• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TSS problems

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Anyone have the TSS fail on their ascender sled? Half way through a ride on satueday sled would start, but everytime you pushed the throttle it would try rev for a split second and try to die. There are a ton of TSS problems in the polaris forums, but cant find much in the cat section. Same symptoms ive seen when the throttle cable is too tight.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My tss would just limit rpm. I could go about 15-20mph. Unplugged it last February.

Sent it

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Cut wires.
I never had an issue with the tss from 2009-2018 so, i can't tell u which wires exactly.
U can do it in the throttle block. Follow the wire from the switch.

Sent it

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
i always delete the TSS in my sleds but ALWAYS make sure you have a hand on the tether when starting as youve disconnected a safety device that would shut you down if you had throttle bodies open without knowing

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Is there an actual fix for this? Mine failed and I unplugged it to finish the trip but from my reading of another thread about the cable also freezing it gives me an uneasy feeling.
I did buy a cable luber and lube for maintaining it. But I'd like the tss intact too. Hate to see it go ghost riding off into the abyss

A
Nov 9, 2016
Mine just did this, unplugged it for the ride. Tether is a 100% must, and I actually wrecked my current sled because I started it up to warm it up, and it had a frozen throttle and it slammed into another sled.apparently tss doesnt kick in until 5 sec after running, so ever since then I flick the throttle a whole bunch EVERY time before starting.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Is there an actual fix for this? Mine failed and I unplugged it to finish the trip but from my reading of another thread about the cable also freezing it gives me an uneasy feeling.
I did buy a cable luber and lube for maintaining it. But I'd like the tss intact too. Hate to see it go ghost riding off into the abyss
The reason most fail is from moisture. You can disassemble the switch clean out water and reapply dielectric grease, the key is trying to seal the switch to keep moisture out. I don't recommend running it bypassed as the norm. It is a safety device and should be treated as one. There was a case of a guy not wearing his tether and the sled took off and hurt some one. Long story short he was found liable due to not following OEM procedures regarding safety devices.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
TSS not necessary if you have a functioning tether and actually use it. I had the throttle stick wide open on my Khaos last week at the end of a long climb. Got to the top, let off the throttle and sled kept going!! Scared to death I just rolled off the back, pulling my tether with me. Sled came to a stop 30 yards away just before going through some trees. Without the tether, sled would have hit those trees at a good speed and destroyed a lot. After inspection, the airbox had come off one throttle body and the clamp rotated down and got jammed in the throttle holding it open. Never know when weird shiz is going to happen.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
TSS not necessary if you have a functioning tether and actually use it. I had the throttle stick wide open on my Khaos last week at the end of a long climb. Got to the top, let off the throttle and sled kept going!! Scared to death I just rolled off the back, pulling my tether with me. Sled came to a stop 30 yards away just before going through some trees. Without the tether, sled would have hit those trees at a good speed and destroyed a lot. After inspection, the airbox had come off one throttle body and the clamp rotated down and got jammed in the throttle holding it open. Never know when weird shiz is going to happen.
While I understand what your saying I still would not recommend bypassing a safety device. The problem with the normally open system is you have no warning or indication of a broken wire or plug that has come loose. Do you test your tether at the beginning of each day? I know most don't. I have seen some that don't work when you test. Like you said weird stuff is going to happen. In your situation I would have most likely hit the kill switch, I forget I am wearing my tether most of the time. First sled with one. Another issue with bypassing is you get comfortable with it and forget (complacency) buddy takes your sled for a rip no tether and then Murphy's law shows up. If you get a chance to google the court case when you read it you wont believe what happened it's like a movie script. The incident happen in McBride BC and the decision was from the BC supreme court

Premium Features