• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stock Pipe/exhaust vs. SLP/aftermarket Pipe

B
Jan 25, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Hi Guys,

I just picked up an 09 M8 Sno Pro and the sled came with a SLP pipe and can along with the stock pipe and can. Traditionally, I have kept my sleds stock with the exception of a can, air intake, venting, and maybe a clutch kit. I'm curious what your experiences have been using a SLP or other aftermarket pipe vs. the stock pipe with or without an aftermarket can.

I've always had the opinion that adding an aftermarket pipe without adding a fuel controller doesn't make much sense, and makes the sled more finicky. I'm thinking about taking the sled back to stock minus the can and a SLP air intake.

What do you think?

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
All I can say is that I really love my slp setup, but I have a fuel controller. I don't know for sure, but I would be pretty skeptical about running the slp pipe setup without a controller. Unless you have egt's or or an afr gauge setup you will have a hard time telling whether it is tuned correctly without the controller. I would be pretty worried about melting it down. Do you have any idea how long the previous owner ran that setup?

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
SLP

My opinion is that the pipe is as advertised by SLP. No fuel controller needed, weight savings and it just plain runs. I have a 2007 with 4200 miles with the same setup and it to this day runs with the 2010/11 sleds. Have had zero problems and it wakes that engine/sled up. Clutch for 8100 rpm and have fun.

B
Jan 25, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Thanks for the replies Redwolf & GrandpaJ!

Redwolf - I was/am worried about the exhaust being run without a controller. The sled has had the exhaust system for 200-300 miles, and everything looks/seems fine. Thanks for your input, I'm thinking that I will either purchase a controller or take the sled back to stock...

GrandpaJ - It's great to hear your opinion as it sounds like you basically have the same setup as I do now. Glad to hear your sled has run well with the SLP exhaust and that you haven't had any issues. Other than the exhaust, did you add any venting, etc?

Thanks for your help!

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
SLP

I have been around at least 6 of these sleds with this set up and yes there are those that have run fuel controllers and probably gained some. But we have had no failures and they just plain run.
Yes we put some clutch and exhaust side lower vents for the clutches etc, and the gauge lifter that vents also.
Of course there is an opinion on everything, so do what feels best for you.
I've had this sled since new, yes I put new pistons in at 2900 miles and it was a waste of time, they were fine, but put new in just cause it was apart.
Great engine, pipe just makes it a bit better, and the 2009 had a bunch of improvements to the chassis and the reverse, so you should have a great sled.
Again the key is to get it to run at the RPM that SLP recommends. 8100.
I have cutler adjustable weights and their gold/white spring and adjust as nessasary for the rpm.
My 2 cent opinion

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I too have an 09 with a full SLP setup, including their intake and ran it without a controller for a couple years with no issues. It freaked me out when I would watch my EGTs go over 1,300 degrees but, nothing ever happened. Inside of the motor still looks great. I just don't look at my EGTs anymore. :face-icon-small-ton

In fact, I love the setup so much that I sent my cylinders, heads and power valves to SLP and had them do their Stage III modifications. The sled is completely awesome now (especially with a 2.6" Powerclaw and MDS clutch weights). However, with the Stage III kit, I did purchase a preloaded Power Commander from SLP.

Bottom line, just run your sled like it is. These motors are ridiculously bulletproof and make sure you use good oil. Although, they don't seem to be finicky about oil either.

B
Jan 25, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Thanks for your replies everybody! I sincerely appreciate it. Since I'm used to running my sleds stock with a clutch kit, I was nervous purchasing a sled with a SLP exhaust and no controller but my fears have been relieved! Thanks again and I hope you all get into some deep snow this winter!

Grandpaj , I'll be sure to get the sled running at 8100 and I'm going to look at the cutler weights and spring that you mentioned. Thanks!

S
Nov 30, 2007
cda, idaho
all the research that i did on this set up the 09 and older don't need the power commander

the 2010 and up with the newer motor from cat(suzuki) does need the power commander. i have a 2010 full slp set up and i love it, would do it again with thinking about it.

with the 09 setup, put gas in it and ride, have a great winter!

M
Jul 12, 2010
Adrian,OR
Pipe

09 m8 piped and ported for 4000 miles riding 4 to 9000 feet no controller needed! The 09s don't need a controller but go to a 10 or 11 they do. Ride it have fun and grip it and rip it it will be fine!

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I've got a 2010 M8 with only the SLP can and I've run it one season thus far. Runs great. I can't say it runs any better than stock but it is 13# lighter because I weighed them, and the underhood temps have decreased. The 13# margin could decrease depending what there may be inside the can to trap oil because the OEM can was weighed after about 1300 miles of use.

F
Mar 19, 2010
North Dakota
I've got a 2010 M8 with only the SLP can and I've run it one season thus far. Runs great. I can't say it runs any better than stock but it is 13# lighter because I weighed them, and the underhood temps have decreased. The 13# margin could decrease depending what there may be inside the can to trap oil because the OEM can was weighed after about 1300 miles of use.
Are you running a controller? I know a guy with a 12 proclimb with no controller and so far no problems, just curious if you are using one?

F
Mar 19, 2010
North Dakota
Thanks Coldfinger, Not trying to hi-jack thread but has anyone had a full pipe kit with no controller on a 10-11 with out issues? A friend has a 12 with kit with no problems yet, just curious if anyone has any experience with out controller

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
The 10-14 M8s need fuel controllers while running full exhaust. The fuel maps stock are too tight to run without a controller. The 07-09 can run without a fuel controller because of their fuel mapping. But no sled is the same, so some may have problems without a controller and some wont.

T

torchred

Dec 31, 2013
Might be a dumb question, but did anyone have an EGT setup with the stock pipe to see the difference in temps after the SLP pipe kit install? I am just curious how much warmer the sled runs and if that increase is anything to worry about.

What elevation are you guys running the full SLP exhaust kit at (3000ft-8000ft)

Thanks

Premium Features