• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Silencer Voids Warranty?

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
So I just paid for my new AXYS RMK, and asked the dealer if there would be any issue adding the SLP silencer, not the full pipe set just the can, and he said it would absolutely void the warranty.
2 questions,
1 Is this true? Or is this particular dealer misinformed
2 If I went ahead and put it on anyway, there's absolutely no way they can tell if I put the stock back on before going in for service. (hopefully not)

Never had anything new that I was told an exhaust would void the warranty on.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I have seen dealers decline warranty repairs for having a slp can on it, the guy had to pay engine because of it.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
So I just paid for my new AXYS RMK, and asked the dealer if there would be any issue adding the SLP silencer, not the full pipe set just the can, and he said it would absolutely void the warranty.
2 questions,
1 Is this true? Or is this particular dealer misinformed
2 If I went ahead and put it on anyway, there's absolutely no way they can tell if I put the stock back on before going in for service. (hopefully not)

Never had anything new that I was told an exhaust would void the warranty on.

1. I know dealers the operate that way , it's considered a mod , so they blame that if there is a failure. I don't agree with it either.

2. Careful playing that game , having a brand new shiny oem silencer on a sled with 1000miles and a blown engine. Is red flag to Polaris. They're not dumb.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
read your warranty poo has it locked down tight. and no surprise. anyway to get out of the high quality 800 product they make.

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
1. I know dealers the operate that way , it's considered a mod , so they blame that if there is a failure. I don't agree with it either.

2. Careful playing that game , having a brand new shiny oem silencer on a sled with 1000miles and a blown engine. Is red flag to Polaris. They're not dumb.

Thats a really good point on the 2nd question. sigh... guess I'll leave it on, its not worth losing 3 years of warranty over 10lbs

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Seems to me like this always depends on your dealer. I had the dealer put on the SLP pipe and can on my Axys when I bought. Hoping I don't find out how a warranty claim goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
It was only several seasons ago you could buy a SLP can thru Pure Polaris catalog as approved accessory.Times change I guess.

Run the stock can during break-in.Put on the SLP can after stocker is burned off. Warranty issue,put stocker back on.A good dealer should back you up,but why risk it.:face-icon-small-con

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
If they want to mess with you for putting a can on, they could. Not saying it's right by any means, and as mentioned, just a year or two ago, you could buy a SLP can out of the PG&A catalog. You could always fight it, of course. Same goes for pipes.

On some SLP pipes you have to run their SLP cans, e.g., or you will squeak a piston. The ported motor 800ho doo pipe is a great example. Everyone else's cans were too tight for the SLP pipe, regardless of fueling (had one, I know first hand). Point being - a can could cause a burndown, tho other factors, like the wrong can for the motor, would have to contribute to the issue. Following SLP's setup recommendations on a new can, it's not gonna be the cause of a burndown, but if poo can find a way to wiggle out of warranty, just or not, they likely will try. A highly respected poo dealer, like Carl's, supporting you would help alot. Otherwise, you are a pilgrim in the wilderness. Me - put the recommended SLP can on after breakin, but don't bring it to the dealer for warranty work without changing back to stock.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
It doesn't with my dealer. If they decline I would suggest taking to a different dealer.

Dealers actually have no authority to deny warranty claims as they are not the ones that issued the warranty. It is their obligation as a dealer to submit your claim to the Polaris Warranty department as they are the ones that issued the warranty and have delegated the warranty submittal process to their dealers.
SLP and the Polaris Engine development crew have a good relationship and they know that SLP can's don't alter the motor's performance.

If your dealer is playing warranty god and won't help you out complain to Polaris directly and take your business elsewhere. Dealers should always be on the side of their customers(or at least pretend to be)

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
A simple can like a slp or skinz ultra q would not do anything I would worry more about a mountain can that is strait threw pretty much. All guys I ride with have ultra q or slp before sleds have a mile on em and they are all running great from 05 on threw all the different models we all have had

Premium Features