• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRAILER QUESTION: Which do you prefer and WHY? Trailswest or Logan Coach???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just had a great video conference with the folks at Logan Coach and it looks like they are going to build us a Project trailer for the 23/24 season.

Will be hoping over to Jackson for the Hill Climbs tomorrow and will meet with some of them in person and get a Hand-Shake to start the project.

THIS WILL BE FUN!

Whats it gonna be like to have a PREMIUM BUILT sled trailer?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So is the goal to build a 1/2 ton friendly trailer to go with the F-150 or did you decide to upgrade the truck?
My own goal is to build up a short trailer this time around.
I would like to try a 21ft rather than a 28.
But, for the life of me I still do not KNOW for CERTAINTY what the real weights are on these.

So you can count on the fact that i will be asking for some absolute concrete tongue and trailer weights when we meet in person.

C

chap

Dec 10, 2007
Project Trailers always go for all the bells and whistles.
But we will discuss just what they are capable of when we meet with them in person.
If by chance you ever plan to haul three sleds, A 21’ is a little short In my opinion. I owned one, went to a 23‘ and its better. All three sleds have to be loaded from the front pointing backwards in a 21’ and that puts two in the back, one in the front which puts too much weight behind the axles and can affect tongue weight . A 23’ can have all three sleds pointing forward with two in front and balances the weight a lot better. A 21’ is fine if you will never haul 3.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
If by chance you ever plan to haul three sleds, A 21’ is a little short In my opinion. I owned one, went to a 23‘ and its better. All three sleds have to be loaded from the front pointing backwards in a 21’ and that puts two in the back, one in the front which puts too much weight behind the axles and can affect tongue weight . A 23’ can have all three sleds pointing forward with two in front and balances the weight a lot better. A 21’ is fine if you will never haul 3.
I can haul 3 163s in any direction( forward backwards) in my 18' w 5' v and all gear without a problem.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Project Trailers always go for all the bells and whistles.
But we will discuss just what they are capable of when we meet with them in person.
Go with a smaller main heater than the 75,000 btu that's seems to be their standard in all their trailers. I switched out the 75,000 for a 60,000 in my buddies 32' zbroz gooseneck trailer and he says it heats a lot better now and uses less LP.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Go with a smaller main heater than the 75,000 btu that's seems to be their standard in all their trailers. I switched out the 75,000 for a 60,000 in my buddies 32' zbroz gooseneck trailer and he says it heats a lot better now and uses less LP.

75000! How are the trailer’s insulated? Thats a bigger furnace than my house.

They are beautiful, was on line looking this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
75000! How are the trailer’s insulated? Thats a bigger furnace than my house.

They are beautiful, was on line looking this morning.

From what I could tell his had the white bead board in the walls, ceiling and the floors are spray foam. The heaters are only 80% efficient so you loose 20% capacity 75,000 input is 62,250 out put @ sea level up to roughly 2000' the starts losing about 2%-4%capacity per 1000 ft depending on btu content of the gas. So I'm thinking that's why they are installing the 75,000 btu units just to make sure they will heat at higher elevation. But they are over sizing the furnaces and the furnaces are short cycling and not heating the trailer efficiently or comfortably. Most of the logans also have a 40,000 btu rv style heater for the boot, glove, helmet and clothes cabinet. So there was a total of 115,000 input btus for the trailer. Way over kill.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
These will be the sort of questions we ask them to weigh in on based on their company experience over the years.
if I recall, Logan is the ONLY trailer manufacturer that offeres several incremental sizes?
28, 25, 21?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, all of my previous experience has been in the Mirage 28ft trailers.
And EVERY SINGLE ONE of them suffered from a lack of rear heating.
By far and away the best ones were where we installed a 2nd Heater.

I have never been in a trailer in the middle of winter with Sub-Zero Temps trying to MELT out all the sleds and DRY all the gear and had TOO MUCH HEAT??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
From what I could tell his had the white bead board in the walls, ceiling and the floors are spray foam. The heaters are only 80% efficient so you loose 20% capacity 75,000 input is 62,250 out put @ sea level up to roughly 2000' the starts losing about 2%-4%capacity per 1000 ft depending on btu content of the gas. So I'm thinking that's why they are installing the 75,000 btu units just to make sure they will heat at higher elevation. But they are over sizing the furnaces and the furnaces are short cycling and not heating the trailer efficiently or comfortably. Most of the logans also have a 40,000 btu rv style heater for the boot, glove, helmet and clothes cabinet. So there was a total of 115,000 input btus for the trailer. Way over kill.
Perhaps.
But to be perfectly honest, I would rather have too much than too little.
Would be nice to have an ABUNDANCE of heat for a change, rather than being worried about the condition of the gear for days 2-3 of the long weekend ride.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I’d love to have the KC711 trailer. Maybe I should ditch the arctic fox I have and get a trailer I can use all year round.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Perhaps.
But to be perfectly honest, I would rather have too much than too little.
Would be nice to have an ABUNDANCE of heat for a change, rather than being worried about the condition of the gear for days 2-3 of the long weekend ride.
To much can be a bad thing. Like I said the heater would short cycle and the trailer would be hot then cold then hot again. With the smaller heater it would heat more evenly and be more comfortable. There is still plenty of heat with a total of 100,000 btu input with both heaters. All winter he's only been using the big main 60,000 btu heater because the rv style heater quit working (waiting for me to fix it) and the big heater had been heating the trailer great and is using less propane. You also have to remember the big heater is a garage heater to its made to move some air.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
So, all of my previous experience has been in the Mirage 28ft trailers.
And EVERY SINGLE ONE of them suffered from a lack of rear heating.
By far and away the best ones were where we installed a 2nd Heater.

I have never been in a trailer in the middle of winter with Sub-Zero Temps trying to MELT out all the sleds and DRY all the gear and had TOO MUCH HEAT??
Tell stories about the Mirage trailers you have had. That’s what I have is a 2018 28 footer Mirage. ?

Premium Features