• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

School Bus Conversions

R
Dec 31, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
Just curious if anyone else has ever built something out of a school bus. Heres a few pics of the one me and my buddies built back in Minnesota. They were taken at a local hillclimb event. I dont have any pics of the inside but theres a full bar, couches, 1 recliner and bunkbeds. Also a rocking system with 2 12 in subs under plexiglass. It is more of a party bus than anything, if you have pics of your creation or ideas for one, share them!

907JOSHDW
[/URL][/IMG]
907JOSHDW
[/URL][/IMG]

T
Nov 30, 2007
Nice! Looks like Hill City??!?

A guy I ride with built one of these. It has four captain chairs up front then a wall separating the five sleds in back. Pretty basic but it works good. Too slow though!!!! I'm not about going 65 on the interstate!!

R
Dec 31, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
Yeah it does not have crap for power, its a detroit diesel that will maybe go 60 on a good say. Its loud and smokes like hell but it gets us from a to b. Thats actually at the Golden Gate hillclimbs buy Sleepy Eye MN. Its put on buy The River Valley Dutchmen Sled Club.

S
hey rev guy-

this is going to sound really random but i used to live in wasilla and a friend of mine dated a gal that had a bus similar to yours. she was from wasilla also and she named the bus cosmic charlie, after the grateful dead song. it was painted yellow with purple, hippie **** all over it. we used to rally it from big lake to girdwood and hit all the bars in between. many sleep overs in it at koot's parking lot during "spenard-i-gras" in the summer. i think her name was allison but i'm not sure. i know it's a stretch but i was wondering if that thing was still around. and by "that thing", i mean the bus.

R
Dec 31, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
hey rev guy-

this is going to sound really random but i used to live in wasilla and a friend of mine dated a gal that had a bus similar to yours. she was from wasilla also and she named the bus cosmic charlie, after the grateful dead song. it was painted yellow with purple, hippie **** all over it. we used to rally it from big lake to girdwood and hit all the bars in between. many sleep overs in it at koot's parking lot during "spenard-i-gras" in the summer. i think her name was allison but i'm not sure. i know it's a stretch but i was wondering if that thing was still around. and by "that thing", i mean the bus.

Well ive only been here since september of 08 so im not real sure, ill keep an I out for that machine. When were you here? Where you living now?

S
i'm back in idaho falls now. i bought a 30-day round trip ticket to anchorage back in 1996. that 30-day trip turned into a little over 2 years. being born and raised in idaho, i fell in love with the hunting, fishing, riding, drinking, etc and just couldn't leave. where else can you get a tee time at 10:00 o'clock at night? i still miss that place man. i moved from there to washington dc for a few years. as a matter of fact, one time a friend and i drove from anchorage to dc and it took us nine days but we got lost in detroit on purpose for 3 days (red wings vs. capitals for the stanley cup). probably some of the best years of my life. miss that big, blue AK sky. i still make it up to raspberry island every summer but it gets harder and harder to leave. anyways, sorry about hi-jackin your thread. enjoy it up there.

S
Feb 25, 2008
Craig CO
Me and my buddies have been talking about a bus for a few years.Cutting it in half and putting a flat bed on the back with a double decker sled bed. With multi keg setup with the taps coming out the side for easy access. A VW bus welded to the top like the old hippie buses and the most importent part a pig rooster as the back bumper on a pivot so you can swing it out of the way.

R
Dec 31, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
Me and my buddies have been talking about a bus for a few years.Cutting it in half and putting a flat bed on the back with a double decker sled bed. With multi keg setup with the taps coming out the side for easy access. A VW bus welded to the top like the old hippie buses and the most importent part a pig rooster as the back bumper on a pivot so you can swing it out of the way.

Now thats what im talking about, crazy ideas that can come true! An old school bus is like a blank canvas. Start creating!

brodie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
sheridan wyoming
Anybody seen the general lee school bus sled hauler yet. It came through sheridan wy a week or so ago. Pretty sweet though. Half the top cut down flat for sleds and then it had sleds on the inside too. Just curious if anybody else has seen it around

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I've considered a bus conversion for hauling sleds. Had one for camping as a kid and was fun to help dad build it.

What's best -

Diesel or gas engine. What make and/or how large of engine.

What size (OE passenger rating?) to haul 4ea 155" track sleds.

Air brakes or hydraulic.

Automatic or stick and if auto, is there a particular tranny or problems to watch for.

This bus would basically make a few 1000 mile drives per season and a number of 150 mile drives per season. Probably 3000-6000 miles per year.
Would like to have 4 sleds inside and still have seating for 8 people.

??

A
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Marais, MN
which busses?

I worked for Palmer bus service for 4 years as a mechanic and driver and bought one of their old International powered 77 passenger busses to party in. Most internationals in the late 80's and early 90's came with the DT444 (7.3L V8) or the DT466 which is their mid size chassis 6 Cyl diesel. Anything less than a 77 passenger is going to be too short to carry sleds AND have a comfy cabin. Not saying it can't be done, but looking at used bus prices, a 65 pass and a 77 pass are the same price...Might as well go big. I bought a late 80's international chassis bus and drove it to south padre for spring break back in 01. Good times... I had the old version of the 7.3 in mine and it was pretty gutless compared to the DT466. I think they both came in in the low 200's for HP but the I6 seems to pull harder. Most of the ones I worked on were governed @ 65mph but if everyone is comfortable and drinking, who cares right?

Premium Features