• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP stage 2 kit

D
Sep 10, 2014
Bang for the bucks?

Do you guys think the stage 2 kit will make any noticeable gains in performance, or is it lost money?

Anybody tried this kits before and been pleased with the performance?

SLP themselves claim 14 lbs lost and 9 hp gains.

J
Feb 25, 2015
MAINE
I put the Stage 2 kit on my 2015 Axys Switchback last season and it made a huge difference. The weight that was shed was HUGE. I can't vouch for any actual HP numbers because I never did any Dyno time. The TONE of the Pipe & Can was throaty and crisp but not as loud as all the other pipes I've heard in todays market. The power was definately snappier and had more rip. I felt it was worth the money to me. "TO EACH IS OWN THOUGH" :hippie:

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Bang for the bucks?

Do you guys think the stage 2 kit will make any noticeable gains in performance, or is it lost money?

Anybody tried this kits before and been pleased with the performance?

SLP themselves claim 14 lbs lost and 9 hp gains.

Soon as it snows I will let you know. The can I was looking at was ~500 and I got the SLP pipe/can for 650. I have a hard time with the 9 HP gain myself, but for 150 more than the can I am willing to roll the dice. I hope it delivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
That is not as bad as finding out Santa Claus is not real, but close.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
A2d sledworks in Alaska has there 2016 pro with the slp pipe+can on the snow this year already, there saying they believe the 9hp. Gain going buy what they have for stock clutching and the slp pipe clutching.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I wil never use a aftermarket pipe anymore, i had the head, pipe combo last season and it was a huge headache. Tiers no doubt it made power but the side effects sucked. I blew sparkplugs like crazy, everytime the motor went from being hot to cooler egts due to low speed opration.i tried every type of plug without any success. I called the tech line and was told the kit is to be used at high throttle postions not puttung through trees like i do offten.
Also constantly juggling between 2 fuel maps, cause 1 would be lean at wot and other rich at low trottle positions. When the duckes were lined up this combo made nice power but its like drinking, thiers side effects and they suck,
For 2016 im on a axys and only intend to put a can on it otherwise stock
This kit needs a hot motor with high egts to work otherwise your buying grief. Jmho

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
With all do resect to dynotech I don't believe I should. As a subscription based company I guess you should subscribe but here is the basics.

It was in a report that was dynoing a customers sled 2 times. One was on break in where the sled made 156hp,160hp with a hot Polaris supplied ecu. They redynoed it with 1200 miles and it made 156hp again. They then put on the slp pipe and resistor which made 4hp more. The ssi pipe mod made the same peak power but was 2-3hp more in the midrange with the stock can. Jim seemed happy with the gains but that is less than half of what they are advertising. I don't know what clutching was in the sled. They did say they were going to add 1mm base gasket shim to decrease compression and then increase timing similar to D&D less than stock but haven't reported anything since. I was hoping to see multiple pipes tested on the same sled like years past but nothing so far. They did report break in mode of 150 miles of extra fuel and 18 hours of extra oil. Having the sled in non-ethanol mode made better power too.

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
Funny thing was they had 3-4 axys sleds there and they were all over the place in power. One was garbage and 3 were 145-156hp range. I spoke with a previous Polaris employee and they color code their injectors based upon power so I guess you make power based upon what color injectors you have?

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
The color coding of the injectors is to match sets after bench testing for fuel flow. The differences in flow are not large, but, enough to require a little different ECU mapping for the different colored sets. Lower flow injectors would be open for a little longer period of time (we are talking milliseconds here) by the ECU program at various throttle settings than higher flow injectors. There should be no real noticeable power difference between them as the fuel flow difference has been compensated for. That does not mean that there will be no power difference between like motors, but, this is probably not the primary reason for the difference.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
When or if it decides to snow I have my sled with SLP setup and stock to compare. Both 163 2.6 with identical options. I won't have anything but how it feels, but will see if my coin was worth it.

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
The previous employee said he was the dyno operator for a lot of the axys motors. He too found large discrepancies in power and then eluded to the injectors but didnt' go into detail.
The turd at dynotech finally made power. They were finding the power valves weren't opening past 3/4. It was going into some sort of limp mode and they adjusted the tps against polaris' advise and it solved it. I don't know the full details just relaying.

Premium Features