• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shock Rebuild

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
My son returned from Togwotee yesterday, and we noticed that the tunnel was sitting very low by comparison, and it appears the rear track shock holds no pressure and needs to be rebuilt. Who do you guys recommend for rebuilding?

N
Jul 23, 2008
I reached out to Andy via phone and email earlier this week and haven't heard back. On a break for holidays maybe? Or do you guys just ship stuff his way without confirming anything prior?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I'll usually confirm with him via email or phone call. He goes silent sometimes but it's just because he's swamped.

And yes that's for a reason, he's awesome. I'll only send my stuff to him.

To the OP: you talking air shock that's sagging too much? Because if it's a coil, the spring hold up the shock. Yeah there's a gas charge but just sagging too much might be something else.

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
I'll usually confirm with him via email or phone call. He goes silent sometimes but it's just because he's swamped.

And yes that's for a reason, he's awesome. I'll only send my stuff to him.

To the OP: you talking air shock that's sagging too much? Because if it's a coil, the spring hold up the shock. Yeah there's a gas charge but just sagging too much might be something else.
Its the rear track shock, air only no coil. Its sagging to the point if I lift up the rear to full height it won't hold it up. I just assumed the shock needed to be serviced. Sled has 1600ish miles and to my knowledge never been serviced. I've got a couple months until my next trip so wanted to get it done now.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Its the rear track shock, air only no coil. Its sagging to the point if I lift up the rear to full height it won't hold it up. I just assumed the shock needed to be serviced. Sled has 1600ish miles and to my knowledge never been serviced. I've got a couple months until my next trip so wanted to get it done now.

It won't stay up when you put air in it?

If not, you may have to reset the negative air chamber.

Try this:

1. let all the air out of the main chamber and cycle the shock

2. Put air in (not full pressure, about 1/3)

3. Cycle the shock. This sets the negative chamber

4. More air (2/3 full pressure) and cycle it again

5. Full pressure, cycle again

That should reset the negative chamber gradually. Sometimes that's all it takes, sometimes the fact that it leaked air into the neg chamber is a sign of needing a rebuild (seals).

1600 miles is probably good for a rebuild just for the damper oil but you can try the above to at least see what's going on. Even new air shocks will leak into the negative air chamber sometimes.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
There is no negative air chamber on these shocks to reset. If the air sleeve is dirty and gummed up inside it can hold pressure between the main air seal and the wiper seal and counteract itself. The wiper seal should be able "breathe" when it cycles. If that is what is happening it needs some service.

FYI if you are compressing the rear in the shop with wheels under the track or the front skis it won't return properly.

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
There is no negative air chamber on these shocks to reset. If the air sleeve is dirty and gummed up inside it can hold pressure between the main air seal and the wiper seal and counteract itself. The wiper seal should be able "breathe" when it cycles. If that is what is happening it needs some service.

FYI if you are compressing the rear in the shop with wheels under the track or the front skis it won't return properly.

Hmmm, well that's exactly what I was doing! I couldn't figure out why. After I had in my garage I rode down to my shop, and the shock was fully extended. Then I put it up on wheels, came back and jacked with it, and it wouldn't stay extended. I already pulled off though, won't hurt to service them anyway.

So why does it behave that way on wheels?

FYI, I went with Carver Performance in Fosston, MN. Pretty close to me and picked up the phone right away.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
When the front is raised or there's a wheel under the rear it's taking the load off the front track shock and placing all of it on the rear track shock. I get my shock parts and tools through Carver as well.

Premium Features