• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbikes....any quieter options yet?

D
Nov 22, 2017
Ive had bad thoughts about trying it out but the noise drives me nuts. Has anyone developed down pipes or anything that would help?

haven't tried anything, but a stock Husky FE501 is pretty damn tame noise wise . My neighbour's wife describes it as "very polite"

But ear protection is your best bet, even a quiet bike full throttle gets deep in the hearing damage territory.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I welded a short mandrel bend on the end cap to turn it down and slightly to the outside so it wasn't blowing on my spare tank. It made a huge improvement in noise and didn't effect power at all.

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I know what you mean... The trend is to use a "competition only" model (motocross race bike) that are only tuned to meet AMA noise requirements which are aimed at closed course racing. These bikes are the highest horsepower models available, and make the best snow bikes for that fact. But then a lot of fellas purchase aftermarket exhaust that is even louder. Why? I have no idea... The performance gains are minuscule compared to the annoyance factor. There are options out there that reduce noise, but they come at a cost - usually a loss in performance.

My solution was to buy a bike that was already reasonably quiet and leave the exhaust alone. My riding buddies say that unless they are directly behind me while really chugging up a hill, they can't really hear the motor.

As stated above, the Husky 501 (and it's orange twin, the KTM 500) are excellent choices. They make great power without being overly loud. I went with the Yamaha WR450 because of reliability and I have a great dealership. I'm a smaller guy, so that bike makes sufficient power for my needs.

One more point that should be made... It is common for these bikes to be held in the higher RPM ranges for long periods of time, versus the on-off throttle of their intended use. That really exaggerates the noise level that they produce. I've been an equipment operator my whole adult life and also am prone to migraine headaches, so I wear earplugs a lot. It is common for me to wear them when vacuuming the house because I am sensitive to the noise. I wore them when I raced motocross even in the 2 stroke era. I carry them in my pack when riding the snow bike in case the noise starts getting to me, but have only put them in a few times. And it's mostly due to the noise from other bikes - not my own. Just something to consider...

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
snow x not good

ditto on the mx bikes, yeah a couple of more hp, brain killing sound, bad for the sport, killer for the guys riding them but cheap to buy.

please buy a quiet bike so I can ride for the next 20 years.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I put a quiet insert on my pipe and literally blew the end cap off completely, too much back pressure. need a tunnel dump or something.

Snowman269

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2010
CO, MN, MI
Stock muffler on a KTM 500 EXC flows good and is whisper quiet. You should check it out, it has to be the quietest setup available.

I've often thought about a Turbo and I'd have to make a quiet pipe, facing down.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I did mine just like the husaberg just welded it on but i had a stock steel end cap. I also had a stock xcw and a best dual sports end cap to test against and the sx muffler with the turn down had better power and was quiter than anything I tried.

M
Sep 19, 2016
Stock 2018 500 exc

Sounds great. Quiet throb. Pleasant in the mountains. Over 50 crowd like it. Younger people equate noise with more power but don't think I need to stand out like that. Ecu upgrades make more power and little noise increase.

Premium Features