• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRA 7 clutch removal

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Yes. And applying a little heat can help also.
If it doesn't pop, there are other methods but this works 99% of the time.

B
Sep 19, 2008
Maple Creek
list off the other methods please, also does it have to be aligned on the main shaft or can it sit any where. i do know that you must have the 2 sheeves alligned on the clutch.

thanks

H
Jan 11, 2004
Try this. Take out the clutch bolt, tip the sled on its left side and fill the bolt hole with water. Put teflon tape on your CLUTCH BOLT (not puller bolt) threads and turn it. Let me know how it goes.

Try this. Take out the clutch bolt, tip the sled on its left side and fill the bolt hole with water. Put teflon tape on your CLUTCH BOLT (not puller bolt) threads and turn it. Let me know how it goes.
Did this on my brother's sled last weekend. I was AMAZED at how easily the clutch came off. This was after it took a LOT of force to get the bolt out (at one point I thought I was going to have to get out the big breaker bar and use a cheater bar on that just to take the bolt out). I was holding the clutch in my left hand to stop it from turning (no tool or strap holding the clutch). I was palming the ratchet in my right hand while I was tightening the bolt. That's right, just palming it, not even holding the end of the handle. I was actually just "hand tightening" the bolt and getting ready to strap the clutch to hold it. All of a sudden it sounded like a gun went off as the clutch popped off. Absolutely amazing. I will probably never use my clutch puller again.

It's quick and painless. Two thumbs up.

O
Dec 7, 2007
Did this on my brother's sled last weekend. I was AMAZED at how easily the clutch came off. This was after it took a LOT of force to get the bolt out (at one point I thought I was going to have to get out the big breaker bar and use a cheater bar on that just to take the bolt out). I was holding the clutch in my left hand to stop it from turning (no tool or strap holding the clutch). I was palming the ratchet in my right hand while I was tightening the bolt. That's right, just palming it, not even holding the end of the handle. I was actually just "hand tightening" the bolt and getting ready to strap the clutch to hold it. All of a sudden it sounded like a gun went off as the clutch popped off. Absolutely amazing. I will probably never use my clutch puller again.

It's quick and painless. Two thumbs up.

Hydralics are a amazing thing!! Works great!

B
Sep 19, 2008
Maple Creek
man oh man, i filled the hole with ATF, and installed the clutch puller and turned it tight ( not sure how tight i want to go with it, any suggestions? ), and nothing. tapped the end of the puller with a hammer and still nothing. tried hot water and nothing, tried the torch and nothing. it is sitting in the garage with the pressure on it. what should my next move be? how western does a guy want to get with it? anyone got a suggestion?

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
man oh man, i filled the hole with ATF, and installed the clutch puller and turned it tight ( not sure how tight i want to go with it, any suggestions? ), and nothing. tapped the end of the puller with a hammer and still nothing. tried hot water and nothing, tried the torch and nothing. it is sitting in the garage with the pressure on it. what should my next move be? how western does a guy want to get with it? anyone got a suggestion?

Put teflon tape on your CLUTCH BOLT (not puller bolt):beer;

B
Sep 19, 2008
Maple Creek
i got that SOB!!! put lots of tape on it and it just popped off like butter. my only other questions is when i put the complete clutch back on, does it have to go on a certain way? it know you have to keep the clutch it self in line, but what about when you put it back on the crank. thanks again everyone.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
why even pull the whole clutch off? If you are just going to service the moveable half, you can take a rubber mallet, set it down into the primary clutch and just tap on the top of the handle with another hammer, and the moveable half will pop off into your lap real easy. I usually wrap the mallet head with an old T shirt to make sure of no scaring. Works good too, but I might try the hydrualic method if I ever need to pull the whole clutch..

R

Rev-olution

Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba
Norsepeak u cant pop the movable side off the sevens's like the older ones they're on a taper now not splined so u have to pull the whole unit and then separate

Premium Features