• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Pro running on only 1 cylinder..HELP

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
With all this DET light talk I've got a few questions. Are there any ways to know that you are in fact hitting DET while the light is on. I'm saying this because for instance the airbox bolt hitting the bulkhead will throw the code(my airbox tab near the bolt was also hitting the bulkhead and I thought there was plenty of clearance but that might be a different issue), the pipe could be hitting the exhaust valve, could be over revving etc.

Spark plug unthreading would be one good, well bad sign that it is actually det right? Any others? Obv. check the play back to see if you are over revving, but if the det light is in fact that bad for it than it could be risky to run it to find out right?

Just getting a better understanding is all. Coming from race chassis and carbs DET lights are new to me...

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
And that my friend is the big reason I dont rely on the det lights.....I hate guages that dont for sure tell you whats going on...

So what do we do? we run 3 psi boost with 100% 116++ octane race fuel in the tank so we know there is no way in heck the motor is detonating and if the light goes on start looking for another something hitting something till you fix it. Its the only for sure test I know works to find the cause of the unknown det going off.

And yes if a plug know to be put in at the correct torque backs out its a very very bad sign of HARD detonation, just imagine your poor piston ....:face-icon-small-sho

Oh and I would highly recomend the slp torque strap they make for the pro chassis...it will stop a huge amount of engine flex....great product for any boosted motor, it is a good very solid brace to the front frame from the lower pto side of the motor.

Last edited:

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Good info.

I actually ordered the slp torque strap the other day in hopes to limit engine flex. Will be going in before my next ride.

Thanks!

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I think the folks running straight AVGAS or race fuel are have much less trouble. I would certainly run at least strait AVGAS until you are close on your setup.

I was running 60% 110 race/ 40% pump premium , 8psi boost, 9000ft elevation when the sled went down. So I guess you wanna be better than that.

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
Are the pro's differant than the dragons? I run 10Psi all the time with straight avgas,500ft to 3500. It also ran good on the dyno at sea level. I have only seen the light come on once, I accidently turned the boost controller up to far and was running 17psi.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Yea, All the ones we installed are straight AVGAS. We are testing Skibreeze's sled on pump gas. We already noticed that at 5-6 pounds it hits DET at 10000 feet. Put straight AV in its no problem.

I imagine alot of the DET problems are caused by the fuel. These things just cant handle much boost on pump gas at any altitude.

Detonation can certainly break off a skirt though. I think in context Justins comment to you meant that if you are a little lean the DET light will prevent you from burning it down. Not enough octane is a different beast. I hit DET once in 250 miles because I was trying something new. I dont think the sleds we installed kits on have ever hit it. It make me wonder when you see vids of guys hitting the DET sensor and staying in the throttle or also when you hear stories of guy who hit it all the time.

Skibreeze has Justins 2011 sled and the DET sensor was tripped something like 1000 times according to digital wrench. That motor is still alive and kicking but Im pretty sure Justin always ran good fuel in it.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
I would replace your stock pistons with Wiescos and see if you can get the crankcase welded. I kicked a rod out of the bottom of a motor and had the cases repaired. That was a 2 inch square hole and it never had a problem for as long as I owned it after that.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
hey tell um the det codes were from the metal hunks flinging about as you had to try and get it back to the trailer to avoid you and your 3 year old son freezing to death 25 miles in the boonies...lmao i'm sure we could loan ya a kid for a day or two need be..... :face-icon-small-win

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Yea, All the ones we installed are straight AVGAS. We are testing Skibreeze's sled on pump gas. We already noticed that at 5-6 pounds it hits DET at 10000 feet. Put straight AV in its no problem.

I imagine alot of the DET problems are caused by the fuel. These things just cant handle much boost on pump gas at any altitude.

Detonation can certainly break off a skirt though. I think in context Justins comment to you meant that if you are a little lean the DET light will prevent you from burning it down. Not enough octane is a different beast. I hit DET once in 250 miles because I was trying something new. I dont think the sleds we installed kits on have ever hit it. It make me wonder when you see vids of guys hitting the DET sensor and staying in the throttle or also when you hear stories of guy who hit it all the time.

Skibreeze has Justins 2011 sled and the DET sensor was tripped something like 1000 times according to digital wrench. That motor is still alive and kicking but Im pretty sure Justin always ran good fuel in it.

So now who gets the steak dinner???

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
So for the tuners, I'll be dialing my bd turbo in this weekend at Cooke. Can you watch for det off the egt's? Are you feeling for it, or just letting it pop off the det sensor?

Y
Mar 9, 2008
claremont mn
Piston damage

My 2011 rmk did the exact same thing on the intake side. The cylinder skirt itself was broken on mine with just a little bit broken off the piston skirt. Mine definitely appeared to be that the cylinder skirt broke first and than took the little piece of the piston. I had another 2011 that broke a ring on the mag side. My opinion is Polaris still has some issues there and that "fix kit" with the longer pistons might be needed for these new motors also. Fwiw

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
So now who gets the steak dinner???

We are going to drain the fuel and make sure we have good gas. the fuel was sitting for 6 months. If we cant run at 7 pounds without DET up here you will get that dinner :face-icon-small-coo

We will get it dialed for pump gas. Once we do ill make sure to post what we find. We spent all our time making them run great at 10-12 pounds.

Last edited:
T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
First thing they will notice is all the DET codes. I know the Skidoo software records the last 30-60 seconds and I'm sure the Poo will as well.
The sled actually didn't through a DET code before it happened. The sled was running 100% fine, shut it off, start it back up and there is metal grinding up. I'm not sure if it was actually throwing a DET when the metal was grinding up.

hey tell um the det codes were from the metal hunks flinging about as you had to try and get it back to the trailer to avoid you and your 3 year old son freezing to death 25 miles in the boonies...lmao i'm sure we could loan ya a kid for a day or two need be..... :face-icon-small-win

I had to run the sled to get it back to the trailer. We had to get up a fairly big hill and tried 7-8 times at a dead pull to get it up. Finally we had to put the belt back on and run it. All 5hp that it was making on 1 cylinder was enough to get us over the top. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get out of the backcountry.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
hate that, remember riding my mod apex for 15 miles out with the entire left front wadded up, just a bad deal all around

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
Been there as well. Apex went down and was way to heavy to be pulled by one sled. So we had to rig up a tow setup with two sleds running side by side but that worked like a pulley so if we had tight trees they could go more single file. It worked great, I thought i was leaving it out there for sure Haha

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
We are going to drain the fuel and make sure we have good gas. the fuel was sitting for 6 months. If we cant run at 7 pounds without DET up here you will get that dinner :face-icon-small-coo

We will get it dialed for pump gas. Once we do ill make sure to post what we find. We spent all our time making them run great at 10-12 pounds.

I'm not looking for dinner, thats just a matter of saying around here.
I just find it odd that so many people want to run these things on straight pump gas, or minimum race/av.
For testing purposes and first time rides, they should have 100% av in the tank, tune the sled to your desired boost, and then ween it off always correcting the the high side of octane. Even at 5-6# and 10k elev you will need a couple gallons of Av just for safety EVERY RIDE.
I don't want to get into the whole fuel issue again, I'm just saying that I see alot of guys on here having problems with det, and when you ask them how much octane they are running they say 50% at 10# or 12#, they've been given BAD advice.

Premium Features