• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RMSHA Preston Hillclimb 2010

L

Lambert454

May 1, 2009
mcCall, Idaho
The first hill climb race of the year is this upcoming weekend in Preston Idaho. Iv never raced in a hill climb event and im looking forward to it. Ill be racing in the Newbie class as well as Semi-Pro 800. Anyone else racing Hill climb for the first time? Anyone have any good advise for a newbie hill climb racer? Looking forward to the race!

Lambert

S

snopro176

Nov 27, 2007
Yuba City,CA
ive never raced rmsha but always wanted to. Let me know how it goes,im trying to head to jackson from cali to run the newbie class to get it off my bucket list;). Lets us know how it goes man! good luck!

I'm assuming you have read all of the RMSHA rules and what not and have the proper safety gear, number on your sled/bib, etc. If not, send me a PM with what you do have and we will try to get you lined out before Thursday. If I were you I would show up at a decent time on Thursday afternoon to park your trailer and do some last minute tuning on your sled. You might want to check your weights in your clutch and make sure that your sled isn't going too high on RPM's. Do you have screws in your track? The rock garden at Preston can get pretty gnarly so you might want to put some in your track to help with traction. On Friday there is a driver's meeting first thing in the morning, usually at 7. This is where we go over the events for the day, new rules/changes etc. and have a prayer. You will get a running order for the day and they broadcast the whole thing on the radio so if you have a portable radio I would bring it so you don't have to sit in your truck all day to hear when you run. I'm not sure what else to tell you about it....It is pretty much a big learning experience and you just have to get out there and be in it so kudos to you for doing it! If you already know all of this, I apologize, just trying to help you out if you didn't already know.

If you have any questions, just PM me. I probably wont be back on Snowest before we leave on Thursday but I will get the PM notification on my phone. If not, good luck and we will see you there! My husband is bib #242 and I am #342 so if you're feeling lost just find one of us and we will give you a hand.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez Alaska
I'm assuming you have read all of the RMSHA rules and what not and have the proper safety gear, number on your sled/bib, etc. If not, send me a PM with what you do have and we will try to get you lined out before Thursday. If I were you I would show up at a decent time on Thursday afternoon to park your trailer and do some last minute tuning on your sled. You might want to check your weights in your clutch and make sure that your sled isn't going too high on RPM's. Do you have screws in your track? The rock garden at Preston can get pretty gnarly so you might want to put some in your track to help with traction. On Friday there is a driver's meeting first thing in the morning, usually at 7. This is where we go over the events for the day, new rules/changes etc. and have a prayer. You will get a running order for the day and they broadcast the whole thing on the radio so if you have a portable radio I would bring it so you don't have to sit in your truck all day to hear when you run. I'm not sure what else to tell you about it....It is pretty much a big learning experience and you just have to get out there and be in it so kudos to you for doing it! If you already know all of this, I apologize, just trying to help you out if you didn't already know.

If you have any questions, just PM me. I probably wont be back on Snowest before we leave on Thursday but I will get the PM notification on my phone. If not, good luck and we will see you there! My husband is bib #242 and I am #342 so if you're feeling lost just find one of us and we will give you a hand.

Nice post glad to see the support of other racers..:beer;:beer;

R

rmk_racer

Nov 26, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Headed that way Thurs. am!! Not first time tho. Don't hesitate to ask for help or advice. Most racers are really good about helping out!

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Elevation is about 4700 feet so keep that in mind for clutching.

V
May 13, 2008
Victor, ID
Remember to breath and try to relax when the green light goes on...then grab a handful and ride. Know when to be in the throttle and when to back out as Rick and Darrin would say. Make sure you know the hill and how the coarse is laid out. Watch the problem areas of the hill and watch how other racers navigate through them. I loved being in rmsha and now raising a family so I don't get out anymore. There are alot a good guys there to talk to. If your serious about it then talk to Nat Zollinger about suspensions...they have a great shock setup for racers. Smooth equals fast. Clutching helps also relevant to the sled. Good luck...wish I was going.

L

Lambert454

May 1, 2009
mcCall, Idaho
All this sounds great! I have already put screws in my track and done everything else I was told to do for safety.(Thanks to Todd Tupper) My sled feels good, but im sure im going to have to change a few things. Sounds like if I need help theirs plenty of people willing to lend a hand. Being my first race I just wont to get the first run over with. Just wont to know how much faster everyone is going to be then me. Hope the weekend goes well, good luck to all the racers.

Lambert

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Good luck to everyone!!! Hopefully be down in time to get a good spot tomorrow since I have the behemeth trailer now. Definitely don't hesitate to ask around if you need help. Even riders on different brands will give good input about most stuff. See you tomorrow!

L

Lambert454

May 1, 2009
mcCall, Idaho
So the race went well! I raced in Semi pro improved, mod as well as the new member class. I did the first run and it felt good then they posted the times and I qualified 2nd. Then in the mod class i almost missed gate six or seven and had to stop and made it through barely. Finished the run but I didnt qualify for that class.

The next morning I had the improved 800 final I missed another gate and had to turn completely around and pull all the boundary tape out of my front end. Finished the race with a 1:50 and ended up 8th. In the new member class I finished with a 1:25 good for 3rd or 4th I think? That 1:25 would of won the Semi pro improved class.

Good times with good people! Cant wait till the next race.

Lambert

Last edited:
P
Dec 9, 2007
BOZEMAN
Missed first race

I had to do a major rebuild on my sled and didn't have it ready for this last weekend.
I plan on racing the next race but had some questions on the specific safety gear. I wear body armour type upper class protection. I was going to borrow a tekvest for the event. will any tekvest work?

As far as sled prep goes.
On my skidoo clutch, can i run quickclickers, or do I have to run the bolts?
What sort of cooler protection is required for running screws?

I am really working hard to get a sled together to race. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Will
HD Racing

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
I had to do a major rebuild on my sled and didn't have it ready for this last weekend.
I plan on racing the next race but had some questions on the specific safety gear. I wear body armour type upper class protection. I was going to borrow a tekvest for the event. will any tekvest work?

As far as sled prep goes.
On my skidoo clutch, can i run quickclickers, or do I have to run the bolts?
What sort of cooler protection is required for running screws?

I am really working hard to get a sled together to race. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Will
HD Racing

don't know about the quickclicker but we were always able to run the tall head screws by just placing them to the outside of the track.. stock you can only do three across.. but check the RULES... hate to win and get the DQ in tech..

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Check the ISR book for this year. General rule of thumb 'If it doesn't say you CAN do it in the rulebook, chances are it's not allowed.' Not sure on the quickclickers ( I would say prob not, but dont quote me) It would be a good idea to email the RMSHA tech to figure that out. Screws: Any amount of screws are allowed in all 3 classes as long as they meet the requirements for traction in the rulebook. They ditched the '3 screw' rule for stock starting last year. Traction cleats are not allowed in stock.

Premium Features