• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Side panel foam removal

J
Mar 31, 2012
Mancos, CO
I've seen a few threads about people doing this to their sleds. The foam on my clutch side has gotten kind of nasty and I was thinking about just taking it off altogether. Any drawbacks of taking it out? Maybe a little more noisy?

L
Mar 1, 2016
Northen Sweden
I have taken out the foam in the hood and the clutch side panel, the only drawback in my opinion is that you hear the clutch a lot more but nothing that you will notice it while driving. In my opinion it is worth taking it of since it gets really wet and heavy when it freezes, and I think the water in the clutch side panel foam could vaporize and possibly get on the clutch leading to belt slip but that's just a theory that could be totally inaccurate.

L
Mar 1, 2016
Northen Sweden
Yeah mine gets wet and seems to hold water. I'm assuming it's put in there by the factory for noise reduction? Can't see any other reason for it.

I pretty sure it's needed to pass noise tests, don't have any other function, i haven't noticed any more vibrations after I removed it but I have new motor mounts so that probably reduces it a bit.

Premium Features