• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail Tools: What Do You Bring?

sledMXer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Helena, MT
I've run into a couple of sledders out in the backcountry that had their sleds thrown over on the sides. They were trying to loosen up the track for repair purposes, and they were using what they had, which is not much!

Leatherman tools don't do what we need them to in SHTF situations in the backcountry. I have room in my tunnel bag for tools, so I'm trying to put together some general use stuff that would work to help get me or somebody else home.

What should I pack? Keep in mind, I don't want so much stuff that I can overhaul the thing, but just enough that I could make it work. Think small tool roll and no more weight than it has to be.

I ride a Ski-Doo, so most of my tools should probably fit a Polaris!:face-icon-small-ton Hah! Now don't get your panties in a bunch, that's a joke, but the sleds that I've seen getting worked on have all been Poo's. Coincidence? I hope so.

Let me know what you carry, or what you think I should carry, or what you wish you would have had with you on a scene.

Thanks, and ride on!

SledMXer

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
I just built a good kit this year. It fits in the seat of my 14 cat and weighs 7 lbs. It consists of vice grips, crescent wrench, leatherman, 3/8 ratchet with 1/4 adapter. I have 8-17 mm sockets, skipping a ciuple like 9 and 16, t15-t40 sockets, and a full set of ball headed Allen's. Also has some jb qwik, heavy baling wire, mule tape, zip ties, and a few mini fuses. I also wrap duck and electrical tape around my shovel handle. It may be overkill, by it sure makes it nice having the right tool instead off rounding off a bolt or something. The kit has been used on every ride since I put it in the sled. Its also nice being able to help save someone's day.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Nothing but the kit the sled comes with and the guys in our group do the same. We all ride new sleds and we haven't had a break down or damage to any sled in years.

DPG

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
I just built a good kit this year. It fits in the seat of my 14 cat and weighs 7 lbs. It consists of vice grips, crescent wrench, leatherman, 3/8 ratchet with 1/4 adapter. I have 8-17 mm sockets, skipping a ciuple like 9 and 16, t15-t40 sockets, and a full set of ball headed Allen's. Also has some jb qwik, heavy baling wire, mule tape, zip ties, and a few mini fuses. I also wrap duck and electrical tape around my shovel handle. It may be overkill, by it sure makes it nice having the right tool instead off rounding off a bolt or something. The kit has been used on every ride since I put it in the sled. Its also nice being able to help save someone's day.

Maybe overkill till you or your buddies need something.
I carry all that plus a spring or two little piece of 3/4 tube couple hose clamps.
stop leak, road flares for fire starter or for signal. Little piece of rope, small first aid kit etc.
I have a small bag I use if it fits I will take it.

Tar

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Maybe overkill till you or your buddies need something.
I carry all that plus a spring or two little piece of 3/4 tube couple hose clamps.
stop leak, road flares for fire starter or for signal. Little piece of rope, small first aid kit etc.
I have a small bag I use if it fits I will take it.

Tar
I have hose clamp also. And I forgot that I have a flat screwdriver with a groove ground in it for a spring pusher or puller.

A person would never be able to feel 7 lbs of weight in their sled and if it saves me a friend or any sledder a day if riding, which it already has, then it is worth it to me.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Most likely to be used dragging Colton out of the backcountry?:face-icon-small-hap
Haven't had to break the mule tape out yet. He has been on the cold end of a rope twice this year though. Its been used on two poos, a skidoo, and a couple bolts on my cat that I missed while installing the supercharger

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Honestly back in the day I carried a lot! right down to an extra c clip on your midrange needle. Heck shoot one of those off in a snow bank and you will pay handsomely for a new one.

But, now I just keep what the sled comes with with a good vice grip added. The key to it is to have newer sleds. And if a guy wants to ride with me with a old POS he better have his own tools and money for a spare belt for one I get done pulling him back!

I drive to far to be broke down. I resolved to having good equipment years ago and it was a good choice. JMO

I know the new sleds are not without fail but when I think back to riding the fixer upper stuff I spent a lot of time in the trailer working on them and or sitting it out in the lodge waiting for the rest of the crew to return. That just does not happen all that much anymore.

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I still carry a lot with me. Use it on other peoples sleds the most. It all fits in a nice zip up bag that goes in my tunnel bag, its only about 8x6x2". Leather man, ratcheting screw driver with torx and screw driver bits, allen wrench set, several combination wrenches, a 3/8 ratchet and small set of sockets, extra hood retaining pins, a few spare rod ends, zips ties, a BUNCH of hose clamps and a rag for cleaning your hands when your done.

Most of the time the repairs we are doing is from damage, not break downs. Break an a-arm or tie rod and it sure is nice to take a wrench, lay it on the broken part as a splint and hose clamp the Sh!t out of it.

Climbing cord and hose clamps will also make a nice replacement mountain grab bar if you break the stock one. Eric

sledMXer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Helena, MT
Yeah, I'm not so much worried about a mechanical breakdown as much as a collision with under-snow garbage.

The 2 incidents were somebody getting a rock stuck in their drivers and had to loosen the track enough to get it out.

The other was a guy going up a hill and there was a long piece of steel that punched through the track and his track ports got hung up on the front end of the rail. The rail was bent in also. They were trying to loosen up the rear axle with the supplied factory tool kit which wasn't working very well.

Don't forget zip ties! Zip ties are about as universal as hose clamps and duct tape.

I think I'll get some specific sockets that fit my machine, and some torx bits too.

Thanks for the input, good stuff!

sledMXer

M
Dec 17, 2011
Good to keep a couple spare bolts/nuts/screws along like what you typically have on your sled. I lost a lower shock bolt last year and wedged my suspension up on the left side. Luckily a group came by with a guy who had a cresent wrench, sockets and wrench, hammer and even a spare bolt to limp me back to the cabin. He was like a swiss army knife and I was lucky he happened along!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Good to keep a couple spare bolts/nuts/screws along like what you typically have on your sled. I lost a lower shock bolt last year and wedged my suspension up on the left side. Luckily a group came by with a guy who had a cresent wrench, sockets and wrench, hammer and even a spare bolt to limp me back to the cabin. He was like a swiss army knife and I was lucky he happened along!

That's a good point to bring up. I also carry a few random bolts/nuts. One thing to keep in mind is many times you can rob a bolt from something else on your sled to get by. Remove an idler wheel bolt, a mounting bolt for scratchers, any of the bumper bolts or any braces on the sled. Lots of places to steal a bolt from to get you back to the truck. Eric

Premium Features