• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tube chassis running boards

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
If you put (1) more cross-bar where you cut the rear support brace... I would consider buying a set from you! The way I ride (Turbo charged) and outta control... there would be some breakage.

Good idea, add 1 more cross support to pick up that rear portion of the drop bracket.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
I don't really care about the aluminum edge. You don't see it when the sled is sitting. As far as strenght im curious what you are refering to. I guarentee you just 2 rivets on my running boards are way more structure than the stock pop can boards. Have you ever felt the xp boards in your hand before? They offer next to no structure for the drop bracket. My chromoly is offering much more. Personally im not worried about it. As I said before, I only cut the one side off because I wanted to. Nobody else has to.

That 3/16 rivet closet to the track is the weak point now, there is no material around that rivet to provide any strength for the bracket. That other rivet out toward the edge is doing nothing.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Goofy

I think it would look goofy without it cut away. I just think there isn't enough hardware (rivets) holding that bracket to the tunnel? (2) cross-bars over that bracket would be better IMO.

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
Sorry sledsrocks but im just going to have to disagree with you on this one. I do appriciate the advice tho. I actually cut off almost all the material on my rev right there and I hit a ton of rocks this season some took me over the bars and I have had zero problems. Jumps wheelies stumps and rocks and not a problem. I will try to see if I can change my jig and get another piece int there if that will make the difference but I don't think I can get the tig cup in that tight of a spot.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Sorry sledsrocks but im just going to have to disagree with you on this one. I do appriciate the advice tho. I actually cut off almost all the material on my rev right there and I hit a ton of rocks this season some took me over the bars and I have had zero problems. Jumps wheelies stumps and rocks and not a problem. I will try to see if I can change my jig and get another piece int there if that will make the difference but I don't think I can get the tig cup in that tight of a spot.

No worries from my end, just thought now that you're trying to market them to the public you might consider a few changes.

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
i would if i really thought there was a problem there but i just dont think there is. if this was my job and i had the time to spend to r and d these a little more i would but so far this month i have been working 50 hour weeks and i just dont have the time to spend. i think if you hit hard enough for that back part to fail with my boards on there, there is no way the stock set up would hold either.

no, i use it as a mounting spot for my running boards, i cut the back part off because it will collect snow, you could leave them there if you wanted. here is a picture of what it looks like underneath right there.
2012-07-15_13-55-51_700.jpg

The Boards look great but Imo you're going to have a problem with the drop bracket. IMHO, the stock brackets are garbage, I've broke 3 of them. The last thing I would want to do is make them weaker. There is very little material around the inside rivets and they crack there from flexing. Your boards will me much stiffer and stronger than stock but you will still have flexing here. When this cracks the only thing holding the bracket is the very thin back plate riveted inside the tunnel. This is very weak, I was able to easily bend and break this in half by hand on a bracket I removed.

In this pic you can see how thin the metel is around the rivet. This one cracked all the way through on one side and the other side was starting to crack.

2012-01-29%252016.24.26.jpg

The back plate that rivets inside the tunnel is very thin and weak.

2012-01-29%252016.27.50.jpg

I got tired of replacing these so I upgraded to some Timbersled brackets.

Anyways, the boards do look great. This is just my opinion based on my experience with those drop brackets.

They really are weak.

CIMG2408.JPG

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
thanks for the pictures, the past hour ive actually been working on my jig to incorporate another piece in there. so now, there will be 2 pieces that go over the drop bracket. while doing these boards, it might be a good idea to upgrade drop brackets if they are that bad. i had a lot of hard landings on the back end of my xp this late spring, thats why i figured they would hold up ok. the only other thing to think about, i see yours broke where the rivets are. im guessing that is due to hard impact coupled with weight of your body and gas ect., my boards mount up on the side of the tunnel, so there isnt near as much weight on that drop bracket as the stock boards put. as far as the last picture, thats just pure design flaw and broke.

Last edited:

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Sounds good!

I know its not gonna look as good with the spacing, but having (2) cross-bars over the rear bracket is gonna make it that much stronger. It looks like it will work nicely that way with the timbersled brackets too! If you can incorperate that second cross-bar at the rear... and you'll sell them to me uncoated for $350.00... I'll take a pair. Just send me a PM. Thanks, Ben. Good luck with your endeavour.

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
I'm with Snowryder, I have had the stock drop brackets break on my three times and I bought a set of timbersled drop brackets. I was thinking about making a set of running boards that are similar to yours and Skins. I was thinking about spacing the last two bars so that you could weld in a piece of aluminum so you could drill your own holes for whatever drop brackets you used. It might throw off the look a little bit but that's what I plan on doing.

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
I know its not gonna look as good with the spacing, but having (2) cross-bars over the rear bracket is gonna make it that much stronger. It looks like it will work nicely that way with the timbersled brackets too! If you can incorperate that second cross-bar at the rear... and you'll sell them to me uncoated for $350.00... I'll take a pair. Just send me a PM. Thanks, Ben. Good luck with your endeavour.

yep, next set will have 2 bars, pretty backed up on the boards, but ive been working on them as much as possible, have to finish up a xp set for someone, and i have 2 rev sets that i need done pronto, than ill get some more xp ones done with the new 2 bar design.

H

Holomis International

Nov 29, 2008
www.holomis.com
The boards look like they are progressing. I know a lot of guys have already given you their feedback, I just wanted to add, coming from the aircraft industry, you can never do enough testing. Even when you think you have made it super strong, someone will break it and then it will be on you. Once you start producing or manufacturing something in a jig, if there are any weak points in the design every pair you produce will have that same weakness. That is the catch with manufacturing.

Just a thought that you may want to consider, is having your inner bar connect up with your outer bar, that way you create a "box" effect which ties everything together. (see picture for what I mean)

Also the factory bracket is a weak point, we dealt with it by eliminating it and doubling up the tunnel at that point, something you may want to consider thinking about at a later date. Always strive to continually make improvements and if you don't have the time to test the product properly, then just delay releasing it, trust me you will be happy you did!

Just my .02 Keep up the good work!

DSCF5974.JPG

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Can you make sets for the Freeride? No one seems to make tubular boards for the Freeride and it needs them too.:face-icon-small-hap

liebherrcraneguy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 7, 2010
My buddy is putting your boards on tonight. They're looking great! He is also installing a Timbersled skid. I will be installing your boards with a Kmod skid as soon as you are able to send me that set of belt drive compatible boards. I will post up pics. I can't wait to get them on the snow!!

Keep up the good work!

liebherrcraneguy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 7, 2010
set is sold, and thanks, did i send you my set of directions? i cannot remember. let me know if i didnt and he wants them.

No we didn't get directions, but we've been managing. Did you get my measurement pics I sent you on DT?

Premium Features