• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Togwotee vs. West Yellowstone

J
Nov 14, 2010
Looking for input on riding areas. I've been to Togwotee about five times riding and really enjoy the area, mostly for the off trail riding and convenience of staying at Togwotee Mountain Lodge.

This year I am considering making a change and going to West Yellowstone instead. I've never been to West Yellowstone so if anyone has ridden in both areas it would be great to hear your pros and cons of each area and any other useful comparisons/information you have. In particular, it would be good to hear differences in off-trail riding areas, snow conditions, etc.

I know in West you're staying right in town which is convenient but am also a little worried that town starts at 7,000 ft elevation. What are the elevations of the main off-trail riding areas in West?

Also, if I head to West I'll likely get a guide for a day or two to get to know the area. If you know of a good guide in the area let me know.

Thanks in advance!:yo:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
ridden both many times, West has it all.........

why would you be worried about town elevations.......

J
Nov 14, 2010
ridden both many times, West has it all.........

why would you be worried about town elevations.......

My weight and clutching setup starts acting up at lower elevations, that's the biggest reason I'm worried. Fried a belt once out at Togwotee because we got too low and my primary wasn't grabbing like it should. Heavier set of weights will fix it but like my setup the way it is :evil:

Also, lower elevations often means lower snow amounts, that's why I'm curious about elevations where the play is at.

Thanks for the input Dam Dave!

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
West is great. Might be a little further to get to the riding areas than Tog. Dont let the elevation of West scare you, they get alot of snow and just cluth for 8-10k and you will be fine. As for guides, Contact Ace Powder on here.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
My weight and clutching setup starts acting up at lower elevations, that's the biggest reason I'm worried. Fried a belt once out at Togwotee because we got too low and my primary wasn't grabbing like it should. Heavier set of weights will fix it but like my setup the way it is :evil:

Also, lower elevations often means lower snow amounts, that's why I'm curious about elevations where the play is at.

Thanks for the input Dam Dave!

if your clutching cant cover a couple thousand feet elevation change your clutching is not that great

S

snowfreakmn

Nov 27, 2007
tog or west

Jt, I'm just wondering if you used a guide at Tog? My opinion if you care is in West you have to ride a bit more trails to get to the good stuff. You'll most likely see more riders in areas in West. The town of west is pretty cool though. If you want untracked pow all day your best bet is Tog I think...

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
Jt, I'm just wondering if you used a guide at Tog? My opinion if you care is in West you have to ride a bit more trails to get to the good stuff. You'll most likely see more riders in areas in West. The town of west is pretty cool though. If you want untracked pow all day your best bet is Tog I think...

No I didnt. I like to explore and challenge myself on my own, its just who i am. pros and cons to both. my opinion, MT is bigger than WY.(less crowds) JMO.

You cant go wrong with either place.

J
Nov 14, 2010
Thanks all, I'll bring up your points to my group and see what they think.

To Dam Dave-thanks for the input on clutching but I like my setup for anything above 8k feet and don't clutch for anything below and that was my worry. I will likely put in some heavier weights if we go to West to compensate for the lower elevation riding.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
IMO, stay in Tog. West is a pain. Forest service sits around and hassles everyone. Trails are miles longer to get to decent riding.

It's a bummer, because I like the actual town of West and the people, but I try not to ride there much.

Been going there for 12 years and only ran into them one time, just dont speed in the mornings and you will be fine, once you get ten miles from town you will never see them

J
Nov 14, 2010
Still haven't decided where we're heading yet but thanks everyone for you rinput.

I found the attached map of the West Yellowstone trail system. Does anyone have input on the best trails to ride to find good off-trail riding?

trailmap.jpg

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Lions head, two top........but really you can find good riding every where if your willing to get off the trail and look:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I just like the variety around West, I get bored staying at Togwotee Mountain Lodge, same old food, same people every night. same old high prices.......West has many more choices :face-icon-small-coo

J
Nov 14, 2010
I just like the variety around West, I get bored staying at Togwotee Mountain Lodge, same old food, same people every night. same old high prices.......West has many more choices :face-icon-small-coo
I agree 100%. Now to get my riding buddies to agree as well! Thanks Dam Dave!

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
where are you coming from.....I ride 3 or 4 states every year, I enjoy them all but West has a lot to offer, even more so if your looking for more than a quick weekend trip

J
Nov 14, 2010
where are you coming from.....I ride 3 or 4 states every year, I enjoy them all but West has a lot to offer, even more so if your looking for more than a quick weekend trip
Coming from southern Minnesota. it's a few more miles to West but takes about the same amount of time as driving to Togwotee because it's more freeway driving.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
To Dam Dave-thanks for the input on clutching but I like my setup for anything above 8k feet and don't clutch for anything below and that was my worry. I will likely put in some heavier weights if we go to West to compensate for the lower elevation riding.

It will only be lower around town........just take it easy on the way out, I never worry about clutching for the ride in.......just clutch for the back country

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
this will be yr # 22 for me going to west yellowstone. i would like to try mccall, alpine or flat tops some yr,but i'am perfectly fine with west. we are still finding places to ride untouched powder and the town is the best for night life

M
Oct 2, 2011
I love Togwotee but, I agree with same foods and people and lodge. yellowstone offers alot more to do and see. Yes, trails are a little further from town, but stay outside of town in the Hebgen Lake area.

Premium Features