• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spark plug substitutions for Champion RN57YCC

Is anyone aware of a substitution for the Champion RN57YCC sparkplug? I spoke with my dealer and he said that due to the dual heat range on this plug there were no subs. However, after a little research I found a Snowtechmagazine article that states "According to Polaris, the NGK BPR9ES and NGK BPR9EVX spark plugs are acceptable substitutes for the Champion RN57YCC and RN57YC spark plugs now found on Polaris engines. The NGK plugs seem to have better sealing gaskets that reduce seepage anytime the plugs have been removed and reinstalled. The ”EV” is a premium fine-wire electrode version of the “ES”." So does anyone have an opinon???

J
Dec 4, 2007
Northern Sweden
Bpr9eix iridium "premium class" sparkplug they are rekomended for highperformeance 800 cc polaris engines,they are the same kind like Bpr9es,B9es,Bp9es but are more like a "standard class" sparkplug.

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
I changed out to NGK's on both the 07 700 and 06 900 and ran last season. Had two sets foul on the 07 700 last year.

I switched back to the Champions this season and prefer them over the NGK. The 700 purrs and does not have the hiccups like I heard on the NGKs.

Had fouling on the NGK's on the 07 700 and with more miles this year already, I have no issues with the Champions. They are looking beautiful right now.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
My wife's sled is an 07 600, and always ran champion. Tried the NGK BR9ES this year, sled was backfiring when first started, and consistenltly loading up when riding.

Went back to the Champion and all is well.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input!!. I checked again with dealer and he said that you could use the ngk plug. Also stated that the dragon puts out different spark at excellerated rpms?? Is that possible? Is that a product of EFI? Doesn't the length of the electrode determine the heat range.

B
Sep 21, 2004
One of the local dealers hear in Colorado ( Xtreme Performace) found by mistake that the Champions were good for an extra 2 horse on a dyno. They had been running NGK for years and did all there tests using NGK's. Apparently one day they were seeing 2 hp increases in a set up that was static with no changes.....or at least they thought. They figured it out to be the spark plugs were stock and did not get changed out.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
why is everyone against the champions? they are actually cheaper than the ngk's at our shop at least, and i have never noticed a difference. i ran two sets of the iridium br9eix's and burned through both sets in 30 miles this season, so i went back to the rm57ycc's and havent had to change plugs in 350 miles

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
One of the local dealers hear in Colorado ( Xtreme Performace) found by mistake that the Champions were good for an extra 2 horse on a dyno. They had been running NGK for years and did all there tests using NGK's. Apparently one day they were seeing 2 hp increases in a set up that was static with no changes.....or at least they thought. They figured it out to be the spark plugs were stock and did not get changed out.

Interesting... but. 2hp to 150hp is 1.3% change... what's the repeatability of that dyno.... i'm sure there's some measurement error there that could change that by 2% or more.

B
Sep 21, 2004
2% is two percent.....$8.00 for a variance of lets say 1-2 hp? Or $300 bucks for silencers that proclaim 3-4 hp increases that dyno's have proven over and over again to not increase horsepower at all. Believe it or do not believe? It doesn't matter to me.

Another example proven on dyno's are the proclamations made by reed valve companies. The only reed company that Xtreme has been able to verify actual hp increases on dynos over the last decade is Moto Tisanarri with v-force III.

Donovan and team down there are very thorough. After stumbling upon this they repeatedly verified this consistantly on other polaris powerplants and various dyno runs. I must state that this information I discussed with Xtreme was about the 800 VES Liberty motors. I did not speak to other displacements. Since then, they have recommend the Champions.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Is anyone aware of a substitution for the Champion RN57YCC sparkplug? I spoke with my dealer and he said that due to the dual heat range on this plug there were no subs. However, after a little research I found a Snowtechmagazine article that states "According to Polaris, the NGK BPR9ES and NGK BPR9EVX spark plugs are acceptable substitutes for the Champion RN57YCC and RN57YC spark plugs now found on Polaris engines. The NGK plugs seem to have better sealing gaskets that reduce seepage anytime the plugs have been removed and reinstalled. The ”EV” is a premium fine-wire electrode version of the “ES”." So does anyone have an opinon???
Polaris even has a company doc. off their racing info web page that stated that the NGK's were totally compatable! I have three of us that have used both. We dont see much of a difference either way.

As far as the 600 loading up..well my wifes did the same thing, especially after it was rolled over even for a second. They are jetted extremely rich. They are carbed and will run richer the higher you go. After adding some flowrites and checking and fine tuning the jetting she is much better. Hers has a SLP pipe and can, other than that bone stock. It is crisp and responsive.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Any thoughts on the NGK BR9EYA plug?

Doesn't have the protruded electrode like the RN57YCC and BPR9ES do. You may see more loading up on the motor and possibly foul plugs because of this.

On a side note, Champions are made in the USA, NGK's are made in Japan, they perform the same, Champions are cheaper, seems like an easy choice to me. :rolleyes:

B
Sep 21, 2004
Doesn't have the protruded electrode like the RN57YCC and BPR9ES do. You may see more loading up on the motor and possibly foul plugs because of this.

On a side note, Champions are made in the USA, NGK's are made in Japan, they perform the same, Champions are cheaper, seems like an easy choice to me. :rolleyes:

Good point .....I love it when a person see's it the way I see.....don't we as Americans already send enough of our money overseas to Japan? Keep it in the states and maybe the economy might turn around.....duh?

Premium Features