• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo in spring conditions

arn2805

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2013
Im on the fence with ordering an NA or turbo expert 165. Most things ive seen say turbo and dont look back. Now that spring seems to have hit early here, we have the solid ice mornings and the shmooo snow afternoons. So how does the extra weight and peppiness carry in the stiff snow conditions. It seems like it would be a PITA to sidehill.

Im coming from 2018 165 summit. I would have ordered another NA in expert the day after release, but the loss of the 4yr warranty kinda pissed me off as i usually keep my sleds for the long haul and pass them down.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I do not notice any extra weight from my 2019 NA, to my turbo summit. I also used the stock can on my 2019.
The turbo handles very well in low snow conditions.

arn2805

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2013
I've only been on a 2020.5 for about 15mins of non tech riding and felt it was a bit heavier on the skis. Maybe being a demo, it could have been setup better. I'm sure after awhile the difference wouldn't be noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Im on the fence with ordering an NA or turbo expert 165. Most things ive seen say turbo and dont look back. Now that spring seems to have hit early here, we have the solid ice mornings and the shmooo snow afternoons. So how does the extra weight and peppiness carry in the stiff snow conditions. It seems like it would be a PITA to sidehill.

Im coming from 2018 165 summit. I would have ordered another NA in expert the day after release, but the loss of the 4yr warranty kinda pissed me off as i usually keep my sleds for the long haul and pass them down.
You wont notice the weight, and if you do initially it will be at the start of the season mostly cause you have not been sledding since its the start of the season. Then you will just adapt to whatever the weight of your machine is, and if you go out in set up snow it will be like riding an NA 850 until you need the power. Once you go turbo 850 there is no going back. cheers dave

arn2805

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2013
You wont notice the weight, and if you do initially it will be at the start of the season mostly cause you have not been sledding since its the start of the season. Then you will just adapt to whatever the weight of your machine is, and if you go out in set up snow it will be like riding an NA 850 until you need the power. Once you go turbo 850 there is no going back. cheers dave
Thanks Dave. I'm realizing that at this point it is more convincing the better half rather than myself that a turbo is a good idea lol.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I've only been on a 2020.5 for about 15mins of non tech riding and felt it was a bit heavier on the skis. Maybe being a demo, it could have been setup better. I'm sure after awhile the difference wouldn't be noticeable.

If your current sled already has a aftermarket muffler on it, then you will notice the turbo being heavier.

arn2805

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2013
If your current sled already has a aftermarket muffler on it, then you will notice the turbo being heavier.
At that time I had an mbrp trail on. It was packing out and making my ears bleed so I went back to stock.

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
I just rode the past three days in spring conditions. My buddy was riding my 2019 850 165 and I was on my 2021 Turbo 165. We switched sleds half way through the day since he wanted to see the power difference at 8K elevation. Could I tell the turbo was a tiny bit heaver in the nose? Yes. But hardly noticeable, especially when on the gas.
The biggest issue was the missing snow flap. The sleds were getting warm. Get the turbo and the detachable snow flap for warm spring days.

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
I don't think weight will be your issue, overheating will be. We rode a lot of wind blown and ice this past week to get to goo snow and I was a consistent 20-30 degrees F warmer than every other sled, polaris included. I'm on a 21 165 turbo all stock, no snow flap just scratchers. Go for boost!

Premium Features