• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Switching from an 800 Dragon to a Nitro, how do they compare?

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I am sick of my D8. When it runs, I LOVE it. Problem is it never runs. I am looking at trading it in for a left over 09 nitro, or even an 08 if I can find one. I have never ridden one as of yet, so I'm not sure what they are all about, but I'm told they handle really nicely, kind of like the IQ's or M chassis. Any one ride both and have an opinion on this? I love how my D8 handles, carving, boon docking through the trees I love the chassis, how does the nitro compare?

How about the power? I know it's very hard to compare a four stoke power to a two stroke, as it's a totally different kind of power. My dad had an 07 attak. And I can say that when it hooks up, you can feel it pulls harder than the D8, but not by much. I know the nitro is rated at 20 HP under the apex, but am also told it pulls unreal on the bottom end, it's the top end where you feel the power loss? Can anyone compare the power of an 800 RMK to a nitro? I know it's hard to do, but seat of the pants how does it feel? I don't want to down grade to something that feels like a 600. I love my HP but can't afford a turbo. Might do an intake and exhaust. There are a few guys around here who have done those two mods, and are very impressed. I can't demo one from the local dealer, as they don't offer demos, they will rent one to me. But I don't know if I want to spend that much just to see how it feels. But we will see. Maybe a can talk them into letting me demo one of their rentals, after all they might be able to sell me sled if they let me ride one.

So basically just looking for general comparisons of the two sleds. I ride mostly at about 1000'-2000'. One or two trips to the mountains per winter, so high marking is not a big concern to me. I mostly ride the flats, boon docking in the trees when we can find a nice hill that is open enough to ride on. Some ditch banging, drifts and what ever we can find to ride.

Sell me on a nitro! Thanks. :beer;

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
As far as the D8 goes I must admit I don't have much time on one but found the power to be good and the sled rolls very easy, almost too easy compared to what I'm used to. Currently I have an 09' Nytro and a 08' XP. The XP is a very capable mountain sled and feels very light but even with the sway bar removed it handles very different from a D8 or Nytro. The Nytro is very well balance and the power is SOOOOOOO smooth. The 08's and 09's have poor all around tracks on them. The 10's should be better. However, for the price of a 2010 you could buy an 09' and put a better track on it and still have money left over. I put alot of miles on my Nytro and prefer it to my XP (just my preference) The Nytro is a great boondocking sled and really does surprisingly well climbing. It will not put the high mark on the hill period end of story. The Nytro is just a really fun sled. The M8 is also a great sled but if I were going to buy one I would by a 2010 just because of the higher seat. I dare say you will not be disappointed with a Nytro. If you go that route get about 2 or 3 days of seat time and you will feel comfortable with the sled because is does handle different than your Polaris.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta

Thanks, some good info in there.

As far as the D8 goes I must admit I don't have much time on one but found the power to be good and the sled rolls very easy, almost too easy compared to what I'm used to. Currently I have an 09' Nytro and a 08' XP. The XP is a very capable mountain sled and feels very light but even with the sway bar removed it handles very different from a D8 or Nytro. The Nytro is very well balance and the power is SOOOOOOO smooth. The 08's and 09's have poor all around tracks on them. The 10's should be better. However, for the price of a 2010 you could buy an 09' and put a better track on it and still have money left over. I put alot of miles on my Nytro and prefer it to my XP (just my preference) The Nytro is a great boondocking sled and really does surprisingly well climbing. It will not put the high mark on the hill period end of story. The Nytro is just a really fun sled. The M8 is also a great sled but if I were going to buy one I would by a 2010 just because of the higher seat. I dare say you will not be disappointed with a Nytro. If you go that route get about 2 or 3 days of seat time and you will feel comfortable with the sled because is does handle different than your Polaris.

Great thanks. :) How stable is it? I tend to like my sleds tippy, like my dragon, some times even more so would be nice. I am expecting to do the track in time, along with maybe the 2010 tunnel extension, wild child steering post set up, and maybe a two inch or so riser. As far as an XP, you couldn't give me one for free. I just can't get used to them, way to stable for my liking, even with the sway bar disconnected. There's a guy around who my dads knows pretty well, he would probably let me take his for a ride. Granted it's not stock. Has some thing done to his intake, exhaust I think as well. But I'll see, maybe I can still get an idea as to what it's about.

EDIT: LOL just saw my typo in there. :p

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Looks like I'm not the only one ready to jump ship. :p Welcome to the dark side. :beer;
Standing up the steering feels more like you are moving the bars up and down rather than side to side. And I felt as though the one I rode tipped just fine. Not quite as easy as the dragon, but still easy.
Sounds like skis really help that situation. Yamaha has some A-arm guards that may assist in deep pow tipping as well.
The power feels really good from the Yami mill. Everyone says it, but it feels like more than 130hp. Maybe that's at the track HP? :D Push a button and go, ride all day and smile because you won't be worried about your (mine too) dragon leaving you stranded.
Looks like a lot of riders have gone to a 19 tooth top gear. Stock I believe is 20/40. I like to get as close to 2.25 as I can but it requires a longer chain for a 19/43 setup. Anyone know if this fits? Track speed is good! :beer;
The biggest bonus on the 2010 to me anyway is the better approach angle of the track. Does Yamaha have any adjustment on the 08-09? Or did they change the front torque arm on the 2010? I'm curious if this can be improved on the others.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Thanks, some good info in there.

Great thanks. :) How stable is it? I tend to like my sleds tippy, like my dragon, some times even more so would be nice. I am expecting to do the track in time, along with maybe the 2010 tunnel extension, wild child steering post set up, and maybe a two inch or so riser. As far as an XP, you couldn't give me one for free. I just can't get used to them, way to stable for my liking, even with the sway bar disconnected. My dad knows a guy around who my dads knows pretty well, he would probably let me take his for a ride. Granted it's not stock. Has some thing done to his intake, exhaust I think as well. But I'll see, maybe I can still get an idea as to what it's about.

The sled is very easy to throw around. I have a friend who rides an XP and when he rode my Nytro he said if he didn't know the XP was lighter he'd sworn the Nytro was. It handles that well in the powder.

M
Jun 9, 2008
Maine
I dont want to mislead anyone, but its my understanding that only the SE's have the lower approach angle and the new single-ply track. My dealer had to work to find me 2 SE 162's, but I'm sure there will be alot more out west. The model allotment is pretty nutty IMO, I was told from the New England regional rep that there are only 5 SE 162's alloted to all of this region... And I have 2, so there gonna be scarce here.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Yeah thefullmonte, I'm ready right now! I hope I can find a dealer who is willing to give me pretty good coin for my dragon, cause I can't afford to pay a ton extra on top. Not many guys at my age can.:rolleyes: That being a big reason for me looking for an 08 or 09. I have an uncle who works at a fab shop who can really brace the sub frame for me, probably for the cost of the metal, so that's not a concern for me. The track angle, that really won't bother me all that much around here, toward the end of the year I will notice it, as right now we are at about 4 feet of powder in the trees, where it hasn't drifted at all, so when your playing in places like that I guess it will trench some. But not like it's as big a deal for me here, as it would be for some one who rode only the mountains. As far as skis, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my grippers. lol I put them on my old gen two XC, have them on my dragon, and I'm wondering if there is any way I can put them on the Nitro? Because I would, those skis work awesome for all the kinds of riding I do. I would think it should work? Haven't really looked yet to see if the yamaha rubber blocks would fit in the gripper saddle.

Yeah I'm hearing that about the handling a lot. That's great, cause it's exactly what I want in a sled. Easy, one foot per running board carving circles, that's my dragon for you, and that's what I'm looking for again. Only with four stroke reliability. :D

I would love a 2010 SE 153, but there is no way I can swing that. :( Shucks, o well. An 08 or 09 with improvements over time as I can afford them will suit me just fine I'm sure. My closest dealer is just over an hour away, and I am heading up there today to help a buddy with some work there, I'll see if we can stop in, maybe I can take a nitro out for a quite run.

M
Nov 26, 2007
I'm wondering if there is any way I can put them on the Nitro? Because I would, those skis work awesome for all the kinds of riding I do. I would think it should work? Haven't really looked yet to see if the yamaha rubber blocks would fit in the gripper saddle.

do a search on pioneer performance, i thought I seen a kit for thoses skis to fit a Nytro

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
do a search on pioneer performance, i thought I seen a kit for thoses skis to fit a Nytro

O ok, awesome, that would be great, thanks.

Well I went to the dealer, no demos, and a rental is $250 a day, so screw that for now, I'll see if I can take take that nitro for a spin, the one I mentioned before, from the guy my dad knows. If I want to trade my dragon in, he said he would have to see it first, but his blue book price was around $6000!!!!!! Can. I didn't know they were worth that little. I bought it for $11,000 can this winter. So I think I'll try to sell it next fall, then just straight up buy a nitro. Or if I can sell it now for a good price I'll do that. He has a few 08 40th nitros, that are his rental sleds, have about 200 miles on them, he said I could have one for around $10,000 Where as if I go new, I'm paying $13,000 he says. That sounds high for an 08 to me? This is all in Canadian dollars. What do you guys think of prices like that? He said if I come back next fall, he can give me maybe $10,000 for my dragon, but the nitro price will go up just as much, so I don't gain anything waiting till fall he says. But I might head back some time with my sled, so he can see it, and give me a solid number.

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
O ok, awesome, that would be great, thanks.

Well I went to the dealer, no demos, and a rental is $250 a day, so screw that for now, I'll see if I can take take that nitro for a spin, the one I mentioned before, from the guy my dad knows. If I want to trade my dragon in, he said he would have to see it first, but his blue book price was around $6000!!!!!! Can. I didn't know they were worth that little. I bought it for $11,000 can this winter. So I think I'll try to sell it next fall, then just straight up buy a nitro. Or if I can sell it now for a good price I'll do that. He has a few 08 40th nitros, that are his rental sleds, have about 200 miles on them, he said I could have one for around $10,000 Where as if I go new, I'm paying $13,000 he says. That sounds high for an 08 to me? This is all in Canadian dollars. What do you guys think of prices like that? He said if I come back next fall, he can give me maybe $10,000 for my dragon, but the nitro price will go up just as much, so I don't gain anything waiting till fall he says. But I might head back some time with my sled, so he can see it, and give me a solid number.

Red deer Yamaha was selling 09 Nytro MTXs for 10,000 + tax.

I was there on March 3.

Mar 4, 2009
hey 600xc4me where are you located at i would definatly check other places for prices i live in oregon and i just picked a 2009 nytro with 0 miles on it for 7800.00 10,000 sounds way to high for me maybe thats the going price there but maybe check around just trying to help you!!!:)

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
The sled is very easy to throw around. I have a friend who rides an XP and when he rode my Nytro he said if he didn't know the XP was lighter he'd sworn the Nytro was. It handles that well in the powder.

I would agree with that as I got to ride the xp,m7 and d7 all on the same hill the same day. The nytro is so very easy to handle in the soft fluff(altho the stock track is pure and literal and totally useless,putting it as nice as I can) I found the xp MUCH harder to flip over for a side hill but about 3 months later when the snow was not pure powder the nytro(esp.under boost) was more than a handful to go technical and I mean thru the trees and creeks etc. The dragon 700 was the total opposite a real breeze to boondock. I am currently looking at the cat(more than the dragon,due to motor issues) M-8 or M10 with boost.......jmho

V
Nov 27, 2008
North Bend, WA
hey 600xc4me where are you located at i would definatly check other places for prices i live in oregon and i just picked a 2009 nytro with 0 miles on it for 7800.00 10,000 sounds way to high for me maybe thats the going price there but maybe check around just trying to help you!!!:)

Red Deer is in Alberta, so 10k Canadian is like 8,100 USD. Close but not as good a deal as you got.

Last edited:

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Red Deer is in Alberta, so 10k Canadian is like 8,100 USD. Close but not as good a deal as you got.

I'm in La Crete, still Alberta though, just way north from Red Deer. I am looking used ones, found some good sleds. What would you guys think of this one? I don't know much of anything about the ecomb skids. And a 16 wide track? that would make the sled more stable and harder to carve with no? Here's the add.

"2008 yamaha nytro mtx with custom rear ecomb skid and 156x16x2.5, Lefty throttle, slip on skinz pipe, custom tank on the back, have all stock parts (skid,track,muffler,winshield) 841 km all mountain riding. Selling because I want a rhino- looking for trades on a side by side."

And a picture of the sled.

What would you think? Not sure on price, but I think it's around $9500. Maybe a bit more.

NIRTO WITH ECOMB SKID.jpg

bigtvents

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Armstrong, B.C.
Nytro price.

Try Mile Zero Motorsports in Dawson Creek, B.C. 1-250-782-4808. They are advertising '09 Nytro MTX for $9399. I would think that there will be freight/PDI on top of that, but it might be worth a phone call.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Ok, I was told by my dealer today that polaris has a fix coming for my sled, something that works to keep these motors together. So I'm gonna hold off a while, see what the fix is, and go from there.

Premium Features