• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shafted at Paulson's in Lacey. Take your Gonnason's snowchecks ELSEWHERE.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Stayton, Oregon
Buddy and I go to the snow show....Ski-Doo dealer offers my buddy a leftover XP for $8695 out the door. We'll think about it, we say....

We leave the snow show and stop at another dealer on the way home to pick up some parts. My buddy is sitting on another XP and is approached by a salesman. Buddy tells salesman about the snow show offer and the salesman agrees to match it. He writes the agreed to price on one of his cards. We'll think about it, we say.......

Buddy decides that he wants sled.....I agree to help him through the process, as he hasn't bought a new ANYTHING in 30 years. He is going to pay cash.

Two days later, we call the salesman and agree to the 08 XP 154 (with all updates) for $8695 out the door. Salesman takes $500 deposit on credit card and says he'll call when the update is done.

Salesman calls and says that the sled is ready. Buddy informs salesman of his promotion choices.

Off we go to pick up the sled. I leave buddy to do paperwork and head over to the parts counter to get some stuff for my sleds. I return just as the paperwork is being finished, and ask buddy if he made sure that they got his promotional choices correct. Lady doing paperwork says that she just spent 10 minutes finding out about the warranty, and it's 1 year B to B, and 2 extra years of engine coverage. I explain that the promotional material I remember said 3 years free B to B on all eligible Summit models. Nope, says the lady, I must have been mistaken.

Once home, I went onto BRP's website and looked up the promo.....

Choose and TWO of the following options:

1) 3 year B to B warranty on summit.

2) Special financing......(not needed- paid cash)

3) $200 in accessories.

ALSO on the site is ANOTHER promo where you get a $250 gas card if you buy before November 9, 2008.

I call dealer the next morning and explain my concerns......Salesman says that in order to match the other dealer's price, they had to take the 3 year B to B warranty. What about the $200? (Salesman doesn't seem to understand that buyers get to choose TWO items, I had to explain it to him) Salesman says that they took the $200 as well.

THEN I throw out the $250 gas card. (Salesman doesn't seem to know about it). Salesman says that they took THIS TOO.

I don't know what the $$ difference between 2 year engine only coverage and the 3 year B to B is, but the $200 in accessories and the $250 gas card bring the total price of the 08 XP to $9145 PLUS the value difference of the 3 year b to b. An 09 XP 154 is 10,299 MSRP.

I explain that when we struck the deal, (OR DURING THE TRANSACTION) it was NEVER mentioned that the promotions would be taken away......Salesman says "you didn't ask". (You have to ASK if your warranty is going to be cut by 2/3??) He claims that they GAVE us an extra 2 years engine only warranty, and that that makes it an EXTRA GOOD DEAL. Salesman tells me that it's the engine I need to worry about anyway.......LOL

Even better is the fact that the two identical items that I ordered and paid for at the parts counter were a whopping 38% OVER Ski Doo's retail price.

Since I wasn't getting anywhere with the salesman, I asked to be transferred to the parts counter. I explain that I was charged more than msrp for my parts. I also explain that the dealers OWN WEBSITE lists these parts for $39.99 (which ironically is Ski Doo MSRP). Parts guy says that that's the MAIL ORDER PRICE and that the in-store price is more due to the fact that someone (in the parts department) is involved. WTF?? He finally agreed to credit my Visa for the difference, but warned that it was only for "this time".

I understand that the dealer needs to make a living....My family ran a similar business for 35 years. 38% mark-up OVER MSRP???

Here is the Bill of Sale. Scan0018.jpg

What I didn't notice is the tiny words that say "Selling price reflects all manufacturers promotions. Lojak is non refundable". Does this include the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty??

What I also fail to notice is any money deducted from the price of the sled at the top of the page. IE: It isn't documented anywhere on the bill exactly what the value of "all manufactures promotions" really is.

Grant had explained to the salesman what his promotion choices were.

He also explained it to the lady who was doing the paperwork, just to be sure he got his b to b warranty. She argued that she had just spent 10 minutes looking it up and the promotion was 1 year b to b, and 2 extra years of engine only. That is what she wrote on the warranty registration.

AT NO TIME did ANYONE explain that they had taken ALL of Grant's promotional items until I called them the next day. They now claim that they GAVE Grant an extra 2 year engine only warranty as if he should lick their feet.

Why didn't the lady tell him that they had taken his promos and that they had generously given him the 2 year engine only warranty??

Maybe because we would have left without taking delivery of the sled??

12 months of B.E.S.T warranty is $940

Add the $200 in free accessories.

Add the $250 gas card.

Add the price that was agreed to WITHOUT any knowledge of the loss of the promos: $8697.99

$10,087.99 for a 2008 XP 154 Everest.

Oooops, let's not forget the 2 year engine only warranty that Grant was so graciously "given". Let's figure $400

$9687.99

Grant could've bought a 2009 and STILL got his promotions for a few $$ more.

Will those tiny words make this legal?? Maybe..........

Will we ever step foot in Paulson's dealership again?? NOPE.

Will I encourage everyone who had a SnowCheck sled at Gonnason's to take their delivery at Lynwood, I-90, Steel Dreams, or ANYWHERE but Paulson's??

YOU BET.

I usually get that treatment at I-90. Lately, they have been better to me though. Although, I tried THREE times to spend my hard-earned money there and they didn't want it. So I purchased my first sled at Gonnason's in 04. Then traded it in at Gonnasons, since I-90 "wasn't taking trades" in April. I got my 08XP there. Then, I tried to spend more money at I-90, (a new 06 Honda Interceptor), There out-the-door price was $9799. No thanks. I ended up getting it at Ride Motorsports, brand new with 0 miles, for $8255. When I trade my 08XP for the 2011 Skidoo 1000, it won't be at Paulson's OR I-90.

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
I usually get that treatment at I-90. Lately, they have been better to me though. Although, I tried THREE times to spend my hard-earned money there and they didn't want it. So I purchased my first sled at Gonnason's in 04. Then traded it in at Gonnasons, since I-90 "wasn't taking trades" in April. I got my 08XP there. Then, I tried to spend more money at I-90, (a new 06 Honda Interceptor), There out-the-door price was $9799. No thanks. I ended up getting it at Ride Motorsports, brand new with 0 miles, for $8255. When I trade my 08XP for the 2011 Skidoo 1000, it won't be at Paulson's OR I-90.

I was also "Cheated" out of about $200 of manufacture deals when I bought my wife's sled from I-90. They said since they dropped the price so much on a one year hold over they could not honor all the "Choises" I had available to me at the time we bought it.
I was pretty pissed but since they had the only available '07 600 sdi west of Spokane I ended up buying it anyway.

BTW Ride motorsports and I-90 are owned by the same folks.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Stayton, Oregon
I was also "Cheated" out of about $200 of manufacture deals when I bought my wife's sled from I-90. They said since they dropped the price so much on a one year hold over they could not honor all the "Choises" I had available to me at the time we bought it.
I was pretty pissed but since they had the only available '07 600 sdi west of Spokane I ended up buying it anyway.

BTW Ride motorsports and I-90 are owned by the same folks.

WOW.... So I guess losing a decent dealer like Gonnason's is going to affect a lot of loyal SkiDoo customers.....ARE there any more decent dealers out there??

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
Not familiar with the dealership so I am not going to defend their actions. I do know that the general consumer is not aware of how much the factory promotions cost the dealerships. A $200 accessory credit often only equals $100 rebate from the manufacturer and the dealer swallows the rest.

If your buddy did not say that the show price they were willing to match included the extra's, your done. I would be willing to bet the show price did not include it either.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Stayton, Oregon
Not familiar with the dealership so I am not going to defend their actions. I do know that the general consumer is not aware of how much the factory promotions cost the dealerships. A $200 accessory credit often only equals $100 rebate from the manufacturer and the dealer swallows the rest.

If your buddy did not say that the show price they were willing to match included the extra's, your done. I would be willing to bet the show price did not include it either.

I completely understand what you're saying.

Perhaps if they had mentioned it when my buddy informed them of his promotion choices or when the lady doing the paperwork insisted that the promotion was 1 year B to B and 2 year engine only, the deal wouldn't have looked as good. Why not be upfront??

If you're buying a sled, and you inform the dealer what your promotion choices are, wouldn't THAT be a good time to inform you that there ARE no promotional choices at the agreed upon price?? How can the paperwork lady tell you that the promotion is X if there ARE NO PROMOTIONS AT THE AGREED UPON PRICE??

R
I completely understand what you're saying.

Perhaps if they had mentioned it when my buddy informed them of his promotion choices or when the lady doing the paperwork insisted that the promotion was 1 year B to B and 2 year engine only, the deal wouldn't have looked as good. Why not be upfront??

If you're buying a sled, and you inform the dealer what your promotion choices are, wouldn't THAT be a good time to inform you that there ARE no promotional choices at the agreed upon price?? How can the paperwork lady tell you that the promotion is X if there ARE NO PROMOTIONS AT THE AGREED UPON PRICE??

Seems like a reasonable time to bring up the specifics on the sale ... SHADY!

F
Oct 5, 2008
Seattle Eastside
I absolutely hate crap like that...glad that people post experiences like that, so that hopefully others don't have to go through the same shady shaft...

and, when the offenses are real and deliberate...hopefully it helps good businesses succeed with more new customers, and drives bad ones to change practices or go under...

F
Oct 5, 2008
Seattle Eastside
WOW.... So I guess losing a decent dealer like Gonnason's is going to affect a lot of loyal SkiDoo customers.....ARE there any more decent dealers out there??

Oh, and JJ...I might have some really, really helpful information for you and your buddy....had to deal with a company who tried to charge me extra for something they had an advertisement on...

I have some very useful Federal Trade Commission information on deceptive advertising and practices, that after confronting said business with and told them I'd be filing a claim with the FTC and BBB to honor what was already promised and advertised...they suddenly changed their tune, honored it and made it right. funny how that works sometimes.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Stayton, Oregon
Oh, and JJ...I might have some really, really helpful information for you and your buddy....had to deal with a company who tried to charge me extra for something they had an advertisement on...

I have some very useful Federal Trade Commission information on deceptive advertising and practices, that after confronting said business with and told them I'd be filing a claim with the FTC and BBB to honor what was already promised and advertised...they suddenly changed their tune, honored it and made it right. funny how that works sometimes.

Thanks.....PM me with some info.

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
It's been years since I had any dealings with I-90, Many years. Back then, they always treated my family and I well.

Its sad to hear of any dealer behaving like that. I totally understand if they are not able to meet a competitors price. I have found i'd rather pay a few extra bucks to a sales facility that was honest, upfront, and focused on customer service.

I live near Smokey Pt. Cycle Barn, and while the staff behind the counter is friendly and helpful, they don't stock anything (even the common stuff), and on 3 separate items last year, they wanted to charge between 23%-41% more than Waldron's, who had it on the shelf. Jeff has earned my business, even if I have to have him mail it to me.

That situation where your friend was actually making his selections with the paperwork person, and she didn't tell him, that is disgraceful, and deceitful. That's not an honest mistake. I'm very sorry to hear your friend had that experience, anywhere. But, thank you for sharing.

The sad thing is that if you prevail in your efforts to get him what was advertised, (I think you should pursue this, and I hope your friend gets what was advertised) but they are forced to do so, doesn't change the dealer's attitude, and they'll do it again if given the chance to someone else.

Last edited:
S

snowbie

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
I bought my 700 RMK at Paulson's. I paid about $1500 less than my buddy who bought a 600RMK at Enumclaw. The owner at Enumclaw said it was impossible that I got that price, and I was lying. When I asked Paulson's why their price was so much lower, they said that they take all the manufacturer's promo money (rebates, etc) and apply it to the price of the sleds. This was explained to me before the sale and I'm sure if they would have done the same for you it would have been a better situation. It might be different for Ski-doo, but for my particular Polaris, that was the best price I could get over the phone in the state.

I personally think all the little promotions are a bunch of crap, I would just rather have a lower bottom line and do less math at the dealership. In my mind, a longer warranty isn't worth the extra up front cost for me. As long as you get the bugs worked out it the first year you usually end up with a fairly problem free sled.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Originally Posted by WFO or go home

Here's an idea , if the manufacturer offers a $100 rebate , how about they ( dealer ) offer it as a ( sit down now ) , a $100 accessory credit ! Then they don't get in these predicaments.

BTW , Enumclaw is no better. Got screwed in '96 on a sled there and have purchased 15 since then , and not a one from them.

N
Nov 28, 2007
I bought my 700 RMK at Paulson's. I paid about $1500 less than my buddy who bought a 600RMK at Enumclaw. The owner at Enumclaw said it was impossible that I got that price, and I was lying. When I asked Paulson's why their price was so much lower, they said that they take all the manufacturer's promo money (rebates, etc) and apply it to the price of the sleds. This was explained to me before the sale and I'm sure if they would have done the same for you it would have been a better situation. It might be different for Ski-doo, but for my particular Polaris, that was the best price I could get over the phone in the state.

I personally think all the little promotions are a bunch of crap, I would just rather have a lower bottom line and do less math at the dealership. In my mind, a longer warranty isn't worth the extra up front cost for me. As long as you get the bugs worked out it the first year you usually end up with a fairly problem free sled.

I don't see how the extra warranty is not worth the money. I bought the polaris extended warranty (4 years) for $800. About 3 months after the standard warranty went out my pull cord malfunctioned and everything got chewed up inside the case, warped my crank. It would have cost me $3500 if i paid out of pocket. But the warranty picked everything up. So my $800 has already made me 2,700 bucks.

B
Nov 12, 2008
Buddy and I go to the snow show....Ski-Doo dealer offers my buddy a leftover XP for $8695 out the door. We'll think about it, we say....

We leave the snow show and stop at another dealer on the way home to pick up some parts. My buddy is sitting on another XP and is approached by a salesman. Buddy tells salesman about the snow show offer and the salesman agrees to match it. He writes the agreed to price on one of his cards. We'll think about it, we say.......

Buddy decides that he wants sled.....I agree to help him through the process, as he hasn't bought a new ANYTHING in 30 years. He is going to pay cash.

Two days later, we call the salesman and agree to the 08 XP 154 (with all updates) for $8695 out the door. Salesman takes $500 deposit on credit card and says he'll call when the update is done.

Salesman calls and says that the sled is ready. Buddy informs salesman of his promotion choices.

Off we go to pick up the sled. I leave buddy to do paperwork and head over to the parts counter to get some stuff for my sleds. I return just as the paperwork is being finished, and ask buddy if he made sure that they got his promotional choices correct. Lady doing paperwork says that she just spent 10 minutes finding out about the warranty, and it's 1 year B to B, and 2 extra years of engine coverage. I explain that the promotional material I remember said 3 years free B to B on all eligible Summit models. Nope, says the lady, I must have been mistaken.

Once home, I went onto BRP's website and looked up the promo.....

Choose and TWO of the following options:

1) 3 year B to B warranty on summit.

2) Special financing......(not needed- paid cash)

3) $200 in accessories.

ALSO on the site is ANOTHER promo where you get a $250 gas card if you buy before November 9, 2008.

I call dealer the next morning and explain my concerns......Salesman says that in order to match the other dealer's price, they had to take the 3 year B to B warranty. What about the $200? (Salesman doesn't seem to understand that buyers get to choose TWO items, I had to explain it to him) Salesman says that they took the $200 as well.

THEN I throw out the $250 gas card. (Salesman doesn't seem to know about it). Salesman says that they took THIS TOO.

I don't know what the $$ difference between 2 year engine only coverage and the 3 year B to B is, but the $200 in accessories and the $250 gas card bring the total price of the 08 XP to $9145 PLUS the value difference of the 3 year b to b. An 09 XP 154 is 10,299 MSRP.

I explain that when we struck the deal, (OR DURING THE TRANSACTION) it was NEVER mentioned that the promotions would be taken away......Salesman says "you didn't ask". (You have to ASK if your warranty is going to be cut by 2/3??) He claims that they GAVE us an extra 2 years engine only warranty, and that that makes it an EXTRA GOOD DEAL. Salesman tells me that it's the engine I need to worry about anyway.......LOL

Even better is the fact that the two identical items that I ordered and paid for at the parts counter were a whopping 38% OVER Ski Doo's retail price.

Since I wasn't getting anywhere with the salesman, I asked to be transferred to the parts counter. I explain that I was charged more than msrp for my parts. I also explain that the dealers OWN WEBSITE lists these parts for $39.99 (which ironically is Ski Doo MSRP). Parts guy says that that's the MAIL ORDER PRICE and that the in-store price is more due to the fact that someone (in the parts department) is involved. WTF?? He finally agreed to credit my Visa for the difference, but warned that it was only for "this time".

I understand that the dealer needs to make a living....My family ran a similar business for 35 years. 38% mark-up OVER MSRP???

Here is the Bill of Sale. View attachment 36689

What I didn't notice is the tiny words that say "Selling price reflects all manufacturers promotions. Lojak is non refundable". Does this include the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty??

What I also fail to notice is any money deducted from the price of the sled at the top of the page. IE: It isn't documented anywhere on the bill exactly what the value of "all manufactures promotions" really is.

Grant had explained to the salesman what his promotion choices were.

He also explained it to the lady who was doing the paperwork, just to be sure he got his b to b warranty. She argued that she had just spent 10 minutes looking it up and the promotion was 1 year b to b, and 2 extra years of engine only. That is what she wrote on the warranty registration.

AT NO TIME did ANYONE explain that they had taken ALL of Grant's promotional items until I called them the next day. They now claim that they GAVE Grant an extra 2 year engine only warranty as if he should lick their feet.

Why didn't the lady tell him that they had taken his promos and that they had generously given him the 2 year engine only warranty??

Maybe because we would have left without taking delivery of the sled??

12 months of B.E.S.T warranty is $940

Add the $200 in free accessories.

Add the $250 gas card.

Add the price that was agreed to WITHOUT any knowledge of the loss of the promos: $8697.99

$10,087.99 for a 2008 XP 154 Everest.

Oooops, let's not forget the 2 year engine only warranty that Grant was so graciously "given". Let's figure $400

$9687.99

Grant could've bought a 2009 and STILL got his promotions for a few $$ more.

Will those tiny words make this legal?? Maybe..........

Will we ever step foot in Paulson's dealership again?? NOPE.

Will I encourage everyone who had a SnowCheck sled at Gonnason's to take their delivery at Lynwood, I-90, Steel Dreams, or ANYWHERE but Paulson's??

YOU BET.
Alright I used to work at a dealership that sold sleds. Im not defending the actions of anyone, but I want to say the dealerships make next to no $ on the sleds they sell you. There is a whole lot of cost involved in keeping a business open. And right now nobody is making any money. As far as the promotions are concerned, the statement at the bottom of your bill of sale covers their *** on everything including the extended warranty! Once signed, your done. Not trying to piss you off, but you guys should have been more thorough before you signed. If you want free money go stand on the corner and beg.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
gotta b firm with dealers or they will screw you.i learned the hard way.now the first thing i say is..i want this certain promo or shove the sled up your azz.

Premium Features