• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speedwerks

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Has anyone tried the Speedwerx clutch kits for 6-8 k ft? Are they a good kit, worth the money ?
HYPERSHIFT CLUTCH KIT // 2020-2021 M 8000 ALPHA ONE - STOCK PIPE

schaef_12

Lifetime Membership
Sep 7, 2011
I just put a speedwerx stage 2 kit on my 2020. I was surprised to find that the factory primary spring was broken under 250 miles. I have not ridden the setup yet, but I am looking forward to see how it works.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I just put a speedwerx stage 2 kit on my 2020. I was surprised to find that the factory primary spring was broken under 250 miles. I have not ridden the setup yet, but I am looking forward to see how it works.
I would be interested in any ride reports on your new clutching.

schaef_12

Lifetime Membership
Sep 7, 2011
It is clear the the spring sticks and is not able to rotate while being compressed which leads to the spring breaking. I ordered Delrin washers for what I thought was the primary but alas they were for the secondary clutch. I have not been able to find any for the primary yet. But haven't looked super hard either.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I was riding different locations/elevations/snow conditions every weekend after putting them in and also changed spring rate at the same time so I honestly can't say if they improved any of the shifting characteristics.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i been using thunder glide washers in my 17 for years. started with just one on the cover side iirc where i noticed the spring digs into the aluminum. noticed no increase in engagement rpm i would say it actually went down if anything. istalled one on the other end last season and that def. increased engagement just a hair which i like on the zuke. These are must have if your breaking springs. throw some titanium cover bolts in when ya do it!

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Your changing the overall rates on the springs running them/and or the Delrin washers- just the nature of the beast. Is the stock spring called for in the stage 2 kit??- seems a bit that there would be a change

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Your changing the overall rates on the springs running them/and or the Delrin washers- just the nature of the beast.
i disagree youre not changing the overall rate at all, just the preload. and in my case I believe the reduction of binding led to no change or even slightly lower engagement using just one.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
The spring tension should increase equally across the entire shift. It's more noticeable at engagement since the spring tension at engagement is much lower than at full shift out.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The spring tension should increase equally across the entire shift. It's more noticeable at engagement since the spring tension at engagement is much lower than at full shift out.

^This. Springs work on a force/distance compressed system. We're not changing the spring rate, but say the spring constant is 100lb/in. At 1" of compression it takes a force of 100lb. At 2" of compression it takes a force of 200lb. If you compress the spring 1" to get the outer cover on then you throw a 1/4" shim between the cover and the spring it now takes 125lb to start making the spring compress further. Engagement force has had to increase by 25%. Compressing the spring another inch to 2.25" requires a total force of 225lb. That's a 12.5% increase in force. 25% is more noticeable than 12.5%, so you notice the engagement change more.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
rule of thumb, preload is adjusting the force required to overcome the spring tension; engagement. final tension of a spring is the same no matter what force it takes to get it moving. The thunder products glide washers are probably not even 1/32". I would try one, especially if you have the exploding cover model. I dont like adding ANY rotating weight so would use the ZRP Ti cover bolts same time. I like the ease of ajustment on the CPC weights. They were also well matched on my gram scale unlike the factory weights. I would do these little tweaks to any new cat first thing, just me.

Premium Features