• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Venting new axys

L
Nov 8, 2015
I'm venting my new sks and was wondering what kind people have used and seem to work well? I have looked at fire and ice products and they look very well built . Any info would be appreciated thanks

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Why all the red rep power?!

I'm a fan of 2 cool for no particular reason other than that's what I bought for my first sled seemed to work well thus bought the same for my second sled.

Last edited:

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
polaris has never had hot clutch problems it's one of the huge pluses for riding polaris . if you do vent it i have been very happy with 2cool's they even have a deal where they will recover you old beat up vents , top notch company.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Vents are truly a waste of money.
If the clutching is way off you will still build heat even with two blowholes.
If the clutching is stock (good) you need zero vents.

If you want them for the "look" then by all means go for it.
But be aware that all they're for is looks.

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
polaris has never had hot clutch problems it's one of the huge pluses for riding polaris . if you do vent it i have been very happy with 2cool's they even have a deal where they will recover you old beat up vents , top notch company.
You obviously weren't around for the 900 days

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Vents are truly a waste of money.
If the clutching is way off you will still build heat even with two blowholes.
If the clutching is stock (good) you need zero vents.

If you want them for the "look" then by all means go for it.
But be aware that all they're for is looks.

BINGO!! That has been my experience as well. The only time you need vents (other than the factory ones) is when you are in deep powder. And guess what . . . they are covered up with snow and not "venting" at all. Vents are almost worthless, in my opinion =)

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
There is nothing wrong with letting out heat from under the hood. If i was to put any type of vent in it would be a console vent or a vent somewhere high on the hood, but this is not going to cool your clutches! Gearing down is the best way to have efficient clutching on a mountain sled especially at higher altitude and then of course clutching it from there.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
BINGO!! That has been my experience as well. The only time you need vents (other than the factory ones) is when you are in deep powder. And guess what . . . they are covered up with snow and not "venting" at all. Vents are almost worthless, in my opinion =)

When covered with snow the heat melts the snow that is sticking to the mesh / vent; which is allowing more heat out / away from your clutches than having a solid piece of plastic.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
When covered with snow the heat melts the snow that is sticking to the mesh / vent; which is allowing more heat out / away from your clutches than having a solid piece of plastic.

That is true if you are sitting still. When moving, which i prefer to do, the snow is continually plugging up the vents. The AXYS seems to be vented pretty well, without any aftermarket vents, and air does rise out the top vents when sitting still.

The only aftermarket vent that i can see would do any good in deep snow riding, is the "blowhole" as it is forced air ventilation, and does not rely on movement to create airflow. And no, i dont have one on my sled, and dont plan to get one.. . just an observation. My clutches just stay warm and easy to touch. I guess i have the clutching right =) Carls Cycles does amazing work!!

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
That is true if you are sitting still. When moving, which i prefer to do, the snow is continually plugging up the vents. The AXYS seems to be vented pretty well, without any aftermarket vents, and air does rise out the top vents when sitting still.

The only aftermarket vent that i can see would do any good in deep snow riding, is the "blowhole" as it is forced air ventilation, and does not rely on movement to create airflow. And no, i dont have one on my sled, and dont plan to get one.. . just an observation. My clutches just stay warm and easy to touch. I guess i have the clutching right =) Carls Cycles does amazing work!!

If your clutches stay warm and easy to touch after some hard riding...I would say fa'sure all dialed in!

Did you send your clutches into Carls; or are they local for you?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I have been riding Polaris sleds since god was a little kid. Don't remember having a problem with clutch overheating. Even my 2005 900 Fusion. I leave mine stock.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
If your clutches stay warm and easy to touch after some hard riding...I would say fa'sure all dialed in!

Did you send your clutches into Carls; or are they local for you?

I have only ridden my new AXYS one time this season and it was a road ride to break it in. I have no deep snow experience on it . . .yet =)

My experience was on the 2014 sled i no longer have. The clutches rarely, if ever, got too hot to hold your hand on, even on those deep powder days. Of course i didn't feel the clutches at every stop, but did check on it a few times. The clutches were stock. Carls is local, and as i understand it, they take the clutches apart (part of the setup on a new sled) and make sure they are setup correctly for this area. I did not get the clutch surfaces machined either, and the belt temp / life were not affected, in my opinion. In the past i have usually gotten 1000 miles or more out of a belt, and have never blown one. After 1k miles i just change it out and keep the old one for a "spare". I have never put on any aftermarket vents due to the issues (powder covering them up) mentioned in a previous post.

I feel very confident that i will have the same results on the new AXYS - or even better - as the clutches come stock with the angles that fit the belt angle (so i was told), and appears to be vented even better (stock) than the Pro was. Time will tell . . .. =)

Premium Features