• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

V-10 owners

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Have an '08 F-350 and the mileage estimates above are spot on. I get about 10mpg pulling a 29' enclosed trailer. V-10's definately love RPM's. Have had 3 diesels prior to the V-10 and could still kick myself for selling the '05 Duramax. However as much as I tow now a days (3 to 4 trips a year) the V-10 does fine and was 7 grand cheaper than the 6.4 liter that doesn't get any better fuel economy. Overall pretty happy with truck and V-10.

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I got 37's on my 6.0 with 8 inch lift.When towing a sled trailer there is no fuel economy or power.I would like to drop gearing to 4.55 and try it.Chipped is another story but trannys and headgaskets is the rest of that story.

Y
Dec 21, 2007
Whitehorse, Yukon
had a '99 F-250 SD lariat with the V-10. loved it. Revved, but always a stout puller. handled the 30ft bayliner classic with no prob (9,500lbs+), but lost a tranny at about 120,000 miles. Traded it on '08 6.4 crew two springs ago, better truck, better motor, have avioded most all the issues talked about so far with the ford diesels.... However, did love the V-10 and saw 15mpg empty on it consistantly, down to 10mpg with load. Buddy has the 08 v-10, loads of power but 10mpg max all the time. Still a beauty, would buy one for sure.

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
The 05 and up 3 valve engine is supposed to be way better than the older v-10's.Anybody trade up on models or did you all trade them in on diesels or are you still driving the older v-10.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
another vote for the 8.1 gm, ya you cant get a brand new one but IMO its the best gas puller to date. like mentioned you can still find low mileage '07s for decent prices. a few months ago at our local dealer there was an '07 gmc crewcab 8.1/6spd-allison with like 23,000 miles for like $22-23k. wish i coulda bought it.

my '01 8.1 still gets 10-11 mpgs around town with 6" lift, 35" tires and all the extra california emissions b.s. i didn't notice was on it when i bought it. my brothers non cali truck gets an average of 2 mpgs better than mine. the mileage isnt the best but it is pretty consistant no matter what load you put on it, the lowest i've ever gotten was like 8.8 mpgs in the middle of winter pullin 4 sleds and all the people and gear so it stays right around 9-11 mpgs whether loaded or not. i've never had mine on any real highway trips yet but one year we took my brothers 03 on a dirtbiking trip and with 3 bikes in the bed, all our camping gear and 3 dudes in the cab he got between 16-17 mpgs so they do ok on the highway.

and i'm not a fan of automatics but you cant beat the allison.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
You want a mans truck or a kids truck.09 ford all the way.

Dude, the GM 8.1L flat out SMOKES the Ford V-10. It isn't even close.

The Ford V-10 is about the equivelent to a GM 6.0L ...

Ford's gas motors as of the introduction of the 4.6 and 5.4 mod motor suck ***, period.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Good thread, been mulling the same question myself, 8.1? V10? diesel? Would like to here more from those who have been there, done that? Currently have a 454 crew, been thinking about an upgrade.

I could live a perfectly meaningful existance the rest of my days knowing that GM would always have the 8.1L big block available in a 3/4 ton truck.

Looks like the rest of my life is gonna suck, I'll put it that way :(

All I know is, I'm taking as best of care as humanly possible of my 2005 8.1L, because it's one of the last of it's breed :(

Which is totally stupid because the 6.0L doesnt get appreciably better miledge at ALL and is absolutley nowhere near as good of tow motor :(

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
thanks for the replys guys.......i want a new truck, therefore my choice.....i don't get in pulling contests very often, so that's not important.....but i pull a 15k boat through central utah, and i need dependability, cause there's virtually no help there.....i think a transferflow tank will give me the range i need, everybody seems to say the v-10 is reliable, and i think with the 4.30 rear end i should have the towing power i need in the summer.....then in the winter, i can put on some 35" treds for snow clearance and traction....i've been a diesel fan since they first came in pickups, and have an 06 dodge mega with a 5.9 that i intend to keep for a long time, so i put most of my miles on my secondary truck....with a little luck the v-10 will go for 3-4 years and the manufacturers will get this diesel emmisions stuff figured out...one more ten day trip to lake powell, a month for deer and elk, then the final preps for my m-1000.....and then snow....:):heart::D

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
We have a 06 F350 crew cab long box dually with a flatbed 2wd we use for our farm service pickup v10 i think its a 3valve. Over the elevator scale were 10500#s with all the tools and parts but the 300gallon fuel tank almost empty. We also pull a 10k# trailer and skidsteer no problem. It does have a problem pulling Anhydrous tank sets up the hill with no low like a 4wd but our 7.3 and 6.4 do it no problem in 2hi but dont have the tools.

Only problem is a sensor so far. Mileage was 13 on the way home before all the tools. Around 8 or 9 now but better then our old chevy 6.5 that was getting 4.

Premium Features