• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SHR 880 Etec Report

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Sled - 2013 XM "X" 163.
Motor - SHR 880 Etec, Installed at "0" miles life of sled. 10/2013.

Since installing this SHR 880 Etec,the following MOTOR related issues have occurred
........................................................................................
...................................................................................................
...................................................................................................

Yep, you get the idea. Since initial start of this SHR 880 Etec, I have had;
- Zero runability issues,
- Zero tuning needs (other than adding helix angle with my Shockwave :face-icon-small-ton)
- Zero motor adjustments
- Zero big bore motor related faults.
- Zero big bore related problems.

I know this is only after 2 seasons of use, but at 2025 miles, it purrs like a kitten, runs flawlessly, and never lacks for performance. 64 mph uphill track speed w/ 162 x 3 in track. I do not know what else you can ask out of a "mod" motor.

There have been 3 problems with this sled;

• Rev limiter recall from BRP.
  • Burned up a temp sensor. ( I tried to weld with the battery lead lol)
  • Stator bit the dust (BRP)
If you are looking for a "pull and go" big bore Ski-Doo motor, please do yourself a favor and contact Big John @ Sled Head Racing, You WON'T be disappointed.:face-icon-small-coo

TBC ....................................................

MF SHR880.jpg 880.jpg

Last edited:

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Did you do a drop and roll for the 3 inch, also what drivers 7 or 8 tooth, working on template to put T3 chain case in XP/XM to give it that extra clearance up front

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
1. what elevation?

2. i dont want to make speculations, so i will ask what type of snow you were in on your "up hill track speed" test. i ask this because i tested track speed with my stock sled vs by buddy's with a tryg big bore (50% breaking still shown on the dash). we were in average snow on a steep enough hill that you had to turn out of otherwise you were stuck.............and neither of us were anywhere CLOSE to 60 mph. to be honest, his big bore would not even hit 50 mph. like i said, this was average snow on a steep enough hill that you had to turn out before you got stuck at 10-11000 feet in cooke city

3. your speedometer is not correct. you mentioned having a 3'' lug track. that means you installed 7 tooth drivers and your speedo is reading fast. according to roosterbuilt (winterbrew here on the forum), there is an 8% error in speed with 7 tooth drivers.

4. dont take this as a start to a dick swinging match.......i would just like to see all the variables laid out on the table

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
On a t3 174 this past week... Best I seen was 48.5 mph on a climb at 8000 feet...

Same sled with turbo at 6 lbs will do low 60s mph.. My bb in the past were on low 50s with track same track, and upper 50s with a shot of nos..

Your speeds are real strong

F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
I agree, track speed is relative to conditions.......with that being said though, I had the opportunity to see slims sled run against a stock t3 163 and the difference was very noticeable between the two sleds in which one was going higher on the hill. Honestly I was surprised with the difference between the two sleds, I thought the stock t3 would have been closer but the 880 was going much higher on the hill no doubt.

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Did you do a drop and roll for the 3 inch, also what drivers 7 or 8 tooth, working on template to put T3 chain case in XP/XM to give it that extra clearance up front

No drop & roll. 7 tooth, so actual mph probably less, but the point is MUCH improved over stock 163 with 2.5 lugs (48ish),:face-icon-small-coo So I will doo the math, if it is 8% that is around 4.8 mph, So call it 60mph, whatever, it is what it is. It runs with the turbo's, can a stocker ? These runs were in about a foot of new on normal base, 8500' elev. (Wyoming)

I give up, you guys can keyboard race and make all the ****disturbing you want. If you don't want a fair assessment of an exceptional motor builder and accept the excellent results from someone who has been riding mod sleds for 17 years, then let's see your stocker beat my "maybe 64 mph down the trail" sled. What a dumb comment (BluDu) it figures. Enjoy boys, spend your money how you want, I got better things to doo. Just trying to help, but obviously there are others who have a different agenda on here ....................

Last edited:

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
foot of new snow on top of a hard base and 2000 feet lower.....too much difference to compare with my testing. glad you have had good luck with the engine.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I would hope it beats a stocker. 10 mph track speed over stock? That sounds a little more realistic. Beating turbos or even "hanging" with them? You might be able to convince people that haven't been around sleds of that, but that don't fly with me. I'm happy your happy. John puts out a good product. When you bring up all this turbo beating stuff it just sounds silly. I've been around all kinds of mods. The only motor I have ever seen come close to hanging with a turbo are 1150 Cutlers. Those motors are dyno'd at 220 horse. I guess I just don't like when people are misled when I know different. And no I haven't personally seen your sled run, but I have been around a few Doo big bores.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
"Runs w/ turbos" is probably to general of a statement. Having 880 in trailer and a turbo, the 880 w/ suspension and improved track like Slim has done will beat or run w/ many turbos. The other thing is Slims sled will be dialed. Run it against a pump gas turbo or a poorly clutched one, and game over most of the time. Seen plenty of turbo sleds struggle to get 50 mph in powder (poor setup), 880 does it easily. So many turbo sleds out there w/ owners that do not have a clue how to get them performing--look at the amount of turbo kits in the classifieds. Pulled 85 uphill riding double w/ the wife on my turbo the other day, 880 will not do that:face-icon-small-hap. Hard snow but still fun, sled was to loud to hear her scream.

Put twin pipes on 880 last night, looking at pistons when putting on exhaust flanges, absolutely perfect. I was a little concerned when some other big bores w/ less cc's, seem to have some cold seize and scoring issues w/ its bore piston choice. BJ has this bore and piston matched perfectly.

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
The key to any sled is clutching and gearing and all around setup of chassis,
doesn't mater if it is stock, big bore or turbo, I will say I run a 872, didn't reload breakin just bumped oil pump 1#, mixed 4 oz's oil per 5 gal of premium+ fuel, gave it about 100 miles of on and off breakin and letter rip after that, never once had a piston cylinder problem as you speak of with what you call a smaller big bore.
The funny thing about this post and a few others is that if you go back one month from this post 2/20/15 to now 3-20-15 and read both posts that slim put on here, the sled has a stock 163x2.5 track and pulling 64 mph track speed. now a 162x3 and pulling 64 mph track speed.
The other post would be {first pull of SHR880}

Not stirring the pot, the story is just not consistent.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
The key to any sled is clutching and gearing and all around setup of chassis,
doesn't mater if it is stock, big bore or turbo, I will say I run a 872, didn't reload breakin just bumped oil pump 1#, mixed 4 oz's oil per 5 gal of premium+ fuel, gave it about 100 miles of on and off breakin and letter rip after that, never once had a piston cylinder problem as you speak of with what you call a smaller big bore.
The funny thing about this post and a few others is that if you go back one month from this post 2/20/15 to now 3-20-15 and read both posts that slim put on here, the sled has a stock 163x2.5 track and pulling 64 mph track speed. now a 162x3 and pulling 64 mph track speed.
The other post would be {first pull of SHR880}

Not stirring the pot, the story is just not consistent.

I suspect SLIM might just have made an error on the track size. I was out with him first week of February and indeed he did have a 3" tack.

Moving on to the point.

Point is he has over 2000 mountain miles on his 880 with NO big bore related issues. Is dialed in with help from a builder who rides and tunes in the mountains as well. Is VERY satisfied with his motor and the customer service he has been given and is a returning customer.

I know in my life, regardless of the product or service I am paying for:

QUALITY BREEDS LOYALTY.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
never once had a piston cylinder problem as you speak of with what you call a smaller big bore.
[/QUOTE

I'll admit, that was kind of a cheap shot on my part. BJ takes quite a few for making a 880 even though it works, so I'd thought I'd get one out there. All in good fun though. My buds 872 is a ripper but setup really is what makes or breaks any sled.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Out with a stock t3 174 this past week, only difference was he had a upgraded skid from racers edge and 8 tooth drivers.. He stated he's been out with lots of other stockers and it runs close to 20 percent better than any of the others, and this is stated by the other riders as well to back him up..

That machine dialed in perfectly with proper skid holding trAck to snow went up stuff that not many others could, not saying he had as much power as the other turbo sleds or track speed.. But with the right setup and a great rider it was a true challenge for myself to climb stuff with a impulse turbo making 5 lbs boost but...on stock skid and stock drivers to stay in front of.. That impressive!!

Now comming back to bj 880, could be the same thing, a very well tuned ripunnung sled with a great rider to show off its assists :present::present:

http://youtu.be/BMRiOHtyfec

lancelarue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez, Alaska
Getting it to the snow

Great series of posts here. In the final analysis, it all reminds me of years ago when guys were running/ testing with track dynos. Doesn't matter what you're putting out upstairs, if it doesn't get to the snow, it's just more noise!!!!
Just that little area between the crank and the drive shaft, + driver size/ tunnel clearance/ approach angles etc.
Good reading!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
No drop & roll. 7 tooth, so actual mph probably less, but the point is MUCH improved over stock 163 with 2.5 lugs (48ish),:face-icon-small-coo So I will doo the math, if it is 8% that is around 4.8 mph, So call it 60mph, whatever, it is what it is. It runs with the turbo's, can a stocker ? These runs were in about a foot of new on normal base, 8500' elev. (Wyoming)

I give up, you guys can keyboard race and make all the ****disturbing you want. If you don't want a fair assessment of an exceptional motor builder and accept the excellent results from someone who has been riding mod sleds for 17 years, then let's see your stocker beat my "maybe 64 mph down the trail" sled. What a dumb comment (BluDu) it figures. Enjoy boys, spend your money how you want, I got better things to doo. Just trying to help, but obviously there are others who have a different agenda on here ....................

with all do respect slim I am not buying 64 mph track speed in deep powder on a steep hill. when you say track speed there are so many different varibles, snow depth wetness, steep ness, are you measuring the track speed at the bottom of the hill? also you don't have to tell me who makes the best big bore because I am with you on that one. :eyebrows:

Premium Features