• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer floor coating?

S
Sep 7, 2010
Just bought a stealth predator, and seen/ heard of dudes coating their floor with epoxy and other various materials.

Anyone have an opinion on that practice? Does it work to protect it from carbides?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Just bought a stealth predator, and seen/ heard of dudes coating their floor with epoxy and other various materials.

Anyone have an opinion on that practice? Does it work to protect it from carbides?

Carbids will cut most anything.

Epoxy is best for the deck. ? I like the white so it reflects light.

For the poor man deal get some cheap epoxy (non wax ) even expired will work. On the last coat get some clean sand and sprinkle it on there for traction. (Or you can mix sand in the final coat prior to application)

Then call those spray on bed liner places OR A JUNK YARD ... or even the side of the road and pick up some ribbed truck bed liners for free to $20 each.

Cut the bed liners so the carbides can ride in the ribbed groves. Put a couple boles thru the deck to secure them. Make sure these are the same temp as the deck when you put them on so they don't warp. Plus turn some perpendicular to the between the carbide tracks for the track to grip. (cut up old rubber track works better if you have some.)

Project cost ... 100 bucks.

Or call asll those people making these specific for the sledders and pay $500 .. it is all precut / and mixed for you and saying you time driving around and having to cut up a bedliner.

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Plastic Lattice works :)

saves the floor

enclosed.jpg

C
Jan 15, 2009
Colorado Springs
Bubbles,

Great idea and thanks for the photo.

Question; the old track you laid down, how did you get it to lay flat? I have some old track that I want to use in the same manner but the track "knobs" on the underside prevent it. Seems it would never secure to the floor properly unless all those "knobs" were removed somehow.

Thanks.

Chaos

B
Nov 26, 2007
Bubbles,

Great idea and thanks for the photo.

Question; the old track you laid down, how did you get it to lay flat? I have some old track that I want to use in the same manner but the track "knobs" on the underside prevent it. Seems it would never secure to the floor properly unless all those "knobs" were removed somehow.

Thanks.

Chaos

I'm not sure, someone else did the install I just used it. :) I think the track is really old and the knobs and pretty much flat.

If i was gonna use this I would make it so you can take the lattice up easily for easy cleaning.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
interesting. wonder if it would peel up when driven over? or push up with the skis w/ all the pressure?

Wouldn't think it would come up as it is interlocked. If you get the sloped edges for the entry and exit and secure them to the floor with screws then I don't see them coming up at all. I can do my trailer for $250. Not bad and it would keep me from having to re-deck it next year. I know what I'm gonna do now.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Wouldn't think it would come up as it is interlocked. If you get the sloped edges for the entry and exit and secure them to the floor with screws then I don't see them coming up at all. I can do my trailer for $250. Not bad and it would keep me from having to re-deck it next year. I know what I'm gonna do now.

From my experience bolting thru the deck is best.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I went ahead and ordered these, so I'll be able to give some feedback when I'm done. Stuff is spendy, but looks sharp!

http://www.bigfloors.com/GarageDeck-P15.aspx

I dont think it will hold up cause the expansion and contraction from temp changes will get dirt in it and warp it.

If it was a one piece roll it would work ... but you still need guide rails so the carbides stay off the deck.

J

jfox1995

Jan 12, 2008
What about that roll on do-it-yourself truck bed liner stuff.
Tough, nice to walk on when wet

I was wondering about that stuff too. I think it would work well, but it would be nice to hear from someone who has actually used it.

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
What about that roll on do-it-yourself truck bed liner stuff.
Tough, nice to walk on when wet

its great.....untill you drive a sled on it! the carbides will go right through it and then spinning the track will go through as well.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I've seen a pickup bed with the home rolled liner and the coating looked pretty thin. I could tell by the numerous areas that were chipped up. Looked to be 2-3times the thickness of a regular coat of house paint.

One concern I'd have with the interlocked tiles is moisture retention under the tiles. Seems like that would cause almost a permanent wetness for the wood floor during the sled season because water, I think, would seep between the tile joints. If the floor was marine grade plywood, that would help.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I've seen a pickup bed with the home rolled liner and the coating looked pretty thin. I could tell by the numerous areas that were chipped up. Looked to be 2-3times the thickness of a regular coat of house paint.

One concern I'd have with the interlocked tiles is moisture retention under the tiles. Seems like that would cause almost a permanent wetness for the wood floor during the sled season because water, I think, would seep between the tile joints. If the floor was marine grade plywood, that would help.

I agree completely ... in fact been there done that.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I was wondering about that stuff too. I think it would work well, but it would be nice to hear from someone who has actually used it.

Yes it will work but it is cheaper and just as good to buy two part resin (non wax)and put sand in it ... or if you really want to be EPA compliant small biodegrable pices of rubber. Or little rubber BBs on the final coat.

You can do three things with the carbide tracks:

Nothing and let the carbides cut the deck.

Skins on the ski

IMHO the best is to get a ribbed truck bed for $20-$40 from a junk yard. Cut it bolt it to the deck and ride the skies on the track. If you just screw it on it will tear up after a couple burps on the throttle. Or go buy it aready cut for you for $100's of dollars.

J

jfox1995

Jan 12, 2008
The only reason I was wondering about the bedliner stuff is because I know the mfgr rep in MN and can get a "sample" for free from him.

For the carbides, I have a bedliner in my truck currently that is going away when I get a spray in liner so I could use that. My current plan though is to buy 3 sets of ski boots. I already have 1 set to use. I don't want anything bolted to my floor because I am going to use my trailer for motocross and hauling cars as well as sleds.

Thanks for the info though.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
The only reason I was wondering about the bedliner stuff is because I know the mfgr rep in MN and can get a "sample" for free from him.

For the carbides, I have a bedliner in my truck currently that is going away when I get a spray in liner so I could use that. My current plan though is to buy 3 sets of ski boots. I already have 1 set to use. I don't want anything bolted to my floor because I am going to use my trailer for motocross and hauling cars as well as sleds.

Thanks for the info though.

Free bedliner stuff ... go for it.

You can bolt the bedliner on for winter and unbolt it for summer.

Premium Features