• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is it worth the extra money to get a 3.5 pitch track and drivers instead of another 2.86 track?

C
Sep 14, 2020
Alaska
My axys track is missing a few paddles and I put a bunch of traction screws in it for a hill climb so I'm gonna need to replace it for next season. I ride near summit lake in Alaska and when the snow is good it's usually bottomless dry powder that won't make a snowball. The 3inch Polaris tracks that I ride with seem to do really well in this kind of snow. I don't have any experience with aftermarket tracks but from what I've seen the composite m770 3R with 3.5 pitch looks like a pretty good track.

Is that a good track? and is it enough better than an m66 3R to justify spending $100 more on the track and another $300 on avid drivers? Are there other tracks that I should consider instead? How important is track weight? The m66 comes in 11lbs heavier than the m770 and the m770 is 7lbs more than the stock 2.6.

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
The composite tracks, IMO are noticeably heavier when picking up the rear end. I tested this with my stock 2.6 and a friends 3.0 composite I think m66. Granted mine is a 155 and his is a 163. Those 2 things really up the weight though. I dont think I would run one myself. I bought a new 2.6 from someone as a takeoff. I ride a turbo in colorado for reference.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The composite tracks are multiply and as such are heavier than the single ply factory tracks. You will save some weight on the 3.5 vs 2.86 pitch tracks.

Premium Features