• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tampico 19/20

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Friend left his sled up there a week ago went back today Sunday to retrieve it..Sled is missing 2003 600 m artic cat If you know anything please contact Thanks View attachment 340458
Seen it Saturday in the little bowl. First time through it was facing east, couple hrs later it was facing west near the same little bushes.

Sent it

C
Nov 26, 2007
West Richland
We the snowmobilers need to politely ask for these gates to be opened. The Ahtanum area is now closed to all user groups. This is not appropriate and im sure it is not legal.

Sent it

Wow, that sucks, but can't really say I am surprised by this. If they do open the gates, how many jeepers/4x4s/SxS will comply to over the snow vehicles only? Odd, odd year

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
We the snowmobilers need to politely ask for these gates to be opened. The Ahtanum area is now closed to all user groups. This is not appropriate and im sure it is not legal.

Sent it
I called the DNR office today & was told to call Jeff Jones, which I did. He didn't answer the phone, so I left him a message regarding the status of the gates. We'll see what happens.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
Jeff called me back yesterday & was pretty adamant that the gates would remain closed. I politely argued with him for about 20 minutes. His reason for keeping them closed was because they were still grooming the trails & if he opened the gates, the sxs's & jeeps would ruin the trails. He couldn't seem to grasp the idea that it was pointless to protect the groomed trails, or to even groom them at all, if the snowmobilers couldn't get to them. In the end, he said that he would go up there today to check it out & make a decision. Everyone should be calling the DNR office & keep the pressure on.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
It's funny, for years and years we never had any locked gates and we were allowed to chase the snow line as we wanted... never had any issues that I can remember... Even 6 years ago when we had the incredibly bad winter, we only rode out of the snow park 2 weekends all season, the rest of the time we drove up the road to the snow line and never had any major problems. DNR even has some very nice signs that say "Open to Registered Snowmobile Use only" that they would move to the snow line, which 3 years ago was at the White's Ridge parking lot 3.5 miles up... it worked GREAT! As it is now, Tampico is pretty much closed to all users with the gates being locked.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
It's funny, for years and years we never had any locked gates and we were allowed to chase the snow line as we wanted... never had any issues that I can remember... Even 6 years ago when we had the incredibly bad winter, we only rode out of the snow park 2 weekends all season, the rest of the time we drove up the road to the snow line and never had any major problems. DNR even has some very nice signs that say "Open to Registered Snowmobile Use only" that they would move to the snow line, which 3 years ago was at the White's Ridge parking lot 3.5 miles up... it worked GREAT! As it is now, Tampico is pretty much closed to all users with the gates being locked.
We hauled those signs up to whites ridge for the DNR one year. Then the groomer would come up & build a new berm at whites ridge. You're right, it worked GREAT!

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
A trace of snow in the lot yesterday, barely enough to see. 2" at whites ridge. 10" on top. Be careful, some really good powder on top, but also hard concrete underneath that will launch you. Jeff opened the gate for us, but asked that we not drive past whites ridge. It was no problem driving to whites ridge, but we were chained up & had the sleds on a flatbed. I don't think I would drag a trailer up it yet, definitely not without chains, as I'm sure it's still a sheet of ice under the new snow. I don't know if Jeff is going to leave the gate open, you might want to check first before driving up.

X
Jan 9, 2018
Thanks for update BBP, I was thinking of taking my kids sledding this weekend, however I have a 4 place trailer. I might want to wait week to get the lower ice to melt. Tough maneuvering a 4 place at Whites, I'm sure it will be full. Let's hope this March will be last year's February.
X-Man

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Drove up to whites ridge.
It's mostly ice but i didn't have any traction issues. Sled is in the bed of my truck, no trailer.
Smoothest groomed trail i have ever seen there.

Sent it

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Maybe 6in at the parking lot
Edit:
12in in the parking lot 18" up top.
Its the driest fluffiest snow u could imagine.
After it settles tonight, it will be amazing tomorrow and a blue sky...

Sent it

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Groomer went up at 2pm today.
Hopefully the snow will settle and firm up on the trail. Even when it was 12" deep before the groomer went up, skis are bouncing off the gravel and tracks are spinning on the ice below .
2f019f02134a268085a57a717ea90056.jpg

Sent it

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
All the new snow is gone.
Driving up to whites ridge again.
Not much gravel showing after whites ridge.
Snow is still good.. very warm up there today. Felt like a June ride but better snow.

Sent it

Premium Features