• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRACK PITCH DISCUSSION AND PADDLE COUNT

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
from what i've read that advantage of wider spaces between lugs allows the lugs to penetrate into the snow more deeply and get a better bite. but having more lugs in the snow also gives you more grip than fewer lugs , some contend with the taller lugs on tracks they will stop penetrating fully there fore not taking full advantage of the lug height so they want to spread them out more. also the fewer lugs pot more stress on each lug which could cause durability issues . time will tell what is best but it is a balancing act.

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
cf8f3537e8ee07ac3a1500a9818b8cf8.jpg
8d10b5ad1cea6e3a3126481d7ac7cf45.jpg

Not a snowmobile but the same concept.
I ran both of these tires snow wheeling.
Tell me which tire u think performed better and why.

GS6
Not sure if it's the same concept but I actually ran both of these tires also on my 70 bronco, my experience was the Boggers (left tire, hard tread) worked great in the deep fresh snow in the fall, and the IROK (right tire , softer) worked best in the spring when their was a layer of ice under the snow. I sold the Boggers and wouldn't trade the IROK for any other tire as I think their the best tire for my application.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The point i was trying to make.
Is the pattern is very important for several reasons.
I was hoping people would give theories or ideas then i would explain which tire worked better.
Similar physical properties achieving the same goal.

GS6

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
tires have a very small foot print , tracks have a very large foot print. tires have very wide lugs tracks have very thin lugs. tire treads are not similar to tracks lugs. chevron patterns etc. verses horizontal lugs on tracks , the bottom of a tire is rounded, tracks flat. lug spacing is vastly different . there are just not enough similarities to each other to help with this discussion i don't mean any offence it just seems to be a side track argument.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Wheeling in snow, u run 5-8psi, lower if u have bead locks.
Tire is actually very flat on the bottom.

The wide spaced long tread blocks on the Bogger is way too aggressive, i think that relates to skidoos 3.5 pitch.
The Irok has many more tread blocks (paddles) per square ft.
Like polaris tracks.
Spin the aggressive tire or track and it will dig down fast and if the the snow is compacted it will provide a lot of forward movement, if the snow is dry powder, it will fly out the back as the vehicle continues to sink.

GS6

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Every track I've had I've lost a lug or two. Starting off with less makes each one more missed! On my 08 do i lost the whole center row due to prolonged high speeds. It'll be Interesting.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Really good conversation. I believe that the 3.5 pitch track will have higher track speed as there is less centrifugal force once it is spinning. But it seems less paddles will hurt us out here in the Colorado snow.

I really am not a Doo hater, but I'm thinking that this is just a way for the new G4 to cut weight. Doo already skimped on the fuel tank by 2 gallons to cut down on RTR weight. We will see how this all works out for them. I did get a day on a 850 last spring and it lifted quickly in 2.5" of fresh snow on hard pack. I didn't get to ride it in the steep and deep yet.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
My theory on the lugs beings spaced further apart....you can run a stiffer durometer and still get the lift from the lugs bending over. Basically there is a bigger "slab" trying to bend each lug over.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Now that there is a season on this new pitch, lets talk some more on this track.

The only advantage I see is with the 3.5" is a reduction in rotating mass. Less paddles means more stress on the paddle resulting in a harder durometer lug, which will perform better in low snow conditions.
Less efficiency due to a increase in vibration of the wider pitch and a less durable track.

To my knowledge iron dog racers prefer the 2.52 pitch over the 2.86, cause the 2.52 is capable of higher top speeds and is more durable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
My theory on the lugs beings spaced further apart....you can run a stiffer durometer and still get the lift from the lugs bending over. Basically there is a bigger "slab" trying to bend each lug over.
There would have to be a point of diminishing returns I would assume, and then a point of negative returns. Eg. I can't see spacing the lugs 10" apart to be advantageous.

Premium Features