• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Walked out of the mountains Xmas Eve

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
I have a good story for you all. It's kinda long.

Me and a buddy went out for a ride Xmas Eve Day and, to make a long story short, ended up down a creek off the top of the mountain but could not get back up. Uh oh. We followed it for some time trying to make it to the creek at the valley bottom that my buddies' GPS showed, probably 2 hours. There was no base and no hope. After many tiring stuck episodes we reach a point where there would be no turning back after we crossed it. Huge drops and logs across the creek. We both we suddenly dead serious and I certainly felt a moment of fear I tell ya, realizing what we'd come down and knowing there was practically no way we were going back up.

We didn't have any option at decided to turn back. This was about 10:30am. Immediately we got one sled stuck in the creek bed getting hung up on a huge bolder. This drained us pretty badly and we were definitely concerned and had our worst moments of what can only be described of as fear. Reality hit us pretty hard there. Some prayers were definitely said from this point on.

We both had some spent lots of time outdoors and in the hills and my buddy had taken survival training, plus we had fire starter should an overnighter happen. We know that attitude and positive thinking was KEY and tried to keep each ourselves and each other in check. But I was soaked through, having forgotten my snowpants(!!):doh: and was afraid of staying in a snow cave overnight with wet gear. Anyway, we did eventually get moving again and try as we might we both kept getting stuck as the altitude increased and the creek steepened. At one point, we made it 100m in 2 hours and were getting no where fast. Darkness was approaching. Nearing the end of our willingness to fight it anymore and running out of daylight, we decided to try getting just one sled out so we would at least have one to ride the trail out with, if and when we made it out. Within 20min we were totally stuck again and my buddy said we better start hiking. We discussed and agreed and at 4:30pm started up the steepest, most tiring climb of my life through snow that we constantly fell through, or had to move up on hands and knees. :eek:hwell:

We finally made it up to the peak and it was JUST before dark. We saw the trail below and the path through the trees. If you've ever been up on top of a mountain at dark and the wind and snow is blowing hard, stinging your face and eyes you will know how we felt. Mountains, which had always been places of fun, suddenly looked different and seemed to show themselves to me to be what they truly are. In winter they are huge, remote, rugged, snow-bound places that are in no way human-friendly. I forced myself to see them as the country I was familiar with to control my thoughts, which got me right-minded again. My buddy pulled out his iPhone and used the LED flash to guide us off the mountain which was much easier going down hill. We felt better and the trails were visible. But just the same, we were very alone. There are no groomers in this remote area and the only sleds we heard were long gone. It was up to us alone - the next day didn't promise any help either as it was Christmas Day!

The rest of the 14km hike in darkness (aside from light from the trusty iPhone and GPS screen) was brutal and tiring, but uneventful. My hip flexors were severely fatigued and (as I learned today in a painful manner) severely strained or even torn. That made hiking bad almost unbearable nearing to the end. We passed up a warm-up cabin (snowmobile clubs I will see differently) but decided to keep going. We were determined not only to get out, but to get out in time for Xmas the following morning. With frequent stops to rest aching muscles, joints, blisters and drink the last of our water and food - and as fast a pace as we could handle, we made it over the up and downs of the trail out to the now-abandoned parking lot. Only one other truck had even been there that day.

It was freezing rain, on-and-off wind and it was all we could do to hike the last 3km but at 9:45 we reached my truck! :high5: I was never as happy to see it I tell you. We celebrated with some more water and congratulated ourselves on being friggin awesome determined and looked forward to getting to cell service to notify our worried families and friends.

So lesson learned. Definitely. We knew we made a mistake shortly after we went down through that terrible tree trail into the creek bed but we found the experience very humbling. We weren't close to dying, not yet anyway (thanks largely to an unseasonally warm snap) but certainly will not be putting ourselves into any kind of position like that again. The extraction of our sleds remains, but we are content for now to have escaped alive and thankfully without serious harm - prayers answered there for sure. We also made Xmas morning too which made the push so worth it. Two different parties were headed our way by the time we made cell service and a helicopter flight from my buddies' employer was arranged for the next morning. We are fortunate to have such good people who care enough to potentially ruin their Christmases.

So I share this with you all because you might relate being fellow mountain riders, and because it might help keep someone else from being retarded like us. It's my worst survival-type story and I intend to keep it that way! Enjoy the holidays and your holiday rides guys. Keep it smart. :thumb:

C
Nov 26, 2007
kalispell, MT
thanks for the story!! My Dad and I nearly had one of those; a 650 polaris tripple dook a giant DUMP about 17 miles back, and we only had an old phazer to pull it out. Luckily some guys from Browning showed up and helped us out. The phazer had phazed out...:face-icon-small-hap

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Glad you boys are here to tell your story...sounds like a nasty ride..when you go to get the sleds..post up some pics would ya?..

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
That is a lesson my dad taught me as a very young rider, that I will never forget.

When in unfamiliar areas always climb up and never ride down. If you get yourself in a predicament, you can always ride back down, but when stuck down you can't always get back out.

Glad you made it out.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Thanks much for sharing your story! Very glad to hear a good outcome. The mountains can be a scary place when things go bad. Being prepared and a positive attitude sure helps.

Your story is a good reminder for all.

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
The story you just told has haunted me many times riding. My mind plays games with me and paints a picture similar to the one you tell. Happy to heat about a happy ending and you were able to be together with family and friends for the Holiday. Sounds to me that there was a guiding hand involved and prayers truly are answered.

P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
Snohomish-Plain, Washington
My riding group had a simmilar situation Christmas Eve we were able to get the sleds out but with 6 very sore guys. Thanks for posting this, we all need reminders that this can easily happen and reflect on lessons learned.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
glad your trucks keys were not back with your sled..lol...glad you got the best present you could have asked for...

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
Glad you made it out ok. Never been in that situation, but I often think about it when sitting 20 miles deep in the backcountry.

P.S. Thanks for using paragraphs. Few things are as annoying as clicking on a good thread like this and then seeing a solid 50+ line wall of text.

X

XXL

Jan 18, 2006
Wilsall, Montana
The end of your story is really what life is about when it comes right down to it, having people that truly care for you is all that matters.

Last edited:
H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Thanks for sharing. It sure puts it into perspective quickly about the dangers of our playground that we use all the time and dont think about the dangers until they are on top of us.

O

oneal30

Nov 6, 2009
Rapid City, SD
Good Story

I think it takes experiencing this to truly understand how stressful and scary these situations are. I came close when I went to Cooke last year. I too made the mistake of overestimating my riding abilities and ASSUMING I could ride back out a downhill descent to a creek bottom. I was fortunate my buddy found me and we were able to extract my sled out.

It's a hard lesson learned for sure

Sounds like you guys had quite the adventure!!! Another reason to go prepared, even if you think it's going to be an easy ride and also to travel in groups! Glad to hear you made it out OK. And now you have another great adventure story to tell your kids and grand kids.:smile:

ps. get and good stuck-sled pics?

B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
We will be heading out to do the recovery tomorrow morning. I will be bringing my video camera and will try to take a few snaps as well. Heli time! We are hoping that my buddy can hover over the one clearing and me and another buddy will jump out and sling them once dug out. We may have to hike out again (oh yay) but will have snoeshoes at least. Round two for the legs - ready or not.

To answer your questions:

Yes, I was in cargo pants with another underneath plus klim long underwear as a base layer. And interesting enough, when I got to the truck they were dry! I was totally surprised at that - the pants were drenched. Guess the klim gear is worth the coin.

We were short on pics, especially in the crucial areas. Sorry. I knew we would regret but it was the last thing on my mind. I'll try to post something when we get back.

I'll remember that - climb up, not down in unfamiliar areas.

Thanks for the comments guys. Wish us luck tomorrow.

Premium Features