• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

??Tach??Tech Question

I

IQmodster

Jan 4, 2009
In the cold
What tach(s) will work correctly with on an IQR. I have a big block 800 installed. Can I run one off an XC or what? I thought they differed in pulses?

Last edited:
I

IQmodster

Jan 4, 2009
In the cold
Why it matters

I agree with you, but some people are telling me some tachs read different pulses. Anyone else throw in their thoughs?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I just got done putting a 800ves in an iqr. The stock iqr tach works fine on it. If not, make sure the voltage reg works. In my case, the kid had run the sled with no headlights or handwarmers and had burnt up the vr so the tach would not work above about 3000 rpm. Changed out the vr, and now it works fine as do the lights that are now wired in it. And yes, it is a 6 pulse tach.

I

IQmodster

Jan 4, 2009
In the cold
Thanks

Thanks. I am running hand warmers ect., just no head light. This shouldn't affect the VR, should it? I have another VR I will try. Thanks again.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Thanks. I am running hand warmers ect., just no head light. This shouldn't affect the VR, should it? I have another VR I will try. Thanks again.

Running with no headlights will generally burn out the vr as there is no other draw on the system and they can not handle that. What guys will do is add another set of handwarmers wrapped around the steeering post that are always on to put a drain on the system if they choose to not run lights. This will keep the vr alive so the tach and guages will will work, and a helmet light for night riding. Without anything, you will burn out another vr.

Premium Features