• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Throttle bodies pulling out of intake boots

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Ok so I'm in the middle of a mountain trip... today my throttle bodies kept pulling themselves out of the intake boots, first the PTO side, then after I put it back together and added a rubber strap to hold the boost box still, the Mag side popped out.
This isn't a new problem... recently I discovered a chipped reed which had made an oily mess of my lower intake, I replaced the reed but neglected to clean up the oil inside the intake boots... shortly after the PTO TB popped out. So I cleaned it all up and assembled it blaming it on the slippery boot... until today.

I have an FNI airbox, and have updated to the 09 front plastics... when I assembled it all for the season I did make room for the top of the boost box with a bit of heat gun re-shaping of the fender.
For today I managed to get a couple rubber straps to pull the box in towards the engine, and hold it down against the bulkhead... came apart once more on me though.
Anyone experience this? could the Compfusion mounts have the engine sitting at a slightly different angle causing a poor fit/angle between the TB's, and boost box? Thoughts?

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Is your boost box hitting against anything that would make it push to the side as the engine moves? Are your motor mounts new? It should be almost impossible for those things to come out once the clamps are tight.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Is your boost box hitting against anything that would make it push to the side as the engine moves? Are your motor mounts new? It should be almost impossible for those things to come out once the clamps are tight.

New rear mounts, and Compfusion front mounts installed this fall... maybe 500km or so. Everything looks good from what I can see. Belt is still staying cool and clean so the motor must be stable.
The boost box bottom sits nicely on the bulkhead below, but it does make contact with the LH fender where my FNI box attaches.

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
New rear mounts, and Compfusion front mounts installed this fall... maybe 500km or so. Everything looks good from what I can see. Belt is still staying cool and clean so the motor must be stable.
The boost box bottom sits nicely on the bulkhead below, but it does make contact with the LH fender where my FNI box attaches.

I have the exact same set up, minus the compfusion front mounts and mine holds tight just fine.

I'd have to say there's got to be some residual oil on the boots causing them to be slippery. It is pretty coincidental when you think about it.....Boots get warm with engine.....any oil that may have been left gets warm and slippery causing them to slip off. Even with a good wipe down, there may be a small film of oil there.

My .02 cts.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
What did you use to clean up the boots and throttle bodies before putting them back? You should just about be able to lift the engine by the throttle bodies and not have them come out if the clamp is tight, oil on the rubber still may be your issue.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Used brakleen, I suppose it's possible there may be more residue in there. If I can keep it together for tomorrow I will be able to work on it in a warm shop next weekend.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
try using some carb cleaner on a rag. Make sure they are absolutely oil free.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Ok, thanks guys, maybe I'll get some supplies and give her a good cleaning at the staging area in the morning. Here's a sample of what weve been riding: I have a ton of HD footage to go through!
IMG_2223.jpg

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Nice, wish I was there. Maybe next year.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
now that's some serious powder. The 900 goes while the Skidoo is stuck:face-icon-small-ton

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
:madgrin::madgrin: Schweeeeeeet!!

I Love seeing video with the headlight straining to shine thru the snow covering them.
Nice POW...hope the rest of the trip is the same.

I melted my hood and fender on a day like that. Snow covered all the vents so no air could blow through.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Yup, all my expensive venting was useless today haha, the extra heat is probably why I started having the TB troubles.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Yup, all my expensive venting was useless today haha, the extra heat is probably why I started having the TB troubles.

Just make sure you open the hood whenever you stop and clean off all the snow or you might melt wiring and plastic. I had to cut the connector apart on my temp sensor when I pulled the engine because if was melted together too.:face-icon-small-sho

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Mine is heat-taped almost as good as Sean's under the hood... not quite:face-icon-small-win never had melting issues.

No ride today, I'm home. I'll get my snow tractor fixed on thurs or fri when I finish my work week. A bunch of fresh snow laying around the home mountains now, I'll snag some pics to show you guys what's in my back yard this weekend!

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Mine is heat-taped almost as good as Sean's under the hood... not quite:face-icon-small-win never had melting issues.

No ride today, I'm home. I'll get my snow tractor fixed on thurs or fri when I finish my work week. A bunch of fresh snow laying around the home mountains now, I'll snag some pics to show you guys what's in my back yard this weekend!

Mine will blind you if you open the hood outside.

Premium Features