• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Walked out of the mountains Xmas Eve

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
Haha no doubt. I looked at people strange when I heard they pack tampons, at least I did until I thought about it more and how well it would work. We should call them something else... hmm.

M

MoonFire

Jan 17, 2011
Colorado Rockies and Western Slope.
Very good lessons learned here. Glad you guys did well and made it out of a bad situation. My life has been saved by helicopters on more than one occasion, believe me.

As far as fire starter goes, it is probably one of the most important things you can carry. A fire will save your life in many ways. I carry a good wad of newspaper, a container of alcohol, fireproof matches, a lighter, several pieces of "fat wood" and 1/2 pound of C-4. All in a waterproof bag. You might laugh about the c-4 but it works great for getting a fire going and for heating water and or food. You just pinch off a piece and light it and it burns real hot until it burns itself out. It won't explode. I used it in Vietnam for many things. To cook, to make hot chocolate etc. and of course we used it for explosive duties also.

I always ride prepared to spend a night or two, just in case. Extra food, extra water, extra socks, extra gloves, stocking cap, etc. It doesn't weigh that much.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Hafta check the Army/Navy surplus for some expired C-4 next time.... Been a while since I came up with something new to my sledding rig. That could be interesting.... :face-icon-small-coo

BTW - how does that cross the 49th? I don't recall ever being asked for explosives. Hmmmm ????

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Thanks a LOT GP!

That blew an hr and half!

I would have enjoyed that! :face-icon-small-hap

Haha, that was a different way to spend Super Bowl Day for sure. Happy outcome and well worth it.

bretton, your story has fairly good timing cuz my wife and I were in a ravine last weekend that could have had the same result had anything gone wrong. We find ourselves exploring more on our own than with a group. Mostly so we don't ruin somebody's day or just to have it for ourselves in the future. LOL
This will make us think twice before dropping into places together.

Thanks for sharing your story.:face-icon-small-hap

B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
I read that link you posted, Tree Boss - sounds very similar. I could sure sympathize with the poster as I read. Total bodily exhaustion, etc. I'm impressed they went back in right away. I was in no shape to go back in and I'm a decently fit 28 years. Props to them.

Good to hear some others stories so I don't feel like the other one :face-icon-small-hap and that others might think twice, like sledhead. That's partly why I posted it for sure.

Premium Features