• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

viper xtx track bogging

V
Jan 26, 2014
hi i have a viper xtx and when going across a field and break through top crust it seems like my track bogs down and sounds like belt is slipping,i then rev up and pulls out and does it again when it breaks through again. i asked a fellow with a 2013 m800 cat if his did this and he said yes. is this normal or is something not setup right.last year i had a apex xtx and it only did this the odd time.i,ve just started sledding again after not sledding for 30 + years...these are way different sleds then i rode when i was younger! i,m not use to talking on forums so i might sound a little green here.

P

peterg

Dec 21, 2010
Watrous Sk.
maybe your secondary clutch isn't back shifting, I bought a new xtx in '09 and did what you are describing... dealer wouldn't do anything, when mechanic rode it it would never do it, was burning belts too, but maybe it's was worse than yours. Finally it wore 4 holes in the primary, I took it back and said give me both new clutches or write me a cheque, they changed the clutches and no more problems, I got 3700 miles out of the next belt! On the Nytro I was able to take the belt cover off and see the secondary and I could see that it was binding when I was driving, and sticking open, the belt slipped so much that's how it wore holes in the primary.

Last edited:
V
Jan 26, 2014
peterg sounds like yours was worse.i checked my clutches and they appear okay at the moment. i had asked the fellow with the cat and he thought it was just pulling snow clumps into tunnel and chewing it out...i don,t know but mine makes quite a squawk when it happens.dealer said it takes a sec or two for clutch to adjust but mine seems a touch longer. what i,ve done so far is lowered the skid 1" to lower holes front and back and see if that gives more room in tunnel. i won,t be able to give it a good test because our snow here has melted down and hard,i was over at grenfell and then strasbourg when this happened which is 2-21/2 hrs away, they have better snow. thanks for reply

V
Jan 26, 2014
bigfish...its more of a squealing sound,the track had about 13/4-2" sag at 15lbs pull,,the drivers and shaft bearings look okay and belt 34.4mm ..new 34.5mm. i lowered track to bottom hole and set track sag at 11/2"at 15 lbs pull and went out today but wasn't able to find any loose snow in slough bottoms to see what would happen,snow melted down and hard now.

D
Sep 30, 2013
it could be your track rubbing on the tunnel protectors, I removed mine when I installed the 2.25" power claw track, no more rubbing, vibration, noise

V
Jan 26, 2014
yes that could be it i can see that it is rubbing on them,i also noticed one time my secondary did not return all the way back,..with track off ground i spun the track two times and still didn,t return completely so spun higher and then it returned,of coarse it worked okay after that, so i,m thinking my secondary is not back shifting properly,so took it apart cleaned and smoothed ruff edges,then i tightened spring from 70% to 80% .we plan on going out to better snow this weekend so won,t know till next week if it helps.

Premium Features