just shows how quickly things can turn bad out there. You should consider sending your story to some of the sled magazines for print.

Keeping this post alive to help others stay alive!!!!!!

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
A guy that I drove truck for told me everytime that I got into the rig:

"Careful it could happend to anyone"

That is right on! don't matter how prepaired you are it can turn real fast!

Thanks for sharing

KJP

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Well, it's a good thing you weren't on an XP. What, with all that big timber you might have hit a pinecone or something...

Well...then there would've been a fire, so at least you'd be warm.

I kid, I kid

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
X2 on using tampons to get gas from the tank and start fires. picked that up from a search and rescue guy a couple years back... slick

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Wow Chris you must lug and extra 500 lbs with you on the mountain with
all your survival gear

Pine bows work great for insulation..

Waited out a pretty vicious storm here, stay warm, stayed dry and nothing to
un pack or pack up.:face-icon-small-win
Not quite 500lbs, but perhaps 20lbs in total.
Funny thing is, every time I go riding, I seem to find myself reaching into MY pack and taking things out for other people to use....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Fire-starting in an ugly situation is probably Life or Death, and that is probably the most redundant item I carry in my pack.

1 30 minute Road Flare.
1 Box of Water Proof Matches
1 Box of Hurricane Matches
1 Storm Proof Butane Lighter
1 Blast Match (magnesium striker)
4 packs of Wet-Fire Tinder
1 Siphon tube (to pull gas from the tank)
1 Small saw in my shovel handle

Overkill?

ABSOLUTELY.

Will I be able to get a fire started if its at all possible?
You bet.

AC800MC

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2008
Black Hills
When I read your story to the wife I add libbed at little bit and told her that a pack of wolves were on your heels the whole time. I got a Ruger LCR for Christmas. 13 ozs. :face-icon-small-win Thanks.

B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
Some really good ideas out there. I too know how hard it is to start a fire on the hills. We tried that once this year to cook a couple of hotdogs and it didn't turn out so well. They were barely warm by the time we gave up and ate them and tasted so bad... like pine trees and sooty smoke. Worst meal ever haha. Glad that was all we needed then, but fire starter is definitely worth reconsidering. I like what Christopher has for that, and how heavy are matches?

Shelfrost, glad you didn't get a call too. I was actually thinking about that as we walked. I sure didn't want to ruin Christmas for the good people at Search and Rescue either. Yeah, I didn't proof-read anything, can you tell? Didn't feel like reading it again. :face-icon-small-win

By the way, me and another buddy went back to the Hassler area where we got stuck this last weekend. We took my camper and stayed over night for a couple of days' riding. We sure knew where NOT to go, and spied the fateful creek from up high. Sure didn't look as bad from up there. But I think it's best to get back on the horse even if I was just slightly apprehensive to go back so soon. It turned out great anyway and we were glad we went. Mountain: 1, Us: 1.

Here's one for proof. Yep, I'm digging again. :face-icon-small-win Tracing the same route back, my buddy sure couldn't believe we walked out. He, and I, were sure glad that we were able to ride out this time! SO MUCH FASTER!

attachment.php

Last edited:

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
I have multiple lighters, propane type lighters, and matches vacuum sealed. Tampons are AWESOME to use (OB brand/type). Soak them, and they burn for a LONG time. Easy to get a fire started....I've used that method twice for problems. Once where my sled broke down and my hubby had stick his arm into my full gas tank for a collapsed smart valve (he had a VERY cold arm from fixing that problem that)....the other time was a time I thought we were spending the night on the mountain in a blizzard. I've used them other times to just have a fire for lunch.

We did have a new friend give us something this summer that I will be trying. You take the cardboard egg cartons...put dryer lint in one of the spots, then melted wax on top with a wax candle wick stuck through it all. These folks use this consistently for camping and fire starting (and it worked great at camp)....seems like a real lightweight extra to have along to help out. :) I won't use it to replace what I already carry, but may add a couple of them just because.

I carry 2 of the heavier Bivvy sacks (type 2, hubby carries 1), and one from Land Shark....plus the cheapo ones to use for whatever. Doesn't weigh much, and nice to have if needed.
http://landshark-online.com/Features.html
https://landshark-online.com/Ordering_Info.html

For all of the extras I carry along, I've ended up giving out things to others in our group to fix whatever because they didn't carry anything. Everything from batteries for beacons or radios, to screws/nuts/bolts, to rope to tie up a broken suspension. Knocking on wood....I haven't needed any of the stuff I carry for extras..yet (and hopefully never do need it). :)

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Good idea. Looks pretty comfy actually. I think I may look for one of those reflective emergency blankets still to keep some body heat in. Can anyone confirm if they actually work? The thermarest might be nice too, if only for chillaxin. :)

I am only about 1/2 way throught he first page and may not git much further tonight, but will comment on this:

It has been several yrs since I posted about my (our) not so little eppisode in the bush for three days, but we did make our way to a warm-up shack. Doo to server upgrades I am sure all those posts are long gone...

Anyway - to your question about the space blankets:

IMO they are next to werthless for a sled rider. They are ultimately for the hiker that is under dressed or whatnot. If you have 14 layers of clothes already on - they aint gunna doo much.

Now - I guess if you wanted to git down and dirty and peel off your clothes and use this maybe under a few layers it may have some effect aggin. However you just lost your "breathing" ability of your gear at the same time.

We tossed ours in the tree as they are hugely reflective and the chopper (that would come in a few days) could see it. However we had hiked over 5 miles back to the warm-up shack long before this...

Thanks to The Queen for the lift out, and we have been back too many times to count to try to repay her. (At least that's a good excuse for heading north eh? :face-icon-small-win )

Also - I would like to ask why someone that credits some of their success to the prayers earlier now refers to Christmas as Xmas in their posts? :tsk:

Also - unless you git in a tight place - from my experience - the gathering of firewood for an open fire in the bush provides several times more heat than the fire ever will. About the only thing the fire offers is some sence of assurance. Not sure of what? The ability to still be somewhat in control of your surroundings or what? But I am sure that it helps to calm the nerves a bit if bothered with enough...

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Finally cought up on this thread.

Some really good ideas out there. I too know how hard it is to start a fire on the hills. We tried that once this year to cook a couple of hotdogs and it didn't turn out so well. They were barely warm by the time we gave up and ate them and tasted so bad... like pine trees and sooty smoke. Worst meal ever haha. Glad that was all we needed then, but fire starter is definitely worth reconsidering. I like what Christopher has for that, and how heavy are matches?

Shelfrost, glad you didn't get a call too. I was actually thinking about that as we walked. I sure didn't want to ruin Christmas for the good people at Search and Rescue either. Yeah, I didn't proof-read anything, can you tell? Didn't feel like reading it again. :face-icon-small-win

By the way, me and another buddy went back to the Hassler area where we got stuck this last weekend. We took my camper and stayed over night for a couple of days' riding. We sure knew where NOT to go, and spied the fateful creek from up high. Sure didn't look as bad from up there. But I think it's best to get back on the horse even if I was just slightly apprehensive to go back so soon. It turned out great anyway and we were glad we went. Mountain: 1, Us: 1.

Here's one for proof. Yep, I'm digging again. :face-icon-small-win Tracing the same route back, my buddy sure couldn't believe we walked out. He, and I, were sure glad that we were able to ride out this time! SO MUCH FASTER!

attachment.php

They don't frown on you riding in replant?

We generally carry a few road flares, and we have used them in the past too. After 20 minutes of that intense heat - if she don't dry out and start to burn by then - you may as well curl up and die. :face-icon-small-win

I have some water ressistant matches as well, but I wouldn't want to rely on them. Especially after a cpl seasons.

After flying over - doo you think there may have been a chance to go downhill somewhere now?

Also - rule of thumb is only one machine over the edge at a time. Untill he climbs back out of the hole, no-one else goes in.

B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
Good point Ox, I was wondering about the breathing ability of those blankets. Might do more harm than good for sure. I had used them once as reflector behind us at a campfire and that was what inspired me - it warmed the backside nicely. But anyway...

Oh, and I thought xmas was just short for Christmas, I didn't think there was anything significant there...

Those trees are not replant. We are way up north and that's what sub-alpine looks like up here. :face-icon-small-ton At least they don't do as much damage when you hit em, hehe.

F

frock

Sep 13, 2005
British Columbia, Canada
Hi Bretton, still trying to figure where you guys went in Hasler. Which way did you guys go from the pub sign?

I found something that works very well for starting a fire. I buy those fire starting sticks that look like wood fibres pressed into long thin square sticks and soak them in diesel for a couple days inside a closed container. Then drain the diesel and carry them in my pack, cheap and works very well.

I carry vasaline soaked cottonballs in my pack. They are supposed to be excellent fire starters. I haven't tried them though. I should probably give them a shot BEFORE I actually NEED them. I also carry a small amount of cloths line rope and a space blanket in my pack just in case.

I carry waterproof matches and a tampon. Yes a tampon. Dip it in your gas tank and you got a firestarter.

B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
Yes, the old tampon trick seems to be a favorite. Anything soaked in fuel apparently.

Frock, do you know the spot where you turn left to get off the trail and start heading up through the trees? After that is the first hill, which is a bit of a sidehill before you climb up, right where the memorial sign is. Anyway, once you get to the top there we took a left, instead of going right where we should have. Heading left there is a small meadow and that's where the tree trail begins, followed by the creek.

You can actually see this creek (it looks pretty plain from above) if you go the normal route, to the right and continue on towards the Aluminum Bowl. Just before the trail narrows again you can go straight (instead of heading down, following the trail) to a small lookout. It's right there, where the cornice forms, that you can see it. I'm not sure if that made any sense at all. Probably not. But anyway there you go.

superfly333

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
MN
Reading that makes a guy get goose bumps. Sometimes we take advantage of what we do out there and dont think of the crap we can get into before its too late. Its great to see and hear that you guys are ok. Will be a story that never leaves you and you can tell for the rest of your life. Good thing you guys were good outdoors and stayed posotive or it really could have turned out bad.

Premium Features