• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tab on hood strap mounting broke off!

jrnbrg

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2008
Norway
This is the case... Pulled the hold down strap and then the plastic tab on the hood broke off.. What should I do? Besides buying a new hood. Has anyone got a good fix for this that looks ok?
Fixed it temporary by drilling a 2mm hole in both pieces, and pushed a piece of steel rivet in together with glue.
Seems to hold on for now, but how long will it last...

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Mine did the same thing, i havn't done anything yet there is still enough of a nub for the hood strap to hang onto. I have heard of guys drilling a pilot hole in the hood there and putting a small screw in. When the hood is latched down you wouldn't see it anyways

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I used "plastic cement" to glue it back on. It's worked for three rides so far with no problems. I also put a set of extra tie downs right next to the stock ones in case it did it again.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Just pre-drill a hole, put in a screw that has a small round head on it. The head of the screw is your new nub/hook. Quick, cheap and easy!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
hood nubs ??

broke both the hood latch nubs off my M8 hood.........

With a small dremel tool I ground the rest of the raised plastic numb flat, drilled a 1/4" hole, used a 3/8" aluminum sleeve spacer slid over the shaft of a large 1/4" head torx screw, fender washer inside the hood with a nylock nut . Actually tigher and safer and more secure than stock if you flip the sled, hood is LATCHED !! Better than stock, going to do it to my other m sled and not as sharp on the nub in you hit it with a knee while sledding in shorts.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
yep

Spend $20 and get two new latches and put them on the hood, or four of them. It will keep your hood closed in a roll over, or it does mine. I have two on each side, above can, and above clutch.

C

cobbycat

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 15, 2008
salmon arm, b.c.
I took a pair of drywall screws and heated them up almost red hot, and carefully screwed them down into the nubs. been there for a year now!! and my sled takes a s##t kicking every weekend. even hit a deer and they stayed!!

L
Jan 2, 2009
Iowa
I got some aluminum pieces from my arctic dealer, and ground off the tab on the hood. I then cut a slot and put the piece through the hood. you can glue on the back side or there is a hole to run a small bolt through. The hook shaped piece that is sticking out it just like the factory hood tab and is actually better. I can post some pics if anybody is interested. The dealer said they were race strap mounts but i have never seem them b4.

L
Jan 2, 2009
Iowa
strap catch fix

I needed to paint my hood anyways, so i countersunk the bolts and did the body work on the outside to eliminate them. I wasnt worried about the inside, i just added sum plexis to make it stronger.
This can be done by just grinding a slot where the old one is and a hole for a bolt and thats it! no paint work or glueing. I just did some extra.
i can probably get the two aluminum pieces for about $20 shipped
any questions just ask
Luke

strap7.jpg strap6.jpg strap5.jpg strap4.jpg strap3.jpg strap2.jpg strap1.jpg

Premium Features