• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SHR 880 Etec Report

A
Feb 12, 2012
washington play grounds
880 questions

Do I have too run a fuel box?
Do I have too run race or av gas or can I run pump gas?
Did it increase, decrease, or stay the same as stock fuel mileage?
Any heating problems with it ? (in hard pack snow or any other conditions)
Can u run stock pipe or does it need to be aftermarket?
I'm really looking to do this kit this summer and getting all the info I can before hand.
Thank you

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Do I have too run a fuel box?
Do I have too run race or av gas or can I run pump gas?
Did it increase, decrease, or stay the same as stock fuel mileage?
Any heating problems with it ? (in hard pack snow or any other conditions)
Can u run stock pipe or does it need to be aftermarket?
I'm really looking to do this kit this summer and getting all the info I can before hand.
Thank you

Anthony,
Please call for specific details...each kit tailored to YOU and your riding style, elevation and fuel...running the fuel box is directly related to these variables and the fact skidoo is leaning out these stockers...each year has slightly diff spec (EPA related) and mainly at trail speeds...WFO isnt a problem...BJ:face-icon-small-coo

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
For those of you considering a BB for your Etec, please consider these following statements;

From day one, this SHR motor has been dialed in to a 44 helix angle from my shockwave and pulls this setting All ....... Day .... Long with fully loaded primary pins.

This is at elevations here in Idaho (~ 9000' & up). Original track was a stock 163 x 2.5. It now has a 162 x 3" and still pulls this helix angle (Stock is 40 degrees).

If you do you research, "other" Etec BB builders sleds with the same 163x2.5 track have had to helix DOWN to 38 helix angle (less than STOCK) on a shockwave with the SAME track !!

You decide which one is the stronger motor :face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-win

Last edited:
N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
BJ

I can speak for his turbo specific 860 etec as well! 7lbs of boost..21 grams of pin weight with 1mm oversize rollers 240/290 primary spring with 48 degree finish in the secondary. It takes big power to hit 8100 with that setup and it still has wicked throttle response and builds boost at crazy low rpm.

It builds ground speed so fast, even in 2 to 3' of fresh, its almost scary to ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilSzPMuw2QI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg3NHY-Hlik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57BIEXDhTEU

I have run all of his big bores available in the ptek and etec and they all do what he advertises. John has the best customer service hands down and shares a deep pashion for the sport.

I get excited for off season builds but I am not sure what more I can do at this point. I guess I will have to shave weight and look at options to couple the suspension.....boring!

Happy summer!

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I can speak for his turbo specific 860 etec as well! 7lbs of boost..21 grams of pin weight with 1mm oversize rollers 240/290 primary spring with 48 degree finish in the secondary. It takes big power to hit 8100 with that setup and it still has wicked throttle response and builds boost at crazy low rpm.

It builds ground speed so fast, even in 2 to 3' of fresh, its almost scary to ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilSzPMuw2QI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg3NHY-Hlik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57BIEXDhTEU

I have run all of his big bores available in the ptek and etec and they all do what he advertises. John has the best customer service hands down and shares a deep pashion for the sport.

I get excited for off season builds but I am not sure what more I can do at this point. I guess I will have to shave weight and look at options to couple the suspension.....boring!

Happy summer!

That 860 Turbo looks like a blast to ride!! Who's turbo are you running with your 860?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
For those of you considering a BB for your Etec, please consider these following statements;

From day one, this SHR motor has been dialed in to a 44 helix angle from my shockwave and pulls this setting All ....... Day .... Long with fully loaded primary pins.

This is at elevations here in Idaho (~ 9000' & up). Original track was a stock 163 x 2.5. It now has a 162 x 3" and still pulls this helix angle (Stock is 40 degrees).

If you do you research, "other" Etec BB builders sleds with the same 163x2.5 track have had to helix DOWN to 38 helix angle (less than STOCK) on a shockwave with the SAME track !!

You decide which one is the stronger motor :face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-win

I cant even ADD to this post...says it ALL...BJ:face-icon-small-coo

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Primary spring 160-320
arms are 39.5 grams up from 34
17 gram solid pins
415-441 ramp
secondary spring 215-305
44 helix
track 163x3.0 flex edge
gearing 21-51
7 tooth drivers
this is what this other guys big bore pulls at 9000 ft and up

Last edited:

revx827

Lifetime Membership
Jun 27, 2009
floatingqrs.com
Primary spring 160-320
arms are 39.5 grams up from 34
17 gram solid pins
415-441 ramp
secondary spring 215-305
44 helix
track 163x3.0 flex edge
gearing 21-51
7 tooth drivers
this is what this other guys big bore pulls at 9000 ft and up

Pump Fuel?

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Interesting - Like i said, doo your research.

Hmmmm..............

Finally finished 3 days of testing this set up and making changes in good snow conditions. Ended up putting a stock primary spring in, the stock threaded doo pins in with an extra 6mm of weight and dialed the shockwave helix all the way in to maintain rpm in steep deep climbs. Pulled really good track speeds but the gearing is too high for the 163 2.5" track. Not as snappy with the tall gearing and helix setting.
This engine pulls really hard once the rpm is maintained where is should be. You can hear the track "sing" compared to the stock 800 in deeper conditions.
I will be putting in 21/51 gearing for the next trip for further testing.
I have been a big fan of the shockwave for years. Now looking at what the base angle really is...the stock 40 degree helix from doo vs the shockwave turned all the way in is supposed to be 38 degrees.

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Fuel is 25% 110 to 75% 91 non ethanol

since 2012 Skidoo has used the 40 helix as they also went
to a 157-221 secondary spring. down from the previous spring
of 231-303 and a helix of 43-47.
Guys want to list pin weight and helix angle but don't list
the primary or secondary springs or ramps that are used to
to achieve there target RPM.
also no mention of gearing to accommodate the 7 tooth drivers.

Gearing on paper: 19-51 with stock 8 tooth 2.86 at a 1-1 clutch ratio
is 64.58 mph. change to a 7 tooth 3.0 driver and leave stock gearing
at 19-51 you have 59.27 mph at 1-1 ratio

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I guess I will elaborate, Slims...

2013 8-10K set up...8000/8100 rpm
stock air box, reeds, ypipe, pipe, HPS can, ?? pump plus 1 gallon of 110 to be safe, no fuel box...
stock primary spring
stock ramps
loaded full stock pins 17.5 grams
click 3 or 4
SW secondary at 3 turns out 44.5 deg (powder) and up to 4 turns out for low/hard snow or drag racing
205/305 spring
with 2.5" he was geared 2.55
with 3" he has 7 tooth and geared 2.42

Shock wave all the way IN is 34 degrees (3.5 degrees per turn)...BJ

Last edited:

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
Anthony,
Please call for specific details...each kit tailored to YOU and your riding style, elevation and fuel...running the fuel box is directly related to these variables and the fact skidoo is leaning out these stockers...each year has slightly diff spec (EPA related) and mainly at trail speeds...WFO isnt a problem...BJ:face-icon-small-coo

I'm curious, is it possible to reflash the ECM, rather than adding a fueling box?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
sorry...NO ECM reflash ever existed (some SOLD a fake one....) adding fuel is a safe, simple and will give you the BEST performance possible on the 2014 and newer 800etec...the 2013 and older have an older/safer computer/fueling so one isnt required...BJ

Last edited:
F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
The ETECS will compensate about 20% fueling so adding a bigger, dual ring piston with a little porting you will get more HP and keep within the tolerances of the computer...

Give it an even bigger piston with GOOD porting and now the motor requires more fuel than the 20% window can provide because you are making a lot more HP.

Premium Features