• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Boost Clutching

C
Nov 10, 2013
Is anybody running the SLP power shift kit for the 22 boost? The theory behind the weight profile is interesting.

I’d like to know if it performs as advertised.

From SLP,

This clutch kit uses our innovative patents pendin Magnum Force Ultra Weights which utilizes a slingshot effect to transfer the Polaris Boost's impressive horsepower to the ground with precision using our industry exclusive mass profile. Its design delays initial shift, allowing the turbo to spool faster and then shifts aggressively, loading the engine and creating more exhaust heat. This improves boost function and generates more useable power quicker. The kit also includes a primary spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
They’re only for MY22 boosts.

Yeah but as soon as you need a new clutch then the weights become obsolete?

I just put the new clutch with updated spider on my 22 boost.

My clutch kit works great.

(It’s also from the original company that SLP ripped off the weight design from)

Indy specialty has been making weights with that same conceptual idea since 2017 (or earlier that’s just when i saw them)

B
Feb 17, 2019
I used the SLP weights last year. Performance was nice. Nice and snappy on the very bottom end. That’s the good. The not so good was a weird shift out at about 16MPH. It would go from the equivalent of 1st gear to 3rd or 4th gear as the sled increased in speed. Right at about 16MPH. Sort of annoying. After the weird shift out the sled was very lethargic accelerating until the turbo power would finally catch up. The other not so good thing was the weights wore distinct grooves in them near the heal. Once these grooves wore into the weights they would hang up on the grooves while trying to spool up.

C
Nov 10, 2013
Good info, thanks guys. Sheetmetalfab, you aren’t experiencing these negative characteristics with the Indy specialty kit?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
They work well. The little leg thsts behind weight centerline pulls up engagement and causes a way snappier bottom end then passes centerline and results in big upshift suddenly as described in pervious post. Riding around this 16-20mph area (depends on weight loading) there is a drastic change in feel.

Overall I liked them as they liven the bottom up a lot especially at high elevation and allowed use of a lower start rate spring which have less breakage issues.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Good info, thanks guys. Sheetmetalfab, you aren’t experiencing these negative characteristics with the Indy specialty kit?

I have 400 miles on my indy specialty setup.

No wear on the weights.

It rips my arms off throughout the shift range.

57-58 mph trackspeed.

B
Feb 17, 2019
From my post above I should have mentioned that for this year I decided to go with a P85, and TRS’s clutching. Awesome so far! Has the same awesome low end snap that the SLP setup had, but the TRS / P85 setup has almost no upshift at that 16MPH area. Had I not been looking for any shift out change at 16MPH I would not have even noticed the little bit that it has. Anyway….

Premium Features