• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ultimate Gear Drying Room Ideas?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I wish I had taken a picture but the best gear drying room I've ever seen was at Grizzly Lodge in BC. It had enough room/airflow/etc to dry gear for 2 dozen guys and then some. It was a good portion of the basement of the lodge.

Here's a pic off their website, unfortunately I don't have anything I took myself.

Snowmobile_boot_dryer_at_Grizzly_lodge.jpg

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Thanks 88GT! I've got a 10x20 foot tiled room to work with and like the idea of a big boot and glove dryer. Likely shoot for easily accommodating about 6 to 8 people's gear. Thanks for sharing the pic of the wall mounted drying system.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I wish I had taken a picture but the best gear drying room I've ever seen was at Grizzly Lodge in BC. It had enough room/airflow/etc to dry gear for 2 dozen guys and then some. It was a good portion of the basement of the lodge.

Here's a pic off their website, unfortunately I don't have anything I took myself.

Snowmobile_boot_dryer_at_Grizzly_lodge.jpg

I'd want caps on the unused ones, or a way to shut off the air to some of them, just to increase efficiency.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Make sure the room has a lot of venting/exhaust fan. You get a pretty crazy amount of water coming off gear especially if there is still snow/ice packed on backpacks zippers etc. Keeping overall room humidity down will help a ton for quick drying.

Being able to force some air into boots/gloves like is shown above is awesome and a little bit of overall air movement in the room and over the gear is very helpful. If you can keep the air moving and fairly dry without being 100+ degrees its nice. Then your stuff isn't all crunchy when you put it back on. Its just dry.

There is a nice drying room at the Glacier House in Revy that I've stayed at a few times, there is not forced air into the gear like the above pic just a lot of pegs and hangers so things aren't piled up. Temps stay around 80-90* and lots of air moving around and being sucked out. As long as the gear is hanging nice and ope and not stuffed into small spaces it always turns out dry very quickly.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I've got a shelf overhead in my shop that I installed hooks behind the leading edge to keep gear out away from the wall. Boots and gloves go on Peet boot dryers and the rest hangs up. I turn on the ceiling fan and come back in the morning. Dry. No added heat is needed for my gear. If I had a lot of gear more heat might be needed, but the air space around the gear is crucial for quick drying.

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Thanks guys! I just picked up a 30" wall mounted fan from Pincess Auto with a 1/4 hp motor so should be able to get lots of air movement. I like the idea of a wall mounted shelf with hooks for jackets and pants to dry. Still would like to do a boot and glove dryer on the wall so we can get everything dried out. Keep those idea and pics coming! Greatly appreciated.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have a good size garage that has a bathroom and sink in. I turn the water off now because it froze up one year and it's too expensive to run my 220 heaters. I've thought about expanding the bathroom and moving the door to create a dry room. I plan to use a wall heater and heat the bathroom. I want to put in a vent to the plumbing for the water to ensure it doesn't freeze. I won't have a drain, but I was going to use a large rubber mat for shoes. I haven't found the heater I would use yet, but I envision THIS. I'm just not sure if I need any ventilation since it's electric. I'd add a bar to hang bibs/jackets and shelves for the boot/glove dryer.

All this so my wife doesn't have to smell the 2-stroke anymore!

Premium Features