• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

replacing 2012 primary clutch

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
so i was thinking about getting a new, uncalibrated, primary. did a quick online search, and i don't know what to think.... i see new oem options at like $750, then i see what appears to be chinese made clutches for like $150, and then i see websites offering "perfectly balanced and assembled" clutches for like $250, but no idea if they're oem, chinese, or something else.

what's the right way to go here?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
From what I’ve read, the cheap clutches are poorly made and don’t last.

I would stay with oem or get a Power Bloc. Syxxes likes the CVtech Power Bloc.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
yeah, if the pricing were like it used to be (i think i got one for about $400 in the past), i'd just get oem and be done. spending $600-$800 on an old 2012 is a little tough to take though. i should be retiring the stupid thing. haha.
thanks for the suggestion.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Having no personal experience with the CV Tech Powerbloc, I would do one of three options: new OEM, rebuilt OEM from Racin' Station, or 2016-2017 team primary depending on pricing.

J

jarred kale

Jul 21, 2022
USA
so i was thinking about getting a new, uncalibrated, primary. did a quick online search, and i don't know what to think.... i see new oem 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 options at like $750, then i see what appears to be chinese made clutches for like $150, and then i see websites offering "perfectly balanced and assembled" clutches for like $250, but no idea if they're oem, chinese, or something else.

what's the right way to go here?
I wonder what did you go with eventually ?

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
well, i was pretty discouraged by the prices of all these options, so i decided to just put fresh springs into both the primary and secondary. glad i went this route, cuz once i took them apart and inspected everything, i found some weird stuff....
although i was looking at the primary, since the engagement seemed odd before, everything seemed to check out ok. i ordered a new primary spring anyway, but the old one is still holding the same length and feel as the new one. it wasn't that long ago that i had the primary rollers replaced, so i was happy that everything else seemed to be holding up too.

the secondary however, is where things got haywire... first off, the plastic ramps were both loose. took them off, and they aren't anywhere near being the same size/profile. it's almost like one of them got changed out to a different style, and the other didn't. the new ones are identical parts.
i ordered the same spring, but comparing the old one, i can tell that it is sacked out. sits way lower.
not only that, but there is supposed to be a rubber spring pad at either end of the spring, but one of them was missing, so i got another one and put it in. add it all up, and i assume that i'll have a lot more pressure in the secondary, which i assume will improve my bottom end/throttle response/backshift. maybe even the engagement, if the secondary wasn't fully shifting back.

i changed out the rollers while i was at it, but they turned out to be identical in size, with no signs of wear. probably didn't need to do that, but whatever.

hard to tell, but this pic has all 4 springs in it. the primary's up front are the same height. secondary's in the back aren't.
IMG_6826.JPG

here's the difference in the ramps. odd.
IMG_6858.JPG

Premium Features