• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stretching the old Vmax 700

N
Nov 3, 2008
Mass
Well after swapping my beater sleds a few times this winter, i ended up with this cherry 98 Vmax 700 XTC. so far i only have $275 into it. And it runs beautiful, surprisingly fast and actually feels light??

I ride up in maine, 0-4000ft and my 09 m1000 has 9900 miles on it now, so i need a good backup for when the cat blows up.

Plans are to extend the vmax to a 136 or 144 and use a older polaris RMK 2" lug track. Ive heard those tracks are durable and can be found decently cheap.
I want to build this sled to a powder capable backup sled under a budget. looking to spend $800. i dont need anymore power, unless i find some pipes for $100 or so.

I already researched and i will need mountain max 8tooth drivers for the 2" lug track to fit, but im not sure what to do about the skid...either buy extensions for $100 or so or find a skidoo renegade suspension and bolt that in. anybody got ideas about the skid? and will the drivers from a 00 mountain max bolt right in or do i have to press the ones on my sled off the driveshaft and press the new 8tooth drivers on?

vmax.jpg

B
Jan 26, 2013
If you are going to swap drivers do yourself the favor and put on anti ratchet drivers. you can run the track looser for free horsepower and not have to worry about track ratcheting when getting on it with the sled locked into grippy snow.

A

attak06

Dec 23, 2007
st. cloud mn

if you use a ski doo skid. make sure it has the larger diameter shock shafts so they can be completely rebuilt. I used an early 2000 ski doo skid when i stretched an sxr and the shock shaft seals were not replaceable. I think the new shafts are 5/8 inch.

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
I used a Polaris track so I could keep the 2.52" pitch drivers, tracks USA was selling the 159" for $299.00

I put a Ski-doo SC10-III from an '06 Summit adrenaline in mine, I really like the skid and it was an easy install, you need some spacers since the skid is a little narrower than the Yami skid. Don't know how much you want to spend, but if you can find a tunnel/bulkhead that's been dropped & rolled, it's a huge upgrade.

If it doesn't have one, get a 47* helix for your secondary clutch as well, makes a big difference on a mountain sled and shouldn't cost much.

Last edited:
N
Nov 3, 2008
Mass
I used a Polaris track so I could keep the 2.52" pitch drivers, tracks USA was selling the 159" for $299.00

I put a Ski-doo SC10-III from an '06 Summit adrenaline in mine, I really like the skid and it was an easy install, you need some spacers since the skid is a little narrower than the Yami skid. Don't know how much you want to spend, but if you can find a tunnel/bulkhead that's been dropped & rolled, it's a huge upgrade.

If it doesn't have one, get a 47* helix for your secondary clutch as well, makes a big difference on a mountain sled and shouldn't cost much.

yep i was going to go with a used polaris track, theres one local for $150 with a lug missing. might be able to get it for $100 over the summer
now does the sc10-III bolt right up no drilling or anything? i could find a 144" or 136" im sure that would be great!
im thinking a drop/rolled chassis would be near impossible to get, and even the template/kit is very hard to find nowadays but if someone out there has one/ still makes one im not afraid to do that. for now though 8 tooth drivers is all im doing to fit the 2" track

thankyou for the clutching reccomendation!

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
You bet. I lucked out and found an Ekholm tunnel/bulkhead, it was pretty much stripped, but since the holes were already there, it was pretty much just a swap over, I did have to mod the chaincase myself, but there's a bunch of pics and measurements posted on how to do that. Hartman might still do the chaincase mod.
I think the front holes line up for the SCIII, I wasn't sure because my tunnel had a few holes in it when I got it from the previous owner and I'm not sure what skid he used. Here's a thread I started on the swap, has a couple pics of my setup too.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314382

N
Nov 3, 2008
Mass
your sled looks awesome!!

thanks for the dimensions on that thread i dont have a doo around to get them from. im hoping the front holes match up and i can drill new rear ones. but if they are both different than that would be a huge pain

Premium Features