• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Them's fighting words....

W
Jan 2, 2008
I can't wait to attend the 1st ever weekly BRS (Big Rut Shootout) on crown land in the Canadian Rockies

maybe the winnar for the week can enjoy free beverages at a skiers lodge in Blue River?

To be most effective this needs to be a weekly thing, perhaps even put a skier in his operation with a SPOT in his pack so we know exactly where to have our BRS, we check the computer for a location and off we go to shred the hills

I'd even donate some funds to pay for a "skier" to infiltrate his operation with a SPOT sending off his exact whereabouts every 10 minutes :D

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
All great ideas here guys - only comment I have is that we are the victims being persecuted by this individual with false information and we need to ensure it stays that way. We are the victims and not him, he has lost nothing in regards to sledders deaths this year. He is using this to get his company name on the news. My buddy used to work for a sandblasting outfit who got into the local paper for making too much noise in a residential area. After they hit the front page, they were twice as busy as they ever were. Free publicity is free publicity. A 30-sec commercial slot would cost him $5000 on the 6 o'clock news, making controversial statements gets him a 4 minute segment and it costs him nothing. You can't buy better publicity - literally you can't.

Let's get on the news and give out the real facts and ensure that the public sees we are being bullied by some local heli-ski operator who is only out to ensure that sledders stay off public land so that he can use it for his personal profit.

While I completely agree with the idea - taking 2000 riders up and shredding his terrain will only further his cause and sway popular vote against us. I can already see him on the news crying about how the big bad sledders came and put a poor local man out of business. Then they will interview some foreigner who will say "Yeah, its too bad, next year we will probably spend our tourist skiing dollars Sweden or Colorado, the mean, evil sledders wrecked all the fun for us here in BC. I guess someone else wants our money more than BC does." They we will be bearing the brunt of hatred from all directions. Trust me - I would love to go rip up some terrain in Blue River but honestly, I can see this seriously backfiring on us.

We need to have the BCSF or ASA get on the news and tell the facts straight and have a proper rebuttal to his statements. Throwing in some facts about his operations is always nice too....:D He opened the door for us to walk in and inform the general public about his operations and potential skier related fatalities. It needs to be factual, not just mud slinging, we will not gain public favorism by doing the same thing he does and mis-representing the facts.

Just my thoughts.

NSC

Great points, but how is the news publicity made a reality and who is the right person or group to step up and do this? The BCSF?

Nov 28, 2007
Vernon
I agree with the above
We cant give this guy any more ammo for his weapon, we need to deal with it in a calm educated manner or we will be the idiot's he say's we are
Let's all pitch in for a private investigator to go through his garbage can's and the last 20 years of his life and see if there's any bad news we can publicize
It's funny how a long time ago these ski organizations had the same interest's as snowmobilers and we took them in
Now they are using everything they can against us
Personally I think we need our provincial and federal govt's to put Sled's and Heli ski operations in the same interest group, we get what they get and they get what we get, nothing would pizz this guy off more than to have us riding his coat tail's all over the place, all with a big smile
And, we should all invite him sledding so after he refuses we can say he does not have a full understanding of the snowmobile industry

M
Dec 15, 2007
Moyie B.C.
As much as I'd love to trash his ski runs....that's the worst thing we could do right now! Civil disobedience is a great tool when used at the right time. This isn't it. As others have said, that would just draw more attention to the issue which is exactly what Mike wants. Lots of other good ideas have been brought forward that we can all get involved in personally, and I'm sure Les (BCSF) will be all over this from the political side as soon as the election is over. Lets not over react. We can't afford to lose the battle of public opinion.

Damn it hurt to have to say that!:mad:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Agree with nosecondchances
Me and some friends got out our dirt bikes and headed up a big canyon that was only passable by horses and skilled dirt bike riders. On the way up we met some people on horseback. I was on a 04 KX500 as soon as I saw the horseback riders I killed my bike to keep disturbance down, When I killed it I was not in a position to not have power and wound up going down with the bike but it was intentional and no harm was done. All in courtesy. The horses where on edge but didn't react until the rider yelled at us and spooked the horses. My Girlfriend is a equine vet and all about horses and they try and race me up and down the pasture on my 99 RM250. So I know horses and respect them and the riders. The day after the public land was closed to motorized vehicles, and the horse back riders had a article in the paper saying one of the riders was so out of control that he wiped out(ME) and made us look like azzes. I went to my uncle who was the county commissioner and got the same story and I corrected him and let him know the real story but it was to late. Now We are banned from one of the funnest rides I've ever made.

One thing to do would be to bring skiers and their sleds to the same spot so they can enjoy both sides of the snow in the same way. Get it on video and start a sled/ski guide which would most likely bring a lot more money to the community.

We also need to make sure we do the proper avy assessments, and make sure no one on a sled gets caught in one for the first while.

In Idaho there are radio advertisements saying the average snowmobile rider spends $300 dollars in a community a weekend, and is a multi million dollar industry.

Great Work Idaho

The search in rescue where I grew up sully depends on local sledders in the winter when it comes to rescues. I know and can sled more area in that area faster than the entire S&R Crew. Its the Locals that make it a rescue effort, and without sleds you would be screwed.

I can't believe the the snowmobile manufacturers aren't all over this guy.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
This would be a great ride

IF

It was well organized.

Had good guides, with Backcountry Avy experience in place.

An agreement that this should come off as a constructive protest and voicing of many.

Had good news coverage.

Had safety measures in place.

And the environmental impact of the group was kept to a minimum.

All of the guys I ride with are excellent examples of good users of the backcountry.

A poorly organized, boozed up group of tree bashing, littering morons ripping past the cameras and mics with open pipes would not do the sled world ANY good for thier image.

Originally Posted by Veedy
Hey ! anyone from Blue river want to guide me and 5000+ of my good sledding buddies into one of Mike's best tenure areas ? this could be fun... maybe we will even make the evening news !

Publicity is fine, but we can hit the eurotrash fag; and his compatriots as well, in their wallets at the same time.

One weekend of organized ANARCHY, over 1000 sleds spread out over 40 heliski areas.................we could screw alot of runs for weeks.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
This would be a great ride

IF

It was well organized.

Had good guides, with Backcountry Avy experience in place.

An agreement that this should come off as a constructive protest and voicing of many.

Had good news coverage.

Had safety measures in place.

And the environmental impact of the group was kept to a minimum.

All of the guys I ride with are excellent examples of good users of the backcountry.

A poorly organized, boozed up group of tree bashing, littering morons ripping past the cameras and mics with open pipes would not do the sled world ANY good for thier image.

I dont think anyone is planning a "stick it to the man" fest, we're just having a gas and blowing off a little steam online. No good would ever come of 3000 people ****ing up the Blue River backcountry. It would be a bigger black eye to the snowmobile community than the BIS, which also needs to be re-created as something more positive by reputable folks like the ones that stepped up this year. ;)

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Great points, but how is the news publicity made a reality and who is the right person or group to step up and do this? The BCSF?

AA - not sure and definitely willing to admit I don't have all the answers. Just tossing my $0.02 out there. That's the beauty of the internet, we can band together fairly easily. If someone has a good idea, I'm all ears and will support it. If work wasn't so darned busy right now I'd be willing to offer up some time to draft a letter to the editor/media mogul of whoever put his face on the TV/newspaper. I know we need to make time for this, however as it sits, its almost 7 pm and I'm still writing a report from my office computer (took a little break to visit my buds on SW! :D). Anyway - no excuses/back on topic. Also, I think that it needs to be a figurehead from the sled world, a BCSF rep would great, even the local VARDA rep or Blue River club president would be great. Unfortunately, I'm a nobody in the sled world. :) Anybody know anyone in a power position in the sled community that would be willing to talk to the media?

Either way, I don't think that we should lay down and allow Mr. Weigle to portray us as the bad guys in the media and walk on us like doormats. We need to fight back for sure. I will (and we all need to) make time to support our cause, no matter what is required.

Stop picking on the sledders Mike! Use real facts and not propoganda!

NSC

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
I applaud the numerous groups fighting land issue battles. One of my concerns is the splintering of our efforts. I know I personally donate to about 5 groups and there are at least 5 others that want my donations and/or efforts. I think it would be nice, and wise, to have one big army, somehow getting all the groups to fight together for a common cause and goal!

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
well if you guys are looking for somebody in the sled industry, why not that nice fella that helps get Yamafest going each year?

I went and signed up for Mikes brochures, hope he does mail them down to MN.\

This is a bad bad deal, but a perfect chance for the sledding world to stand up and show what kind of fools people can be.

Let me know what can be done from the flat lands of the US.

M
Dec 10, 2007
BC
As a born and raised BC resident, who enjoys every single aspect of the backcountry, Sledding, skiing, dirtbiking, hiking, climbing, this makes my blood boil. On his website under contact us is the "comments" link, I suggest we just keep on his a**, and try to be as civil as we can about this whole thing. Any sort of ammo he can use against us he will, and although I would love to shred and trench the sh** out of his tenure, and know how, that would be the worst we could do..... Its pretty much up to BCSF to fight this one, just make sure your a member of your local club, and if there starts to be meetings about the issue, SHOW UP, the numbers will say it all.
Mike Wiegele does NOTHING for the local economy, and sledders are a multi-million dollar a year industry. We just need to stand up and fight, for OUR OWN land...

S
Feb 25, 2009
Prince George, B.C.
I'm also a born and raised proud British Columbian. What really gets me fuming mad is these foreigners just like Wiegele that come into our province and expect that all the land be turned over to them so that they can get even richer. I am so sick and tired every time I turn around there is either land closures or some pompous azz trying to get everything shut down. Since when did crown land belong to anybody???? Sledders have every right to be in the backcountry as much as those heli-ski operations do. I do agree that someone from the BCSF needs to step up and address the media with a rebuttal. We as sledders really need to unite and be strong. JOIN YOUR LOCAL CLUB!!!! NUMBERS MEAN EVERYTHING!!!!

V

Veedy

Jan 27, 2004
Revelstoke, BC
www.farwestfilms.com
All great ideas here guys - only comment I have is that we are the victims being persecuted by this individual with false information and we need to ensure it stays that way. We are the victims and not him, he has lost nothing in regards to sledders deaths this year. He is using this to get his company name on the news. My buddy used to work for a sandblasting outfit who got into the local paper for making too much noise in a residential area. After they hit the front page, they were twice as busy as they ever were. Free publicity is free publicity. A 30-sec commercial slot would cost him $5000 on the 6 o'clock news, making controversial statements gets him a 4 minute segment and it costs him nothing. You can't buy better publicity - literally you can't.

Let's get on the news and give out the real facts and ensure that the public sees we are being bullied by some local heli-ski operator who is only out to ensure that sledders stay off public land so that he can use it for his personal profit.

While I completely agree with the idea - taking 2000 riders up and shredding his terrain will only further his cause and sway popular vote against us. I can already see him on the news crying about how the big bad sledders came and put a poor local man out of business. Then they will interview some foreigner who will say "Yeah, its too bad, next year we will probably spend our tourist skiing dollars Sweden or Colorado, the mean, evil sledders wrecked all the fun for us here in BC. I guess someone else wants our money more than BC does." They we will be bearing the brunt of hatred from all directions. Trust me - I would love to go rip up some terrain in Blue River but honestly, I can see this seriously backfiring on us.

We need to have the BCSF or ASA get on the news and tell the facts straight and have a proper rebuttal to his statements. Throwing in some facts about his operations is always nice too....:D He opened the door for us to walk in and inform the general public about his operations and potential skier related fatalities. It needs to be factual, not just mud slinging, we will not gain public favorism by doing the same thing he does and mis-representing the facts.

Just my thoughts.

NSC

100% agree with you bro. Retaliation will only get him what he is asking for. But it's fun to think about how it would piss him off as much as I was pissed off listening to him spew absolute garbage over the airwaves to hundreds and thousands of people. I believe strongly in Kharma. He will feel the sting one day.

D
Nov 20, 2005
the thing about karma is that everything is already in place.....meaning u cant be a azzhole and feel good the world is not made that way ....real simple u do good u feel good ... u want more do more.. etc

Premium Features