• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

trouble dialing in my 19 Hardcore 163

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Hey Guys, had some trouble getting my 19 Hardcore 162 right. I eeally feel like my 15 153 would out climb and out perform this sled.

I am acheiving decent rpm at elevation, no bogs and what feels like good power, but the sled just doesnt hook and i loose lots of momentum. Hills where my buddies climb on there 153, i had to poach to get up. I'm leaning towards suspension setup issues, but looking for some guidance to make this thing work better. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Typically ride BC 3-7k or CO/Wyo 10-12k, and having clutching setups for both.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
Have you adjusted the suspension at all since you have had it?

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
Does the sled wheelie too much or does it stay planted with too much ski pressure? Does it have any characteristics that you want changed besides that you feel it doesn't hook up?

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I really feel like there is zero transfer. It doesnt wheelie at all, but being a 162 i kind of expected that.

I am used to floats so these coils are a bit foreign again.

I have become very accustomed to standing right up on the foot wells with my old 153, but that sled would just keep going. I find the 162 with 3" just runs out of steam, digs a trench a mile deep.

I figure i have to lengthen limiter straps and just soften the coil tension right off. But is the stock valving just too stiff for what i am looking for here? I realize the inted purpose of this sled is a big air, hard impact sled too.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
As for charactoristic, im lookinf for it to climb better. I dont feel like i should get outclimbed by guys running 153s, especially sleds that my older 153 would out climb precviously.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
As for charactoristic, im lookinf for it to climb better. I dont feel like i should get outclimbed by guys running 153s, especially sleds that my older 153 would out climb precviously.
You have a suspension setup issue. I have the air shocks so mine is different but there was threads on the HC last year. My 165 will pull the skis up as much as you want and is not getting out climbed by a 153 at least not in the powder. My 2016 162 proclimb worked good but is no way going to out climb or out handle my Alpha. This chassis needs to be setup for your riding type and weight and then there is a learning curve to know what it is capable of.

R
Feb 26, 2008
The 19 hardcores were setup to have very little transfer. The 19 had a 235 pound rear spring. 20s had a 175. A 210 spring is a good compromise on a 153, 175 works well on a 162 as long as youre not over 200.

The valving is better than it was on the 20s. Your best first step would be a new spring.
Id have to look up my preload specs.

F

Fredrik

Nov 29, 2007
Im still runing 235 rear spring but moved rear scissor 20mm forward on rails,
makes it softer in beginning of stroke but hard at end,i think this rear suspension was designed for air shock.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Im still runing 235 rear spring but moved rear scissor 20mm forward on rails,
makes it softer in beginning of stroke but hard at end,i think this rear suspension was designed for air shock.
So you redrilled the rail for the scissor bolts?

Is there a difference in shock length between coil and floats?

F

Fredrik

Nov 29, 2007
Yes scissor bolts and scissor stop bolts,lenght is same but air shock is
much more progressive it will ramp up end of stroke more than coilovers.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Give my buddy Tony ( TRS ) on here he helped set-up the hardcore suspension for cat 2021- I just talked to him on this... I am looking to get rid of all 4 of my air shocks QS3 and run the hardcore coilovers.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
I really feel like there is zero transfer. It doesnt wheelie at all, but being a 162 i kind of expected that.

I am used to floats so these coils are a bit foreign again.

I have become very accustomed to standing right up on the foot wells with my old 153, but that sled would just keep going. I find the 162 with 3" just runs out of steam, digs a trench a mile deep.

I figure i have to lengthen limiter straps and just soften the coil tension right off. But is the stock valving just too stiff for what i am looking for here? I realize the inted purpose of this sled is a big air, hard impact sled too.

If you feel there is no transfer then add tension to your fts and decrease tension on your rts. Also what position is your rear skid in as far as mounting positions front/back?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I just received my 210 lb spring for the rear track shock but, I have left the stock 175 lb. rear shock spring installed until I see how I like it before I change the spring out. I like a nice light and lively front end so with air shocks I typically leave my front track shock pressures on the higher side and my rear track shock pressures a bit low. So the 175 lb may be enough but, if it's not I will swap to the 210 lb.

F

Fredrik

Nov 29, 2007
Swapped the rear qsl coil over to a float qsl and i like the proggresive feel from air shock better,
the falling rate supension needs a proggressive shock.

Premium Features