• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Setting up 2010 YZ450 for Snow bike

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I'm gonna check my track roll out, on the trail in 5th tapped out didnt seem like I was going fast at all,, in the trees second seemed okay, climbing in the deeper steeper stuff 3rd was hard to pull not enough track speed It seemed.. Had a blast on this thing regardless rode it 3 days in Revvy snow wasn the greatest foot to a foot an half seemed perfect for bike as all my sled buddies were all struggling in the low snow.. Trail was fun to once I eased up on my grip an let ski do its thing an use the side keels an lean more in corners.. I'm totally hooked now doubt ill be riding sled much this winter maybe I"ll change my tune in deeper snow conditions? Need a softer seat, small bar riser an rad braces , maybe NOS an good to go again :)

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
I'm gonna check my track roll out, on the trail in 5th tapped out didnt seem like I was going fast at all,, in the trees second seemed okay, climbing in the deeper steeper stuff 3rd was hard to pull not enough track speed It seemed.. Had a blast on this thing regardless rode it 3 days in Revvy snow wasn the greatest foot to a foot an half seemed perfect for bike as all my sled buddies were all struggling in the low snow.. Trail was fun to once I eased up on my grip an let ski do its thing an use the side keels an lean more in corners.. I'm totally hooked now doubt ill be riding sled much this winter maybe I"ll change my tune in deeper snow conditions? Need a softer seat, small bar riser an rad braces , maybe NOS an good to go again :)

I hit 58mph bouncing off the limiter according to my gps. lol. Rad braces are a must. I've been using the polisport led headlight, and found it wasn't any near bright enough in twilight conditions so I ordered a 40w LED light bar. I have the Baja designs YZ headlight harness to use. I'll post pic's when I get it mounted.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I hit 58mph bouncing off the limiter according to my gps. lol. Rad braces are a must. I've been using the polisport led headlight, and found it wasn't any near bright enough in twilight conditions so I ordered a 40w LED light bar. I have the Baja designs YZ headlight harness to use. I'll post pic's when I get it mounted.

Jacob did you do any gearing changes? My cyclops 610 led light is awesome an the ame heated worked great as well.. Need to dump my oil an see if theres any fuel in it

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
The 69-link stock chain that came with the kit is super tight even with a 13-tooth countershaft sprocket, so I found a brand new 78-link chain on ebay for $15 that I'll break to the length I want. My 2012 kit seems to have plenty of clearance between the track and chain (unlike the pics I've seen of the newer kits), so I should be able to cut the new chain to have 1 or 2 extra links over stock and still be able to tighten it properly with the tensioner. Right now the tensioner is all the way backed off and I can barely get the master link on using needle-nose pliers.

Gearing up with the WR's wide-ratio transmission might not be the greatest idea, but we'll see what happens. It might work a lot better on a YZ.

I'm obviously not as smart as I thought I was. LOL. It's surprising how much slack is created with only a little extra chain. So I guess I'll start looking into the half-link option. If I remember right, Tsubaki makes one that should work. If that doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world if I just have to go back to the 13-tooth sprocket and stock chain.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Guys, what.... the trail on how to make a YZ450 ends here? No... I was so engrossed in reading your updates that I am left wanting more. :face-icon-small-con

I am still trying to pin down exactly what bike to use for my snowbike kit. Frankly, I am all over the map. I was focused on a street legal bike (there's a 07 CRF450X with a street legal kit on it) I was looking at for the mid 4K range. Then I saw two white and red 2011 Yamaha YZ450Fs for sale in my local area at roughly the same price (under 5k). It was like a light came on and I though...doh... I could get a fuel injected bike for the same price and have the fuel injection power to run a headlight and hot grips.

So, now I have a few questions for you after reading your posts.

I see you guys are playing with gearing so you don't put a piston through the gas tank on the way back to the truck. Would I be better off focusing on a WR450 for the higher gearing and it would already have a headlight?

Both bikes look great. Can I ask the dealers (both used bikes are at dealerships) to tell me how many hours are on each respective bike by using their hand held computer?

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
I see you guys are playing with gearing so you don't put a piston through the gas tank on the way back to the truck. Would I be better off focusing on a WR450 for the higher gearing and it would already have a headlight?

They may be tapped out on the trail, but in the deep and steep, the close ratio trans in the YZ is the way to go. I love my yzf on my kit! I never get cold hands with just my gloves, and I have some handlebar "muffs", so heated grips aren't important to me. I'm changing it up on the gearing and headlight side of things, so I'll post my findings soon.

Both bikes look great. Can I ask the dealers (both used bikes are at dealerships) to tell me how many hours are on each respective bike by using their hand held computer?

There is an option to reset the hours with the tuner, so as long as the previous owner or shop hasn't reset it, it should give you an idea.

Last edited:

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Guys, what.... the trail on how to make a YZ450 ends here? No... I was so engrossed in reading your updates that I am left wanting more. :face-icon-small-con

I am still trying to pin down exactly what bike to use for my snowbike kit. Frankly, I am all over the map. I was focused on a street legal bike (there's a 07 CRF450X with a street legal kit on it) I was looking at for the mid 4K range. Then I saw two white and red 2011 Yamaha YZ450Fs for sale in my local area at roughly the same price (under 5k). It was like a light came on and I though...doh... I could get a fuel injected bike for the same price and have the fuel injection power to run a headlight and hot grips.

So, now I have a few questions for you after reading your posts.

Im abit partial to the yammis the motors if maintained can run hundreds of hours with just minor valve adjustments, i raced a yz450 for many years no issues and had a boosted nytro an was bullet proof gas an go ton of miles.. That being said i race a ktm 350 now and the e start is the sheit but i knew it doesnt have the bottom grunt like a 450 and I would want that on a snowbike didnt want to spend the big $$ on a new KTM 450 to try this snow biking out, so i looked for a low hour yz450 found one with 6 hrs on it like new for under 5.. After my first trip im hooked dont even wanna ride my sled, more power would be nice looking at some big bore kits and boost maybe for next season.. Its a blast to ride which ever bike you go with

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thank you! Yes, please keep this one going. Some of us are learning a lot from your experiences.

I have always had good luck with Yamahas build quality and longevity but, maybe I should I be focusing my sights on an orange bike like most say on here?

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
I'm still new to snowbikes, but I'm not new to dirtbikes. I've seen the inside of 3 honda's, and 2 kawis because of major failures. I've only ever seen the inside of a yamaha because I was curious. I tore down my 2006 yz450f that had 305 hours, because I figured it was time to check the valves ha ha ha, and replace the piston and cam chain. ( cam chain is supposed to be replaced every 40 hrs. lol) The cylinder still had the factory hone and looked great. I shimmed my valves slightly, and threw in a new piston and rings because I already had it torn apart. I also put a new clutch basket in that bike too, but other than that I've never seen the inside of another yamaha, and I've owned 6 of them. The yammies are freaking bulletproof IMO. One thing I always do on the yamaha's is re-routing the crankcase vent hose. ( I have a thread on thumpertalk about how to do it http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/872501-2010-yz450f-breather-reroute/?hl= breather 2010 yz450f .) because of dust ingestion into the head. I don't know if the powdery snow would do the same thing, but I know it's a great summertime mod.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have a little history with Yamaha products as well.

I rode a Snowjet with a 433 Yamaha motor. I had a 85 Bravo, an 87 Exciter, a 89 Ovation, a 97 Mountain Max, a 98 Mountain Max, a 98 Mountain SRX, a 99 Phazer 500 (still have it), a 03 RX-1M and that's where the story ends for Yamaha sleds. I don't feel like I left Yamaha, I feel like they me (at least in the formidable mountain sled arena).

So yes, I have had a lot of experience with Yamaha and all of it has been good except the Exciter (my own damn fault). I even opened up the RX-1 motor and slotted the ignition timing a bit (yikes) but, it worked. So I may be riding a Cat at this point in time but, that is because I was looking for a two stroke with Yamaha like reliability.

So, I would feel like I was going back to my roots if I was able to ride a lightweight Yamaha Mountain sled (I mean bike) :face-icon-small-ton

Now, you're sure I should buy a YZ450 and not a WR450? Why?

Last edited:
J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
I had the polisport LED headlight on my bike last year and I knew I wanted something brighter for this season. Instead of spending $300+ for a convenient pre made light bar kit, I made my own for under $100.

L.E.D. light bar (make sure to get the spot beam) http://www.ebay.com/itm/8INCH-40W-C...Parts_Accessories&hash=item232ee1d7c4&vxp=mtr

Tusk ON/OFF switch http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/956/25858/Tusk-Universal-On-Off-Switch?term=switch

Then just a couple of misc parts I had laying around.

5mm longer clamp bolts w/ washers.

Small rubber hose

Silicone

Basic wiring parts (and knowledge)

I started by tapping into the stock YZ450F tuner port power supply with the right size pin. (this was over a year ago so I can't remember the pin size. sorry!)

I then routed a ground wire using the frame ground.

I then ran the power wire straight to the power supply of the headlight, and the ground through the switch, so If i have a switch fail I can connect the ground and still have a light. (It would be on all the time, but if your riding at night and need it, that's not a problem.)

I then made the mounting bracket out of some old sheet metal I found in my resource pile. I made a cutout for the throttle cables and light bar wiring to move smoothly through without catching, and siliconed the rubber hose into place around it so it didn't have any sharp edges for stuff to catch on.

I used my 5mm longer clamp bolts with a washer used as a spacer against the mount, (so it mounted level and even) and bolted everything into place.

ALL DONE! Here is the finished product! (nevermind the messy garage.)

I will get some night shots later. This thing is BRIGHT!!!

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
Oh it's bright! My mail box is about 35-40 yards from the bike, and the neighbor's house is close to 100 yards!

Now we'll see how it holds up!!

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I can appreciate someone doing their own thing, nothing wrong with that at all. Good work by the way.
What I do have a problem with is vendors selling inferior look alike products that are patented here in the US and abroad. I know it might not mean anything to some, but patent laws exist for a reason. They might be protecting your livelihood. I hope they help protect mine.
To me things like reliability, warranty and customer service mean something.
Ourselves and our Lighting Partners have been tirelessly going after ebay and back door dealers selling the Chinese knockoff lights. Its a tough and expensive game.
You have lights for a reason, if you have a failure in the mountains on a cold snowy night, is it worth the $$ you saved?

I don't want to be negative towards your project, it looks very well done. I do want riders to hopefully understand there is a difference and a very good reason why that light was so cheap.

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
I can appreciate someone doing their own thing, nothing wrong with that at all. Good work by the way.
What I do have a problem with is vendors selling inferior look alike products that are patented here in the US and abroad. I know it might not mean anything to some, but patent laws exist for a reason. They might be protecting your livelihood. I hope they help protect mine.
To me things like reliability, warranty and customer service mean something.
Ourselves and our Lighting Partners have been tirelessly going after ebay and back door dealers selling the Chinese knockoff lights. Its a tough and expensive game.
You have lights for a reason, if you have a failure in the mountains on a cold snowy night, is it worth the $$ you saved?

I don't want to be negative towards your project, it looks very well done. I do want riders to hopefully understand there is a difference and a very good reason why that light was so cheap.

I had a long post about how lightbars are manufactured, but out of conflict avoidance, I deleted it.

Thank you for the compliments.

I'm just the kind of guy that if I can make it or buy it... I'll try making it first, even if it cost me more in the end. I just like to tinker.

I hope for you, that you are right, and the knockoff bar fails. If it does, I'll come to you, I promise.

I hope for myself, and my pocketbook, that the knock off holds up.

Last edited:

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Just getting ready for another trip installed chain case guard and a pod filter and inline temp gauge , i snagged a tree on one shroud last ride and it cracked my air box, i had a spare air box but figured id do away with most of it and run a pod and not have to worry about snow ingestion etc.. Heres a couple pics, I had some 2" id hose kickin around 45 degree bend and an old filter from nytro the pod or filter is actually just a stainless water bottle all drilled out..

photo (14).jpg photo (15).jpg photo (16).jpg

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Jrusher, you will sure be able to hear the intake sounds now!

It should sound good but, will it be too loud over the course of a day?

Also, what gearing have you guys settled on?

What gearing is working best for climbing or all-around use?

Back to the WR450, should I buy a 07 to 09 model or bite the bullet and get a brand new 2012 for just under $7K? The fuel injection sounds great but, the $7K price is about double what the earlier bikes are going for in my area.

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Just getting ready for another trip installed chain case guard and a pod filter and inline temp gauge , i snagged a tree on one shroud last ride and it cracked my air box, i had a spare air box but figured id do away with most of it and run a pod and not have to worry about snow ingestion etc.. Heres a couple pics, I had some 2" id hose kickin around 45 degree bend and an old filter from nytro the pod or filter is actually just a stainless water bottle all drilled out..

Where did you find that case gaurd? I like that one.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Jrusher, you will sure be able to hear the intake sounds now!

It should sound good but, will it be too loud over the course of a day?

Also, what gearing have you guys settled on?

What gearing is working best for climbing or all-around use?

Back to the WR450, should I buy a 07 to 09 model or bite the bullet and get a brand new 2012 for just under $7K? The fuel injection sounds great but, the $7K price is about double what the earlier bikes are going for in my area.

I cant hardly notice any intake noise at all.. Rode in 3 feet plus fresh today with no issues, just need more hp

Premium Features