• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tell me about Encampment, WY

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
A buddy and I are discussing trip plans. He mentioned Encampment. I've never really heard that area discussed much.

Who has been there and what's it like? I read there are two parking areas to ride from. How is the terrain and snow on a typical year there.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

J

jbrennan51488

Jan 27, 2012
Check out the riding areas section for Wyoming, a bit of info in the snowies thread and probably more people there to see it that can give you some advice.

west dreams

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2009
Becker, Mn.
We have gone there the last 2 years and always found really good snow. The place we stay at is about 5-7 miles out of Encampment and works out really nice, cause if the snow is not good there you can just go to Ryan Park.The lower parking area will take you to "Hogs Breath" (I believe that's right) I want to say its about a 15-20 mile ride on the closed road, but worth it when you get there. I feel it has pretty much terrain for all levels of riding. very fun if you are adventurous. There is some big climbs and really fun play areas to be found there. The upper parking is the end of the road and hooks you right up with the trail head. I think this is a great area also, a lot of sidehilling. Our group is heading back there the end of February. Hope this helps.

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
I would say it would be a great home base with easy access to several riding areas, madres to the west, snowies to the east, and buff pass to the south.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
They don't get any snow. Ride the snowys instead.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
10 years ago, the Mangy Moose Saloon had a regular patron that was 1/2 Black Lab & 1/2 Basset Hound... a peculiar looking creature that spent his days eating cigarette butts off the bar floor. :wacko:

.. oh yeah.. the riding was decent too. Harder than the Snowies to find your way into the decent powder stashes... but we had someone along that knew the area.

Premium Features